Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Music Theory Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
Rounder3

what can I do to make solos more interesting over just C chord.

I have a backing track that is just C for about 3 minutes. I know I can do C major scale and use arpeggios for the C chord but what else can I do to make it more interesting.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
meatwad357

make sounds a guitar just cant do, like pink floyd ala saucerful of secrets. 3 minutes is a long time
Old 05-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
Seryaph
Soul Searchin'

Try using the C minor scale. In essence, use notes that are outside of the C Maj scale.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
psychokiller99

modes.
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's

Last edited by psychokiller99 : 05-23-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:45 AM   #5
Deep*Kick

change the chord progression. one chord for a whole song is not worth your time soloing over
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:13 AM   #6
silly6-string
keep rocking

1 would be boring. U would have to come up with a lot of different sounds. 3 min is a whole song.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Old 05-24-2009, 02:13 AM   #7
shr3dfr3ak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder3
I have a backing track that is just C for about 3 minutes. I know I can do C major scale and use arpeggios for the C chord but what else can I do to make it more interesting.

http://www.guitarshredfreaks.com/ enough said!!
Old 05-24-2009, 04:28 AM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shr3dfr3ak

Don't advertise.

TS: This is one of the very few situations where I will say modes have a use; if you learn the major and dominant modes you should be able to get some much more interesting sounds as well as possibly using some chord-tone lead soloing but I'll agree with everyone who said that one chord for an entire track is way too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Old 05-24-2009, 05:09 AM   #9
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep*Kick
change the chord progression. one chord for a whole song is not worth your time soloing over

Tell that to Satriani.

In Raspberry Jam Delta-V, almost the entire song has just this bassline (Static B vamp), and I like every moment of it.

Code:
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S -----------------------------------|-----------------------------------| -----------------------------------|-----------------------------------| --2b-0-2-L-L-0-2-0-2-0-2---0---0-0-|--2b-0-2-L-L-0-2-0-4-2-0---0---0-0-| -------------------------2---2-----|-------------------------2---2-----|

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 05-24-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:44 AM   #10
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder3

That's down to you - ultimately everybody has 12 notes on their guitar but they still manage to sound different.

This has nothing to do with scales, or modes, or techniques...this is about YOU. If you want to make interesting music then you have to start thinking in sounds, not just in terms of "guitar stuff I know". Saying to yourself "This is in C so I can play the C major scale or C major arpeggios" is of course going to sond boring because you're not really playing music, you're just stringing together a bunch of familiar patterns.

You need to start thinking, listening and understanding more. The C major scale isn't a pattern for you to play, it has a pattern but that's just how it appears on the guitar. It's a set of sounds, notes separated by intervals and you need to drill yourself on how it sounds and how those notes relate to each other because that's what's crucial, not the shape - the shape is incidental and simply a quirk of the guitar, you don't need a guitar to make music or play a scale. You don't even need an instrument. That scale is your aural reference, a framework of sounds that are safe to work with over a certain backing, with handy names and functions assigned to each note to help things even more. It's a head's up for you, a way to help you know how certain notes are going to sound before you play them, And by association, if you know what the notes of the scale are going to sound like you can know what the notes outside the scale will sound like too. They aren't part of the scale itself because they don't sound as nice but they're no less useable, you just have to know how to make their sound work in the context of the scale so that often means using them as passing tones, either with chromatic shifts or bends for example.

If you can't make music without a guitar then you'll never be able to make it with one. By that I mean you need to be able to draw on whatever musical knowledge and experience you have to enable you to create someting of your own. If you can create something in your head then you should be able to hum or sing it, and that's a damnsight easier then playing it on the guitar. Why? Because you know how to "play" any note you want with your voice, you've got complete control of it as well as knowing exactly what to do to get te sound you want.

You simply don't have that level of mastery over the guitar yet so you can't just go straight to it. Listen to your backing and compose ideas in your head, then sing them back to yourself and listen to how they sound, and only after that figure out how to play them on the guitar. The more you do that the stronger you'll make the connections between what you hear in your head, the sounds that you finally make and whatever it is you physically had to do to make those sounds.

Remember the thing that matters most when playing the guitar is the note you're about to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com

Last edited by steven seagull : 05-24-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #11
Deep*Kick

^epic post. Open your ears TS
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #12
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

I'd like to add a few tips to make it work;

Satriani does something very smart if I may say so in Raspberry jam.

Notice the different notes on the bass line

What he does is by smarty rhythmic playing, forcing the ear to shift the tonal center, makign the individual notes act like root notes or individual tonal centers.

So he sometimes resolves on a different note, doing a pseudo modal inflection, by making very smart use of off rhythm motif and certain note accenting.

But ye, he's master in that kind of stuff, but just practice all day long, untill you get into that awareness of the track.

I gotta go now, but I will elaborate on this later today with an example of how to psychology fool the ear to shift tonal centres on other notes in the chord.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 05-24-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #13
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Right, I'ma archiving this before I completely forget about it. Nice stuff steve and darren.

Rate This Thread: