Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
NicKalis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Post I want to play the baritone guitar, but I dont know what to start off with?

I want to start playing the baritone guitar. I am a beginner, but I have to clue to if I should start with a classic, baritone or dreadnought guitar? I really need help please. Thanks
NicKalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
tom183
Registered User
 
tom183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Australia
If you want to play the baritone guitar then that is what you should get. I would warn you though that baritone acoustics are not very common and are usually quite pricey. How much are you willing to spend on a guitar as a beginner?
tom183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
stepchildusmc
Registered User
 
stepchildusmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
a 6 string baritone shouldnt be much more than a normal guitar. there are plenty out there worth trying. the cool thing about the baritone is that you can throw a capo on the second fret and poof ! it's back to standard E tuning.... of course you can just buy a regular guitar and tune it down a whole step..the would have the same net effect.
that would be my recommendation.. a normal guitar tuned down... until you decide if a true baritone is right for you.
i myself would love to get an 8 string baritone but i can't bring myself to do it as i really wouldn't have a real NEED for one.
__________________
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
patticake
Acoustic Goddess
 
patticake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Right under the Hollywood sign
i've only played 4 and 8 string baritones. if you want to play the baritone, get a baritone. here's the bottom of the line blueridge model for not too much money:
http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdet...or/130795/89209

it sounded good to me, but then i've only played a limited number of baritones. in any event, it didn't sound bad.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
Bikewer
Registered User
 
Bikewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reasons for buying a baritone might include that you have a naturally low voice and feel that this instrument might suit your vocal qualities better..... But lots of "basso" singers have managed quite well with normal tuning... You just find a key you can sing in.

Or, you might just like the sound.

Bear in mind that when you go to play your baritone with other players, you may have to do some mental gymnastics to find the right key/chords to fit in; but it's not that difficult.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Stud_Muffin
UG's Voice of Reason
 
Stud_Muffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: York, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
i've only played 4 and 8 string baritones. if you want to play the baritone, get a baritone. here's the bottom of the line blueridge model for not too much money:
http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdet...or/130795/89209

it sounded good to me, but then i've only played a limited number of baritones. in any event, it didn't sound bad.


That's a tenor guitar, so that'll be tuned higher, and usually in fifths (CGDA or GDAE).

http://www.rguitars.co.uk/products/...CFRPItAodTAEAYg

This is probably more up your street, but tuning down may work on a normal acoustic (I often use open C on mine), or find a key that you can sing in, if this is the issue.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by -[NiL]-
You're cuter than Bieber.


Stud_Muffin: Officially cuter than Justin Bieber since '92.

Stud_Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:49 AM   #7
patticake
Acoustic Goddess
 
patticake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Right under the Hollywood sign
*D'OH!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_Muffin
That's a tenor guitar, so that'll be tuned higher, and usually in fifths (CGDA or GDAE).

http://www.rguitars.co.uk/products/...CFRPItAodTAEAYg

This is probably more up your street, but tuning down may work on a normal acoustic (I often use open C on mine), or find a key that you can sing in, if this is the issue.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.