Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #9941
AtaBorMan
UG's reclusive wanker

Banjo: I really like that Jesus picture.

I took the bike for a ride in the first sunlight in a week, it's been gloomy for ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
AtaBorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #9942
MadClownDisease
Just a Turing Machine.

I've decided I should finally get round to editing my pictures from my trip to Dubrovnik in the summer, so watch out guys, pics will be incoming!

Peacocks are amazing. I'm finding it hard to get the pictures balanced right so they really show off their colours etc though.

(and the least artistic but probably most impressive one)

This is my first edited shot of the city itself, but I really don't think I got a high quality enough shot to show off how nice it looked. The paving stones were amazingly shiny, even though it hadn't rained at all. Lovely place.

EDIT: And one of the walls, why not!

Last edited by MadClownDisease : 10-19-2014 at 05:01 PM.
MadClownDisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #9943
Paleo Pete

Couple of mine from recent photo outings. Don't bitch about the watermark, too many people online stealing others' work and selling it, I have to try and slow that down.

I've been into photography for over 30 years, always used Pentax gear except for a Minolta 35mm SRT101 that I liked really well too. Using a Pentax K30 DSLR now, mostly using older manual focus lenses. The ones I use for birds are a Makinon 135mm and Vivitar 200mm, for flowers and macros any of several Pentax 50m lenses, most 30 years old or more. They still do quite well, and lens availability is one of the reasons I stayed with Pentax. THey are the only company that didn't change their lens mounts on DSLR cameras, so any K mount Pentax lens ever made will work.

These are mostly unedited, about 90% of the time all I do is crop and resize them. I don't post anything online larger than 1024x768, which is a good viewing size, but won't print very large, so people find it difficult to get anything large enough to steal and make money off my work.

I'm primarily into nature photography, and mostly birds, but I do the occasional sunset, and a lot of flowers and insects as well.

wwww.flickr.com/paleopete is the link to the main flickr account.

Ruby Throated Hummingbird

IMGP55900 by Paleo Pete, on Flickr

Immature Little Blue Heron. This is a first year bird, 2nd year is white with blue/gray mottled markings, adult is blue with a reddish head and neck. I'll see if I can find a shot of the adult too.

IMGP55164 by Paleo Pete, on Flickr

Red Bellied Woodpecker

IMGP43579 by Paleo Pete, on Flickr

And a tiny bee, this little guy would barely reach across a pencil eraser.

IMGP49703 by Paleo Pete, on Flickr

It seems I don't have anything posted of the adult Little Blue Heron ...
Old 10-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #9944
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks

Good shots - especially the hummingbird - but mate, there's a reason there are a million and one successful pros interviewed on their craft on various reputable sites saying "drop the watermark". Asides from looking like arse, it's distracting (look into perceptual psychology - our eyes gravitate towards glyphs) to the point of ruining an online portfolio. If they wanted to steal it a watermark would do little to nothing to stop them unless it covered the entire image. Shopping it out is hilariously easy to anyone with decent experience with even GIMP and simply resizing to <1000px is a pleasing and professional way of doing it.

Last edited by Banjocal : 10-19-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #9945
Diamond Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjocal
You should be. If those pics are representative of your general work quality a university would be clawing for you. Thoughts on the others, if you wouldn't mind? Sorry to be a leech but I'd value it if you're willing

my pleasure man

firstly as a general comment I'd say similarly to your advice to this other guy about the watermarks, I think bigger pictures are always better. I know we've got some rules of the thread about size but I'd really like to be able to click through and see them a bit bigger to get a good look at them.

#1 like I said, I just like the guys expression and the colour. I don't know exactly why but there's just something about the moment there that I find kind of intriguing, its nice.

#2 this one appears to be nice too, but like I said its kind of hard to see anything when its so small. At a size where I can see her better and more of the details inside the store I think I'd like it a lot more.

#3 feels like one of those things that you see and think "hey, that's kind of interesting" but its actually hard or even impossible to get an interesting photo out of it. I had the exact same thing the other day when I saw this sick Tintin graffiti and just had to take some photos, but when I got home I kind of felt like "well... its just a photo of graffiti" and I put it in the meh pile.

#4 & 5 I'm not too sure about, cool effects but they're not really doing anything for me beyond that. Obviously not everything needs to have a story, but these sorts of things need to wow with their form, whether it be with the use of line, shapes, whatever. Check out this little website by the guy who does "The Art of Photography" on youtube http://compositionstudy.com/

Kasabian - Fire fan video/uni work. Watch it!

Jackson Dinky with TB-11 + SH-1 Pickups & Gotoh Floyd Rose
Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12
Diamond Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #9946
Diamond Dave

d-d-double post with more pics

Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM   #9947
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Dragonfly wing macro
Attached Images

Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM   #9948
willT08
Official Classist

the only 2 of about 100 i took that i think weren't entirely shit

show
show
and i still think the second one's a bit "oh look at me i just got a camera"
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM   #9949
Baby Joel
Sorry for ruining UG :(

Will I'm stealing that first image and using it as an album cover, just so you know
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM   #9950
Diamond Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
the only 2 of about 100 i took that i think weren't entirely shit

show
show
and i still think the second one's a bit "oh look at me i just got a camera"

gotta start somewhere man, they're cool. Very low-key which is something I can't bring myself to do but it looks good. There are certainly plenty of places you could take them if you think they look a bit flat. Most photos look flat out of the camera, people pump the crap out of the contrast to get a punchy look.

Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12

Rate This Thread: