User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #12641
steve_muse
Never had this before

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
I just finished it last night, and I won't ruin it for you or anything but it was properly gr8. I've ordered a few more Mieville books but I've got a few other books to choose from as well so I don't know what I'll start next. Possibly The Machine by James Smythe, sounds really good.

hah ikr, it had me at "photosynthesise sunlight with our hair"
a good concept draws me in so easily

I have something to confess: I've never read anything by Terry Pratchett. I always hear a lot of praise for him but I don't know where to start.

Sweet, yeah everyone who's read it seems to really dig it. Tell me what you get. Can highly recommend The Scar cos it has what is probs one of the most admirable depictions of a woman by a male writer (like, she's not some badass in leather nor some meek fool), just a really tight consideration of being a woman. and y'know, if you're into fun fantasy adventure, intrigue and strange cities/places/creatures.

Incidentally, his book King Rat is set around the jungle/DnB music scene so you might dig that not read it myself tho.

As for Pratchett, I started with Guards! Guards! which I enjoyed but found it a bit too childish/corny sometimes, and the only other thing I've read is Mort which I liked too but it's that same thing of getting tired of his humour, but either of them are a good start. My mate who's a big fan says Night's Watch is his favourite, for what it's worth.
steve_muse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #12642
valacirca
bodiless power of heaven

Currently Reading

The Stand by Stephen King - p. 26 of 1,168 (2%)
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft , by Stephen King - p. 82 of 297 (28%)
Fear Of Flying by Erica Jong - p. 235 of 340 (69%)
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - p. 272 of 662 (41%)
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami - p. 373 of 607 (61%)

copied from goodreads which is why that's like that.
valacirca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:26 AM   #12643
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by valacirca

That book is excellent. You'll like the next book in the series too.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:24 AM   #12644
valacirca
bodiless power of heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
That book is excellent. You'll like the next book in the series too.

Indeed it is! I'm definitely planning on reading the 2nd book.

Book was just steady good for the most part, but things started to get really great once
show
Old 08-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #12645
Conor360
To Live Is To Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by valacirca
Currently Reading

The Stand by Stephen King - p. 26 of 1,168 (2%)
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft , by Stephen King - p. 82 of 297 (28%)
Fear Of Flying by Erica Jong - p. 235 of 340 (69%)
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami - p. 373 of 607 (61%)

copied from goodreads which is why that's like that.

I've been wanting to read this, how is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Conor360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #12646
valacirca
bodiless power of heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor360
I've been wanting to read this, how is it?

So far it's been more memoir than it is about "on writing", really... He starts of with recollections of his childhood and only around 50 pages in does he really get into his beginnings as Stephen King the writer we know now.

Past a quarter into it, he's already discussing Carrie and there are a lot of nice anecdotes about how the characters and ideas were conceived and came together. Also a good number of scattered reflections on the craft (and business) of being a writer that will be of interest to aspiring authors.

Last edited by valacirca : 08-16-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #12647
SexyBeast810
Shut up and thrash

Just got done reading Cell by Stephen King. I thought it was really good. Kind of a zombie apocalypse type thing, with some rather scary and creepy parts to it.

Now I have Stieg Larrson's "Millennium" trilogy, as well as It, Under the Dome, and Er by Stephen King up next. Should keep me busy for a while.

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
SexyBeast810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:55 PM   #12648
guitarxo
UG Senior Member

Gonna start reading The Idiot soon. I also found an Italian novel at the gym so I brought it home and will attempt to read it based on the 3 week course I did, words that look similar to Spanish, and a dictionary.

RIP ;c
guitarxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:04 AM   #12649
niqolaise

If it's a well known novel, I would search for an English translation of it (or another language you're fluent in). And then compare each sentence. I like to do that.

Last edited by niqolaise : 08-18-2014 at 12:06 AM.
niqolaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:15 PM   #12650
deadsmileyface
my best friend is a alien

just finished the unbearable lightness of being. amazing read. defs my new favorite book.
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM   #12651
valacirca
bodiless power of heaven

Started the Storm Front audiobook because I felt like trying out audiobooks. Pretty great.
Old Today, 09:13 AM   #12652
guitarxo
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqolaise
If it's a well known novel, I would search for an English translation of it (or another language you're fluent in). And then compare each sentence. I like to do that.

I bet I'd love doing that but unfortunately even Google doesn't know this book there must be a reason it got left behind at the gym, but I'd like to read it anyway

I was wondering how many of you have read Twilight? I just found out that one of my profs wrote this article about why everyone should read Twilight. I don't agree haha but it's interesting I guess

http://singaporereviewofbooks.org/2...-twilight-saga/

RIP ;c
Old Today, 09:59 AM   #12653
steve_muse
Never had this before

^that was interesting, but the conclusion that Bella is the perfect object is a little worrying. I mean I know he's using 'object' in the theoretical way (subject/object), but I fail to see in what way her character being silenced is a good thing.
Old Today, 10:03 AM   #12654
ultimate-slash
the punctuation mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxo
I bet I'd love doing that but unfortunately even Google doesn't know this book there must be a reason it got left behind at the gym, but I'd like to read it anyway

I was wondering how many of you have read Twilight? I just found out that one of my profs wrote this article about why everyone should read Twilight. I don't agree haha but it's interesting I guess

http://singaporereviewofbooks.org/2...-twilight-saga/

I haven't read Twilight, and though your professor's piece was an interesting read, I must say it hasn't really convinced me to do so. It's as if he's saying: it's a bad book, but if you ignore the bad parts, you might see this interesting thing which I've already summed up here.

I did read a few chapters of 50 shades of grey though, partly out of interest, mostly out of boredom I guess I can kind of see why it has become so big.

On another note, I just finished reading The Prestige. Didn't even know it was originally a book (loved the movie) until I saw it in the bookshop a week ago. The book definitely didn't disappoint me and I think they've done quite a good job of adapting the story for the big screen.
This little piggy violated virgins
And this little piggy clambered over a heap of dead bodies to get to the top

ultimate-slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:07 AM   #12655
Cianyx
dip i dip u dip dip i dip

^I'd probably disagree with him that it's essential purely because of an accidental concept she might have stumbled upon. It's still a trainwreck of a book, packed with purple prose that serves no other higher purpose (or any at all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsmileyface
just finished the unbearable lightness of being. amazing read. defs my new favorite book.

Cool, I just picked that up. In the mail soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_muse
^that was interesting, but the conclusion that Bella is the perfect object is a little worrying. I mean I know he's using 'object' in the theoretical way (subject/object), but I fail to see in what way her character being silenced is a good thing.

That last paragraph is so much fun to take out of context

Last edited by Cianyx : Today at 10:08 AM.
Cianyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:21 AM   #12656
guitarxo
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cianyx
^I'd probably disagree with him that it's essential purely because of an accidental concept she might have stumbled upon. It's still a trainwreck of a book, packed with purple prose that serves no other higher purpose (or any at all).

Yeah this is what I was thinking too. If the point of reading it is to understand that concept, I'm sure there are plenty of other books which do the same thing and are more enjoyable too. However I did like it on facebook when he posted it

I am so fed up with The Idiot. Parts 1 and 2 were gripping, but Part 3 was unbearably tedious and I'm basically forcing myself to finish the rest now because the ending looks promising. I always feel slightly guilty for disliking "classics" but then I remember I've read Pride and Prejudice zillions of times (granted, there wasn't much else to read in English at my grandparents' house besides the newspaper, but I could've gone to the library) and suddenly it doesn't matter what anyone likes anymore as long as I like it.

RIP ;c
Old Today, 10:22 AM   #12657
steve_muse
Never had this before

@clanyx i prefer purple prose generally, but yea I can see how it could be used incompetently.

Last edited by steve_muse : Today at 11:48 AM.
Old Today, 10:25 AM   #12658
guitarxo
UG Senior Member

I like purple prose when it's used humorously (PG Wodehouse in the Mr. Mulliner stories)

RIP ;c
Old Today, 11:48 AM   #12659
steve_muse
Never had this before

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxo
Yeah this is what I was thinking too. If the point of reading it is to understand that concept, I'm sure there are plenty of other books which do the same thing and are more enjoyable too. However I did like it on facebook when he posted it

I am so fed up with The Idiot. Parts 1 and 2 were gripping, but Part 3 was unbearably tedious and I'm basically forcing myself to finish the rest now because the ending looks promising. I always feel slightly guilty for disliking "classics" but then I remember I've read Pride and Prejudice zillions of times (granted, there wasn't much else to read in English at my grandparents' house besides the newspaper, but I could've gone to the library) and suddenly it doesn't matter what anyone likes anymore as long as I like it.

^i comfort myself by saying I'm just a modernist at heart whose modern sensibility will never entertain older prose. But I do like some older stuff so I dunno. I'm constantly trying to get into Dickens but it's hard to sustain interest sometimes. And yeah, I've long since given up the anxiety about 'essential reads' and stuff, read what you like.

Last edited by steve_muse : Today at 11:50 AM.

Rate This Thread: