Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #21
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkerman

Ideas so far:[list][*]Peavey 6505+ 112
Cons: it's tube, but it has a reputation of being tough as hell, so i don't know if it could even handle these electrical issues. Lacks a usable clean channel, which is a huge downside for me. It's extremely heavy, at around 30kg.
Pros: it's tube. It's cheap, at 469€ brand-new. Has a solid reputation. It'd be excellent for use on my metalcore band.

:

Do you find these cleans to be "unusuable?" :
https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/ambient-stuff-1
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #22
barden1069
UG's ONLY Guitarist

Quote:
For reference, right now there's a EVH 5150 III head for 1,250.00€ on the used market.

Wow, my bad. The Peavey's in this thread are probably good recommendations. Maybe consider a Carvin V3 or V3m if you can find them? I looked into them a while back and they have a lot of modern gain on tap and good cleans.
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange AD30
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H
'72 Fender Vibrosonic Reverb

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
barden1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #23
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
Do you find these cleans to be "unusuable?" :
https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/ambient-stuff-1

It's hard to say with that much reverb and delay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barden1069
Wow, my bad. The Peavey's in this thread are probably good recommendations. Maybe consider a Carvin V3 or V3m if you can find them? I looked into them a while back and they have a lot of modern gain on tap and good cleans.

The only used Carvin i've ever seen for sale was a Legacy combo for 600€ a few months ago.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #24
TJHague

Quote:
Originally Posted by barden1069
The Peavey's in this thread are probably good recommendations. Maybe consider a Carvin V3 or V3m if you can find them? I looked into them a while back and they have a lot of modern gain on tap and good cleans.

This is a good suggestion. I have a V3 and they have great cleans. The drive channels have plenty of gain and you can definitely get a good tone for metalcore out of them. It's not going to sound like a 6505, though. So, if you are wanting a "standard" metalcore tone you should pass, but it definitely will get you a great, usable sound.

That being said, you specified a 1x12 combo in your initial post. The V3 only comes as a head and you can get a 2x12 cab from them (or get a cab elsewhere). The V3m comes in a 1x12 combo. I'm not certain how big a difference there is in the sound in the V3m, but I've heard it's reasonably comparable.
TJHague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #25
KailM

Quote:
It's hard to say with that much reverb and delay...

The only used Carvin i've ever seen for sale was a Legacy combo for 600€ a few months ago.

Who said anything about playing cleans without reverb and delay???

But seriously, I don't know that many people who play clean without adding some effects to it.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #26
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
Hmmm, I bought my Mesa used in "like new condition" for $650 (450E) a while back but you guys do things differently in the EU.
Not just the EU, man. Mesas are expensive everywhere outside of the US and the shenanigans that Mesa pull with their overseas distributors makes it appear that that's exactly how they want it to be. A Mark V costs like $5K new here. Even used, they're never gonna be sub $1k, not a chance in hell. And you can't just buy an American one and swap the power transformer because Mesa want something like $800 for a 230V one!
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 03-11-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #27
Robbgnarly

You want me to get a Mark IV/V and send it to you Cath?

They don't have multi tap tranny's? it seems to be it would cost way less to do that. I guess you'd be better off getting a step-down power supply huh?

The US still hasn't figured out that 220v is a better, more economical than 110v for houses
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #28
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly

They don't have multi tap tranny's? it seems to be it would cost way less to do that. I guess you'd be better off getting a step-down power supply huh?

The US still hasn't figured out that 220v is a better, more economical than 110v for houses

Sure we have, but the rejiggering that would be necessary would cost hundreds of billions of dollars...just imagine a single large city trying to replace all their household electronics, and the costs that would be incurred.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #29
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
Who said anything about playing cleans without reverb and delay???

But seriously, I don't know that many people who play clean without adding some effects to it.

Very often i like using a clean tone with just a little bit of reverb.
Actually, i think reverb is the only effect i absolutely couldn't live without, and i only use it in very noticeable amounts for post-rock. Usually i have it at a very subtle setting.

_______

I thought about what's been said in this thread and about my previous talks with Cathbard regarding these issues with my Ampeg, and yesterday i contacted a company that works in amp building, repairing and restoration.

Today they came to pick up the amp to analyse and give me a repair quote.
I asked them not only to see which repairs are needed, but also to look for possible design flaws and/or components that may be of bad quality or even the wrong components for the job. That i want to know if it's possible to make the amp absolutely reliable, and how much/what it would take.

Because i really love the amp. It has exactly the tone that i was looking for. I hope its problems can be solved permanently, so that i don't have to sell it and can keep using it as my main amp once again.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112

Last edited by Linkerman : 03-12-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #30
Cajundaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Not just the EU, man. Mesas are expensive everywhere outside of the US and the shenanigans that Mesa pull with their overseas distributors makes it appear that that's exactly how they want it to be. A Mark V costs like $5K new here. Even used, they're never gonna be sub $1k, not a chance in hell. And you can't just buy an American one and swap the power transformer because Mesa want something like $800 for a 230V one!

https://www.voltage-converter-trans...cts_id=10061395

I don't know anyone who owns a a Mesa Mk V. They are strictly for the "More money than brains" set, like $10k tribute guitars from Gibson and Fender. Plenty of really solid used Mesas around in the $500-$800 range though. They are reliable workhorses for gigging musicians and have been tested on world stages for 40 years. Call me a fan.

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #31
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
https://www.voltage-converter-trans...cts_id=10061395

I don't know anyone who owns a a Mesa Mk V. They are strictly for the "More money than brains" set, like $10k tribute guitars from Gibson and Fender. Plenty of really solid used Mesas around in the $500-$800 range though. They are reliable workhorses for gigging musicians and have been tested on world stages for 40 years. Call me a fan.

Nonsense. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but why must you be a douche about it?

The Mk V is available sub $2k if one looks, and will do all the classic Mesa sounds, from the Mk I to the Mk IV, plus a lot of other tonal options that none of those will do. If you look at it from the perspective of the amps it can replace, it's a freakin' bargain!

If you had said that about a Dumble Overdrive Special (or a Trainwreck), I might have had to agree with you...

Last edited by Arby911 : 03-12-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Arby911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #32
Cajundaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Nonsense. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but why must you be a douche about it.

Oops sorry if I touched a nerve there. I just always found it kinda pathetic when an intermediate guitarist who is not even gigging believes he needs $10k in gear to find "his tone". EVH, SRV, Page and Jimi could find their tone pretty easily with a Squier Strat, a few pedals, and a Fender Champ.

I am sure a Mesa Mk 5 is a magnificent amp. Top of the mountain. If Mesa wanted to give me one for product placement at my gigs I would gladly use it. I would certainly never buy one with hard earned $$ though. YMMV

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Old 03-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #33
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Oops sorry if I touched a nerve there. I just always found it kinda pathetic when an intermediate guitarist who is not even gigging believes he needs $10k in gear to find "his tone". EVH, SRV, Page and Jimi could find their tone pretty easily with a Squier Strat, a few pedals, and a Fender Champ.

I am sure a Mesa Mk 5 is a magnificent amp. Top of the mountain. If Mesa wanted to give me one for product placement at my gigs I would gladly use it. I would certainly never buy one with hard earned $$ though. YMMV

I think it is kinda pathetic when someone that can not/will not afford something tries bashing those who can

I'll just go play my PRS, that is so over priced and tell you what your missing out on
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #34
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Oops sorry if I touched a nerve there.

You didn't, you just came off poorly.

Quote:
I just always found it kinda pathetic when an intermediate guitarist who is not even gigging believes he needs $10k in gear to find "his tone".

I don't disagree, we do people a disservice if we teach them that everyone needs the most expensive gear available.

Quote:
EVH, SRV, Page and Jimi could find their tone pretty easily with a Squier Strat, a few pedals, and a Fender Champ.

Perhaps they could, but they didn't. Every one of them played on the best gear of the era they could find and when that wasn't good enough they had companies make special gear...

Quote:

Not, it's just an incredibly versatile mid-range amp. No more and no less.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #35
Cajundaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Perhaps they could, but they didn't. Every one of them played on the best gear of the era they could find and when that wasn't good enough they had companies make special gear...

Negative. They all played on beat up second hand schite until after they sold their first 100,000 records... at which time dozens of companies offered to help them out with their specialty tonal needs. Page recorded Zep I and Zep II with an old Tele and a 15w no-name Supro amp while onstage we saw those awful Acoustic guitar stacks with the bullhorns in them. Product placement.

Ever get a good look at EVH's gear before their 1st album? I did in 1975 Gazzarri's. It was all a science experiment with bits and pieces and wires going everywhere.

Jimi didn't buy amps at all: http://www.jimihendrix.no/index.php...i/the-amps.html Product placement thanks to Jim Marshall.

His guitars: http://www.jimihendrix.no/index.php...early-days.html

It's the fingers, not the gear: http://www.jimihendrix.no/index.php...ndrix-wiki.html

Ultimately though we all want what we want. If you have unlimited resources, no reason to skimp on your gear so buy whatever you like. It does help the economy and makes the music world go around. For the rest of us working musicians who pay for our gear with earned gig money it's a different story.

Last edited by Cajundaddy : 03-12-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #36
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Negative. They all played on beat up second hand schite until after they sold their first 100,000 records... at which time dozens of companies offered to help them out with their specialty tonal needs. Page recorded Zep I and Zep II with an old Tele and a 15w no-name Supro amp while onstage we saw those awful Acoustic guitar stacks with the bullhorns in them. Product placement.

Ever get a good look at EVH's gear before their 1st album? I did in 1975 Gazzarri's. It was all a science experiment with bits and pieces and wires going everywhere.

Jimi didn't buy amps at all: http://www.jimihendrix.no/index.php...i/the-amps.html Product placement thanks to Jim Marshall.

Ultimately though we all want what we want. If you have unlimited resources, no reason to skimp on your gear so buy whatever you like. It does help the economy and makes the music world go around. For the rest of us working musicians who pay for our gear with earned gig money it's a different story.

You made my point for me, which was simply that as soon as they could have better gear, they used it.

I note you didn't mention SRV again? That Dumble Steel String Singer on "Texas Flood" a little too pricey to support your claim? Or the 32 amps Diaz says he bought whilst recording "In Step"?

For that matter, why do you use a USA tele and strat? Wouldn't a couple of MIM's or Squier CV's work just as well?

Last edited by Arby911 : 03-12-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Arby911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #37
Cajundaddy

Yep, we are in complete agreement. When top drawer gear is completely free and you even have a paid roadie to roll it in for you... go for it. Jamming in your garage on your dime? Not so much.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #38
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly

I was thinking about that but as you know, I gig a lot. I know that I need to use a step down tranny but other ****ers wouldn't it. It has a standard IEC plug - what are the chances of some smartarse going "this fits in here, shove it in" resulting in a plate voltage of what? 900V? I could see it all ending in tears.
I would really like a Mark V (or IV) but it's not really practical once you pay shipping and shit. I've got the RM100 now anyway so I don't need it.

And as for '"More money than brains" set' comment - suck my dick.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: