Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
JordanC97

Where to go next with my song?

Hi everybody, I'm currently in the process of writing a new song and I've come to a bit of a brick wall. I have a solid verse and chorus but I don't know what should come next!

The verse is D -> A -> B -> A
And the chorus is G -> A -> D -> B -> G -> A
And there is a post chorus which is pretty much the same as the verse except the last A is a G.

Here is what I have got so far:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...all/play1166017

The synthy piano melody is what will be vocals when I get round to it; it's going to be sung in a Blink 182 style.

I was thinking a bridge then solo or solo then bridge?! I don't know! And I don't know how to write the bridge; I've read somewhere else that the bridge should be the 5 chord but since that is what my chorus starts with, it doesn't really have a massive impact.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
HotspurJr

If you don't want a bridge, don't have a bridge. If you don't want a solo, don't have a solo. You say you don't know, so what?

As for what you should do, why not listen to a bunch of songs in this style that you like, and see what they do for inspiration.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
JordanC97

I do want a solo and bridge, I just don't know what order they would work best in.

Also, I don't know how to write the bridge because the 5 chord is the start of my chorus
Old 01-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Where should you go next? Wherever you think sounds good. That's all that matters. We're not going to write something for you. Unless you want to give us credit and pay us royalties if you become famous because of it.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanC97
I do want a solo and bridge, I just don't know what order they would work best in.

Try them both and pick the one you like better.

That's what I usually do.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Think what kind of feeling you want to have in the bridge. And how to achieve it. It could be calmer and quieter part with clean guitars for example and drums in half tempo.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Hail
kill both bass players

good chefs always taste every component of their dish to make sure there's cohesion and that the seasoning is right individually and as a whole

if they feel the dish can be bolstered by another component, they add it. if not, they do not.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
food1010
Bassist

Refer to my signature.

Do you have any ideas for either the solo or the bridge?

If not, how do you expect to know what order they should be in?

One thing to keep in mind is that a solo is a bridge. So essentially you're adding two different bridges.

My suggestion is that you choose one or the other. You can solo over the bridge chords or add vocals to the solo section if you want. My suggestion is to have one develop into the other instead of having two entirely distinct sections.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
Refer to my signature.

Do you have any ideas for either the solo or the bridge?

If not, how do you expect to know what order they should be in?

One thing to keep in mind is that a solo is a bridge. So essentially you're adding two different bridges.

My suggestion is that you choose one or the other. You can solo over the bridge chords or add vocals to the solo section if you want. My suggestion is to have one develop into the other instead of having two entirely distinct sections.

This.

The solo could use chorus/bridge/verse progression behind it (if that's what you are after). But not every song needs a solo. Try to think what you want the bridge to sound like. Not necessarily chords or melody or rhythm yet but what kind of feeling you want it to have. Then think how you could achieve that feeling: what instruments you want to use and what kind of dynamics you want them to play. And what kind of rhythm they are going to play (complex rhythm or just long chords, maybe palm muted 8th beat). Is it going to be in minor or major? (Your song was in major but if one part of the song was in minor, it could be cool.) Maybe you want to modulate (I mean, not only from D major to B minor but for example from D major to E major or something else). The bridge should also share something in common with the other parts so that it doesn't sound out of place.

If you know the answer to those questions, it will be much easier to know what you are after. Then it's only time to compose the bridge and solo.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #10
Hail
kill both bass players