Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
syzee

NGD.... Chapman ML2 Trans Black

as some of you may know, i ordered this particular guitar last August when the pre orders were first opened up...... then just before xmas, i managed to bag an original run natural finish ML2, which has become my 'go to' guitar as I absolutely love it! i did end up changing the pups in that one for some Iron Gear Hot Slags and it now sings....
Now.... this week, my pre ordered Trans Black ML2 arrived and all I can say is WOW!!
first impressions are that it's a work of art, much like its predecessor, but where as that was a natural waxed finish... this is a see through black with a flame top... and its beautiful!
a brief run of the specs are as follows :

2 piece mahogany body, with flame maple veneer.
Hi Gloss finish.
Maple neck with ebony fret board.
Extra Jumbo Frets.
350mm (13 ) Radius.
43mm Nut Width (57mm at 24th fret).
25 Scale Length.
Set neck construction.
Satin finish to reverse of neck with gloss finish on headstock.
HH configuration with 2 x Chapman Guitarnivore Humbucker Pickups
Tone Pro Bridge & tail Piece
TUSQ Nut
Grover Machine Heads
3 way pickup switch with tone & 2 x volume controls tone control is pulled out to activate coil tap.

Now, the feel of the guitar is great! well balanced, not too heavy yet heavy enough!
the neck is wide, yet slim feeling and it plays fantastically!
the pickups are the surprise for me, as I said earlier, i switched out the pups in my original ML2 but these have been designed by Rob Chapman specifically for his guitars and these sing!
They sound great on the clean channel with a really useable coil tap feature that actually does work well! also, the switching between the pups works flawlessly and offers a great option of varying the volume on both pups and getting a decent mix of the two if required.
The neck is warm and creamy, whilst the bridge offers some serious bite!
switching to the gain channel and these things really come to life!.... i was pleasantly surprised by how hot they sound and i don't se me changing these out any time soon!

now for some pics and a link to my cheesy, teen like unboxing vid!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ut0e43q8d...6%2019%2036.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a6sv6oj1t...6%2020%2037.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sf1sh2k71...6%2032%2001.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhtikwxwq...6%2032%2010.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f840e33f9...6%2032%2020.jpg

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
syzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
manikmunky

Congrats man, nice looking guitar!

I've been looking for something in this style, around this price. How would you say they compare to the PRS SE range?
manikmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

It does look really really nice. I'd be very interested in playing one but I'm not sure that I'll be doing that anytime soon because they aren't stocked anywhere near me.

How much do these go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
manikmunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
It does look really really nice. I'd be very interested in playing one but I'm not sure that I'll be doing that anytime soon because they aren't stocked anywhere near me.

How much do these go for?

449 on andertons. I might have to pop down and play one at some point soon, they're an hour or so from me.
manikmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
cdhowell

Man I've been watching all the youtube vids from Chapman and am really interested in this guitar. I believe Andertons in the UK is only source for them at the moment. Hope they make it to U.S. I may end up ordering one anyways, just a pain with shipping. Beautiful Guitar. HNGD!!
cdhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I thought it would be a lot more than that.

That puts it right in competition with higher end Epiphones, Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded and some PRS. It would be interesting to compare them. Seeing as it's a small company I would expect quality control to be very good, but I'd expect it to be higher because his production costs would be very high.

So I do wonder.

I have mixed feelings about the dude, but people do seem to like these guitars.

Edit: I just found out they're made in China.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 03-18-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
syzee

Quote:

The original ML2's were made in China, these runs are made in Korea at the same factory as the PRS SE line.

I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and I can safely say the the ML2 is easily as good, if not better on build quality and as far as playability is concerned..... they're awesome!
clearly, things like that are subjective but I personally, love them!

The spec of guitar for that money is amazing but there has been a huge saving because Rob Chapman is having the guitars built in the factory then sent straight to Andertons who are supplying the end user... therefore cutting out any other middle men and their markups on price!

amazing value for money, because I'm pretty sure a guitar of this quality and spec would otherwise cost nearer the 800 - 1000 mark?

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
syzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
I thought it would be a lot more than that.

That puts it right in competition with higher end Epiphones, Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded and some PRS. It would be interesting to compare them. Seeing as it's a small company I would expect quality control to be very good, but I'd expect it to be higher because his production costs would be very high.

So I do wonder.

What's wrong with MIC?

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
Scratcher17

I'd probably buy one of these if I didn't have to buy itwithout trying it out beforehand.
Scratcher17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Seeing as this necrobump has alerted me to your disdain at my comment, Allen, I'll reply to it.

Quality control can sometimes be iffy due to a lack of trade laws that ensure certain standards on machinery, working hours etc. That being said it wouldn't stop me buying something but it would make me look into the overall quality and reputation of the product a bit more than if it were MIA.

Loads of our shit comes from China and it doesn't bother me. I did read a few instances of people getting some bad guitars from this company, but that's true with all companies.

Quote:

Old 06-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
archerygenious
Andrew for short

Location: In your yard, bringing all the boys to it with my milkshakes
Quote:

Same, he's kinda gone down hill from being the nice, down to earth guy to the token "rock n roll guy who's fame as had the better of him" - he just seems full of himself most of the time these days, and posts videos on his youtube channel of people flashing their boobs at download festival and women pole dancing in America, no wonder things "didn't work out with Mrs Chappers"...

On the guitar front, QC is very good, it's all done at Andertons warehouse by 2 guitar techs who know their stuff and this time around they're apparently coming out the factory setup pretty good too

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
archerygenious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #12
timjackson142

Hi all,

I recently was vacationing in the uk and bought an ml2. Im from Australia and these guitars are not available here so going to andertons was a bit of a tourist attraction. I have to agree with one of the other guys that said that he liked chappers better before his notoriety but I wanted to try his guitar out none the less.

I originally i went there with the intention of buying a taylor gs mini acoustic but after playing the ml2 I couldn't resist. Im left handed so there were only 2 chapman guitars there that I could play. Actually this is pretty good considering that in most music shops their are only 2 left handed guitars in total. If you are left handed you will know what I mean. Anyway if you have been playing for a while you will have learnt to trust your ears regardless of brand or reputation. The chapman is a good guitar with the potential to be great. I have a epiphone les paul standard with slash's pickups (sue me I like his sound), a stock mexican tele and a mexican strat with custom pickups. I guess you could say I have so experience with midmpriced guitars.

The ml2 is superior to all the guitars I mentioned by some way. The build quality is awesome, the pickups are average at best and lack warmth. The look is a bit bland. Its my opinion and its subjective but its honest. If you favour playability, feel and tone over flashy colour and you are willing to add $220 (au) for some killer pups you will end ups will a $1100 ( approx au) guitar that is superior to every other guitar in the price bracket (prs se included) and most guitar with double the price tag.

These are not "budget" guitars and do not have a budget price. They are serious instruments with a moderate price.

The Andertons guys were nice but charged me twice which took a week to sort out. I bit inconvenient since I was on holiday and some of my holiday money was not available for a time. They were incompetent unfortunately and failed to call me back on several occasions despite their reassurances. Capt Lee was MIA for little old me and to be honest the whole purchasing experience pissed me off to no end.

Hopefully you can see that I am no mad chappers and lee fan. I can honestly say that this is the best guitar I own and one of the best I have played regardlees of yout tube brand or reputation. At the end of the day trust your ears and who gives a shit what anyone else thinks.

Cheers
timjackson142 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: