Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #141
WCPhils
Banned
 
WCPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankv
I went to a Catholic primary school. Can barely even remember what any of the holidays stand for. I think Protestant are worse in general, my cousins weren't even allowed to read Harry Potter.

The Born Agains weird me out. Every other word out of their mouths is "jesus"

Makes me uncomfortable
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #142
bradulator
through being cool
 
bradulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I've said it before, but Baptists are the craziest.
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #143
WCPhils
Banned
 
WCPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Baptists apply to the above post too
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #144
blake1221
‭‭
 
blake1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I still find it funny when religious people point fingers at other religions.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #145
WCPhils
Banned
 
WCPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
I'm not religious
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #146
blake1221
‭‭
 
blake1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
never said you were.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #147
WCPhils
Banned
 
WCPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Thought you were talking about me


Nevermind then, lol
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #148
Jackal58
Pit Daddy
 
Jackal58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: If I was up your ass you'd know it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
I went to a conservative Catholic school in the Midwest. We were taught to question everything. The Catholic Church legitimately believes that using pure, unbiased reason will lead you to them. I remember in sophomore year we were to write a paper on whether God did or didn't exist. I wrote one saying he did and provided my reasons. One of my good friends wrote one saying there was no God. We both had pretty solid reasoning (for 15 year olds) and both got 100 on the paper.

For better or worse, they think that being honest and rational will eventually lead you to Catholicism. Whether that's true or not, they have nothing to hide or cover up because they really believe it. And regardless it makes for a good education.

I have a hard time believing this is an anomaly either. Our diocese was the one where the bishop equated Obama to Hitler. So it's not as if the region was some hotbed of progressive theology.

Paddy, that's pretty messed up. You should move to the US. We have freedom.



I was making the point that it wasn't some theocratic rule that was forcing it on him, it was just his parents which is a wholly different thing in my eyes because he made it sound like the Church was to blame. Although apparently, it was some kind of theocratic rule. So ...


I'm not bashing my education. And yes our schooling was similar to your experience but with a ton of homophobia piled on top of it. I probably graduated 30 years before you did though so that attitude was pretty prevalent everywhere. But yes Ireland is a theocracy. Probably still the most Catholic nation in the EU. Hell divorce was constitutionally prohibited until 1996.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Jackal58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #149
Jostry
UG Member
 
Jostry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington
Well that breaks the stereotype.

EDIT - And shit, wtf is the WBC gonna do now?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.

Last edited by Jostry : 05-23-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Jostry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #150
WCPhils
Banned
 
WCPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostry
Well that breaks the stereotype.

EDIT - And shit, wtf is the WBC gonna do now?

The WBC aren't Catholic....
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:52 AM   #151
dann_blood
Swifter 4 life
 
dann_blood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
I still find it funny when religious people point fingers at other religions.

Atheism is a religion too, y'know.
__________________
tumbl-thingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
dann_blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:09 AM   #152
sloppyjoe24
CHOO CHOO!
 
sloppyjoe24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostry
Well that breaks the stereotype.

EDIT - And shit, wtf is the WBC gonna do now?


Westboro is baptist, ese.
__________________

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|


Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.


-Sloppyjoe24
sloppyjoe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #153
destroy_techno
Doesn't like breakadowns
 
destroy_techno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Dutch part of Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by dann_blood
Atheism is a religion too, y'know.

It is not. It's the opposite actually
__________________
Oh my god
A SIG!
Hang me high
Above all
And nail me
To forever
destroy_techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:38 AM   #154
dann_blood
Swifter 4 life
 
dann_blood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroy_techno
It is not. It's the opposite actually

It takes just as much faith to believe in atheism as it does God, if not more.
__________________
tumbl-thingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
dann_blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #155
JackalUK
ERANU
 
JackalUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dann_blood
It takes just as much faith to believe in atheism as it does God, if not more.


Wut?
__________________
ˇAdiós Amigos!
JackalUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:40 AM   #156
willT08
Official Classist
 
willT08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: waiting for milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by dann_blood
It takes just as much faith to believe in atheism as it does God, if not more.

You're smarter than that.
__________________
Burn into my spirit, sear into my soul
Blow me away, I say
Sweep me up like a tornado
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:44 AM   #157
destroy_techno
Doesn't like breakadowns
 
destroy_techno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Dutch part of Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by dann_blood
It takes just as much faith to believe in atheism as it does God, if not more.

No. Atheism is lack of faith. You don't "believe" in atheism.
It's a normal argument from religious people that haven't fully understood the atheist position.
Atheism is the rejection of existence of God or gods, on the basis of lack of evidence. Faith is belief without evidence. Atheism doesn't require faith.
__________________
Oh my god
A SIG!
Hang me high
Above all
And nail me
To forever
destroy_techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:54 AM   #158
dann_blood
Swifter 4 life
 
dann_blood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
You're smarter than that.

Pfft, I bet you believe in evolutionism too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroy_techno
No. Atheism is lack of faith. You don't "believe" in atheism.
It's a normal argument from religious people that haven't fully understood the atheist position.
Atheism is the rejection of existence of God or gods, on the basis of lack of evidence. Faith is belief without evidence. Atheism doesn't require faith.

You have to have faith that there's no creator. Lack of evidence doesn't constitute evidence to the contrary.

Check. Mate.
__________________
tumbl-thingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
dann_blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #159
destroy_techno
Doesn't like breakadowns
 
destroy_techno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Dutch part of Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by dann_blood
Pfft, I bet you believe in evolutionism too!


You have to have faith that there's no creator. Lack of evidence doesn't constitute evidence to the contrary.

Check. Mate.

Not sure if trolling...
__________________
Oh my god
A SIG!
Hang me high
Above all
And nail me
To forever
destroy_techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.