Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
omgman

Best way to train your ears and...

What would you guys say is the best way to train your ears? I also need help on things like time signature, like how do you tell if it's 4/4 or 3/4 and when singers sing how do they know where to sing the words.
omgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Musictheory.net has stuff on rhythm that can help. I have a link to it in my sig. There is an ear trainer at mile.be that often gets suggested here.

Have you looked at the sheet music of a song and connected it to what is playing? Take a look at the music for nursery rhymes and other simple stuff like them. Or take a pop song from today and count out the beats and get a sense of what 4/4 time is. Then look up well known songs in 3/4 time (just a quick Google search will work) and count the beats.

EDIT: I was listening to this song and figured its worth a shot. Once the guitar riff get going, keep counting up to 4.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort

Last edited by rockingamer2 : 11-27-2012 at 11:06 PM.
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Hail
kill both bass players

the absolute best way to train your ears is to learn music. not 'what's an easy song to learn by ear' kind of stuff - learn music you enjoy. music where you have to pick apart every detail, music that challenges you, music that has an emotional effect on you. try and understand why that is, how you can do that, and how you can take that information and use it tastefully and in a way that represents your perspective on music
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist

what he said. just learn what moves you. if you get frustrated, maybe try something a little bit easier, but still something you like a lot. because if you like it you can sing it. and if you can sing it you can play it. it's just a matter of intensifying that connection between your hands and your brain/ears.

as far as time signatures, to get an understanding of it pay a lot of attention to drums at first. from then on you'll be able to understand what's going on. listen to where the big downbeat is. listen to how frequently that pulse starts over.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:29 AM   #5
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

The more songs you learn, the more you realize that anything goes..... theory helps though.... it stops the randomness of finding the next bit of your composition..... or at least gives you likely starting points...
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgman
What would you guys say is the best way to train your ears? I also need help on things like time signature, like how do you tell if it's 4/4 or 3/4 and when singers sing how do they know where to sing the words.

I think the best way to train your ears is not to just listen to music, but to make a point of it. Some people don't have to do this, but since you're asking, I'm guessing that training your ears is something you need to work on.

First, download the functional ear trainer from miles.be. It's free, will be hard at first, but stick with it. Pays huge dividends.

Second, once you've got some traction with that, get a book on ear training. Something like Wyatt et al's "Ear Training For the Contemporary Musician" will help get you started hearing more abstract concepts.

THEN listen. Stuff like "where to sing the words" is something you're going to have to figure out by listening, listening, listening ... but you'll hear a lot more if you're working on your ear directly.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

inb4 functional ear trainer from...

Damn it.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
ouchies
UG's OG

Not sure if this is the "best" but learning how to sing really took my ear training to the next level
Old 11-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
omgman

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try it and I guess it's just practices makes perfect.
omgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
inb4 functional ear trainer from...

Damn it.

HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #11
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

I also think that in addition to the above, just listening to a shit-ton of music really helps
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: