Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #21
samuraigoomba

I can't believe a company like Gibson is missing the whole point of Ebony. I don't buy Ebony fretboard guitars for how they look, I buy them for how they feel on my fingers. I don't give a shit if the fretboard is bright orange, as long as it's ebony smooth.

Dammit how can Agile use ebony fretboards on their cheapo guitars, but Gibson won't use ebony on a $1000 guitar.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #22
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stein
That's some good looking flamed maple on that guitar in the first image, but would rather have it on a different model. Hadn't heard of the Nighthawk before you created this thread.

I'm not sure Gibson is using ebony on anything but their higher end guitars and even then I'm not sure about those.

This may be part of the reason that all but one of my Gibsons are pre-1980 at the moment. All of my LPs (four) have ebony fretboards/MOP inlays. Both the L5S and the L6S (70's) and all the archtops have ebony f/b, etc. The only Gibbies I have with rosewood are the '49 ES-175 and the two 335s.

The Nighthawks were issued first in the '90's (discontinued in 1998) and had mahogany bodies with maple tops. Gibson reissued Nighthawks beginning around 2009 (I believe). Some of these had chambered Poplar bodies.
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #23
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba
Dammit how can Agile use ebony fretboards on their cheapo guitars, but Gibson won't use ebony on a $1000 guitar.

Gibson has traditionally used ebony/MOP on their highest end guitars and rosewood on their cheapos and middle-level guitars. When the collectors and baby boomers began to pay big bucks for reproductions of the middle-of-the-line LP Standard, rosewood and plastic inlays began to appear on high-priced guitars as well. This thrills the hell out of Gibson, because it's cheaper. The Juniors and Specials, for example, were considered their student and entry level guitars (dot inlays, no binding, etc.). To see a brand new Junior commanding the prices they do is strange to me.

The Agile AL3XXX series mimicks the Custom Gibsons, so the binding, fretboard woods and inlays are top notch. They honestly don't build as many guitars as Gibson does; maybe they have an easier time sourcing the wood.

Carvin has made ebony its standard fretboard wood since the 60's, with maple the second choice and rosewood not even in the picture until the '90's. They don't use plastic for inlays at all.
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #24
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I wonder where ESP gets their ebony. They seem to pump it out just fine and dandy year after year.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #25
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

They dye it and polish it.

So they dot mind if its slightly browner. My old PH600 was clearly dyed ebony, lovely tight grain, but unnaturally dark and reflective.

Was gorgeous.

I played a few Horizons with the most incredible boards, could see reflections of lights and shapes in them. Felt and played like glass.

I do love me some ebony.

Though the cheaper Richlite stuff is very very close to a similar feel and looks great IMO.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #26
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Ah, yeah that makes sense.

I agree it does look amazing though.

Dye is good as long as it's not cheap. My $100 classical has dye that would come off on your fingers... absolutely horrible.

My fretless Ibanez bass has some kind of fretboard... not sure exactly what it is. I don't think it's wood, but it's not black anymore under where the strings are.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #27
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Yeah, dye can be a pain.

I know the new chapmans have a nice finger staining ebony board.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: