Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
reno.staples

I need serious help with my picking

I'm totally self taught (8 years), I do not anchor, and I don't think I'm a very effective picker. I feel like not picking correctly is really holding my playing back because I do not feel like I should be able to say I've been playing for 8 years.

Everyone says you need to pick the strings at an angle but how do you do that on the top strings if there isn't a place to rest your hand? When I try to rest it on the bridge not only is it uncomfortable and inaccurate but it's muted. To do it open I would have to have my hand just floating there. Since that doesn't work I've learned to have the heel of my hand rested on the body of the guitar but that isn't the most efficient way either because it makes it really difficult to switch strings. My concern is, where do I rest my hand and if I'm supposed to rest it on the bridge, how do I go about that? Because it doesn't feel comfortable at all. I really need help. I look up videos on a daily basis trying to fix this having no luck and it's pretty frustrating haha. Thanks
reno.staples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
sw4l

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno.staples
I'm totally self taught (8 years), I do not anchor, and I don't think I'm a very effective picker. I feel like not picking correctly is really holding my playing back because I do not feel like I should be able to say I've been playing for 8 years.

Everyone says you need to pick the strings at an angle but how do you do that on the top strings if there isn't a place to rest your hand? When I try to rest it on the bridge not only is it uncomfortable and inaccurate but it's muted. To do it open I would have to have my hand just floating there. Since that doesn't work I've learned to have the heel of my hand rested on the body of the guitar but that isn't the most efficient way either because it makes it really difficult to switch strings. My concern is, where do I rest my hand and if I'm supposed to rest it on the bridge, how do I go about that? Because it doesn't feel comfortable at all. I really need help. I look up videos on a daily basis trying to fix this having no luck and it's pretty frustrating haha. Thanks

When I switched to unanchored playing a week or two ago I had trouble with the top strings strings as well I found that resting my bottom fingers on the higher strings helped and I do not really rest my hand on the bridge hard I rest on the strings to help with muting. practice it so that your not changing the angle your picking hand attacks the strings but find what's comfortable for you. I also found for me that chocking up on the pick helped alot with the top strings. There isn't a standard pick this way or your technique sucks. different stuff works for different people. This is what worked for me. Maybe someone else can give you a more experienced point of view on this style of picking.
sw4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
reno.staples

Thanks for the advice man. But, if my hand is resting on the strings to help with muting, how would I go about picking the top strings open? I also feel like I won't be able to be very accurate or fast resting my hand on the strings. Is it because I'm not used to it or just how it is?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
EqualOfHeaven
The Great Sage

Kinda sounds like you're overthinking it. There's no magic technique to accuracy or speed, just experience. Playing without anchoring your hand is a useful skill so roll with it, I rarely anchor my hand when playing, only when palm muting, I think it's much better really.

I had to actually pick up my guitar and play it for a second to figure it out, cause I wasn't really conscious of it, but I found I anchor my arm on the guitar rather than the hand, which kind of explains my inclination towards traditional guitar bodies and higher staps now that I think about it...

It's not something I'm great at explaining, but, just practice a lot, and if you're doing something different it's not necessarily wrong, you look at all the old school rockstars like The Who and The Beatles, they played unanchorded. I can move into palm muting from unanchored myself, you just need to practice to develop the reflex.

Basically just roll with it.

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
EqualOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
reno.staples

Yeah I get what you're saying dude. But I've been playing 8 years and am nowhere near where I should be so there has to be something that I'm not doing right and it's something with my picking. Idk haha
Old 06-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
Vypor
FoxHound Elite

If your comfortable palm muting, then just lower your hand underneath the bridge or on top of the bridge so the strings aren't muted.

Also, this may feel different depending on the type of bridge you have, and you may want to experiment with other guitars that have different bridges because some do feel different than others.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
ShreddinShane

I'm one of those "anything goes" types but you need to rest your hand on the bridge for a few reasons.

1)-Fast picking should come from the wrist. If you are a elbow or an arm picker you run the risk of hurting yourself.

2)-By using the bridge as the point of pivot you can mute the strings. If you don't mute the upper strings with the fatty part of your picking hand palm you will ring you and sound terrible.

of course there are exceptions but these rules are true for most people.

I was taught hand placement by taking your picking hand making a karate chop like hand shape. Line that up vertically with the bridge and place it along where the strings and bridge meet. Move it around to increase/decrease the amount of muting.

Now its going to feel uncomfortable at first because your not used to to it. Trust me with use it will begin to feel right.

As I will always say....Dont get frustrated! I obsessed over picking technique for a few years and finally I broke through and hit my goals. I then realize you just need to do your practice and not worry about it after that. With repeated clean practice you will get there. I promise.
ShreddinShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
N1K156
Having difficulties...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreddinShane
I'm one of those "anything goes" types but you need to rest your hand on the bridge for a few reasons.

1)-Fast picking should come from the wrist. If you are a elbow or an arm picker you run the risk of hurting yourself.

2)-By using the bridge as the point of pivot you can mute the strings. If you don't mute the upper strings with the fatty part of your picking hand palm you will ring you and sound terrible.

of course there are exceptions but these rules are true for most people.

I was taught hand placement by taking your picking hand making a karate chop like hand shape. Line that up vertically with the bridge and place it along where the strings and bridge meet. Move it around to increase/decrease the amount of muting.

Now its going to feel uncomfortable at first because your not used to to it. Trust me with use it will begin to feel right.

As I will always say....Dont get frustrated! I obsessed over picking technique for a few years and finally I broke through and hit my goals. I then realize you just need to do your practice and not worry about it after that. With repeated clean practice you will get there. I promise.

This.
N1K156 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: