Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
stranger_23

Question An awkward situation while playing with metronome

Hello again dear members of UG!! I've got a problem related to metronome that is agitating me. I am confused whether should I post this problem of mine in this particular section of the forum or somewhere else, so as I think its a technique related problem better I post it here. I know how important it is to practice with metronome as it helps the player to play evenly. But my problem is I can't keep up my playing with metronome clicks. I always get distracted by the metronome click while practicing with it. I've tried a lot to play with metronome clicks but it seems I can't. For the record playing guitar is my hobby, though I only play roughly for two hours (focused practice and playing the solos, lead lines or the songs I've already learned to play) maximum a day and I can't practice everyday but I try my level best to play everyday even if for a small time. I am not very proficient at guitar playing. But I've decided to play cleaner than before and even, so is there anyone who can help me with this? Your constructive suggestions and comments are most welcome.
stranger_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
socrfb

Perhaps a drum machine would better suit you? I personally haven't tried them yet, so somebody else on here would have to point you to some good ones.
socrfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

what exactly do you find distracting about the clicks?

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
E=MCawesome

I would say download Hydrogen Drum Machine (It's free) then set up a simple kick snare kick snare pattern and set it to the right tempo. Might be less distracting and it's easy to use.
E=MCawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
TheBigDirty716

Just like everything else, maybe try slowing it down first. count along with the clicks "1...2...3...4....1...2..." or "1..and...2..and....." if that doesn't help maybe strum a single note along with the rhythm you're working at before trying to do anything melody related. Other than that, i hate to say this, but if a metrenome click is distracting, think of whats going to happen when you start playing with other instruments? throw a drunken crowd and lighting into the mix and the metrenome click is going to be the least of your worries. Like everything else, just persevere.
TheBigDirty716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
stranger_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIsIbleNoIsE
what exactly do you find distracting about the clicks?

I try to pay too much attention to the clicks. Whether my playing is properly following the clicks or not makes my playing tensed. And that brings a huge mess in my playing. It seems I can't just follow the clicks while I'm playing even the simplest minor pentatonic scale.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
stranger_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by E=MCawesome
I would say download Hydrogen Drum Machine....

Thanks for telling me, I'll give that a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDirty716
Just like everything else, maybe try slowing it down first. count along with the clicks "1...2...3...4....1...2..." or "1..and...2..and....." if that doesn't help maybe....

I will try to follow your advice. And I've also tried foot tapping and it works a little better than the metronome, but the point is after a while my foot starts hurting and I can't keep pace with the playing when the pain starts. If I continue tapping my foot while playing which pretty much works as a metronome, will the pain eventually go away?
Old 06-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
TheBigDirty716

oh man this is getting complicated... just tap loud enough to hear yourself. Also make sure you're tapping your foot in time ( along with the clicks) or else it won't be helping at all. that kind of goes along with the single not exercise i mentioned. to really understand what im saying you'd have to put the guitar down and record yourself tapping along with the click and you'll hear (unless you've been doing it for a while) that most of the time your foot will not tap exactly on the click. (Isn't that what got the first Beatle's drummer fired?).
There's a book that came out about a month ago by Barret Tagliarino called Rhythmic Lead Guitar you might want to look into. I've been through so many books that just want to teach you a scale and have you play it up and down as fast as possible without any regard to your place in the big picture of the composition or with a real regard for making it melodically interesting (Here's is a harmonic minor scale.. here are two examples using the scale... thats it! you're as well equipped as Pantera now... more scales in volume two and three of my book! buy it! YEA RIGHT!!???) Really though, check the book out.. it might be just what you need. i've been playing off/on for 12 years now and the rhythm studies are making my playing sound better than ever.
TheBigDirty716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
sannyasidharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDirty716
(Isn't that what got the first Beatle's drummer fired?).

Not quite...it's what should have got the second drummer fired:

Journalist: Isn't it fair to say Ringo isn't exactly the best drummer in the world?
John Lennon: Are you kidding? Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles
sannyasidharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

don't expect to immediately be able to play to your usual proficiency when following a metronome. when i first started to record stuff and double-track guitar parts, i had trouble playing the some of the simplest things in perfect time. maybe you're doing alright and just have your expectations set too high. good decision to start getting your timing right, though.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
cdgraves

How can you possibly be distracted by something you're already listening to?

Drum tracks are a crutch - you need to know where you are rhythmically without the fills and kick.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #12
GuitarFreak1387

I had the same problem when i first started using a metronome.

my advice is to set it to a slow tempo. now close your eyes and listen to if for a little bit. now do something with your body to feel the beat whether its bobbing your head or tapping your foot. once you physically feel the beat while listing to the clicks. try to play with it using different subdivisions starting with whole notes, then half notes, quarter notes ect.... then try using some triplets.

It takes a bit to get use to but once you get it, like riding a bike, you'll never forget it.
GuitarFreak1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
BeeScreamer

...feel the beat....

This! I had the same issue of concentrating if my notes were hitting the beat or not and its almost too much going on and it doesn't work. Eventually you just learn to trust yourself and "feel" the beat, and if your off, it will feel wrong, or that something isn't right.

A good way to start is just mute the strings and strum the rhythem, that way your not concentrating on any notes just the feel. I still do this sometimes if I am having trouble feeling the beat, just do two bars of muted strums and then jump into the pattern on the 3rd bar.

Last edited by BeeScreamer : 06-05-2013 at 08:26 AM.
BeeScreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
stranger_23

Thanks everyone for helping.

Rate This Thread: