Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
martinman777

how to replace a crappy bassist with a better one?

ok so basicly how would you replace a crappy bassist with a awesome one without alienating him?
martinman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
JAHellraiser

Bring him within inches of death, then rebuild him using technology making him the ultimate cyber bassist.

But for real, find a better bassist, and then let the crappy one know its just not working out.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:11 AM   #3
HotspurJr

Look, the reality is that if you fire someone from the band, there are going to be some hard feelings.

I think the best way to minimize the problem is NOT to fire him right away, but rather have one person, speaking for the band, say something like this:

"We like you. We like playing with you. We want you to be part of this band." (note, only say these things if they're true). "However, there's a problem. Right now your technical and musical skills are holding us back. We need to know if you can make the commitment to work on them, because it's probably going to be a lot of work, but the reality is we can't carry you any more unless you're willing to do the work. What do you say?"

And then you have to mean it. You have to be clear about what he needs to work on, and if you need to hold his hand about some of it - telling him what drills to do, feeding him information, even sometimes taking a little one-on-one time to work on stuff with him, then you have to do that.

And then in six months, if he's not making progress, you can say, "I hate to say this, but it's really not getting to the place it needs to be."

Obviously this is a commitment on your part - but if you want to preserve the relationship, it's really the only way: communicate the problem, help him to fix it, and give him time to put in the work.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
macashmack
Spongethug Moneypants

Get a guitarist to play bass.
YES HAIL I SAID IT GET AT ME BRO
Old 11-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Spaztikko

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
Get a guitarist to play bass.
YES HAIL I SAID IT GET AT ME BRO

Simple, fire the old one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
lmao putting a 9v on yr ladybits thats just another ep of "tossing larry's salad" waitin to happen

Banging ur mum
I killed the chat thread again.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 AM   #6
timbit2006
UG Monkey

Just write a really ****ing hard to play song that's at the max of your abilites. Obviously he won't be able to keep up and will either improve, quit or fake it. If he's faking it, it's time for him to go.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
koslack

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit2006
Just write a really ****ing hard to play song that's at the max of your abilites. Obviously he won't be able to keep up and will either improve, quit or fake it. If he's faking it, it's time for him to go.

Or you can choose not to be passive aggressive and just talk to the guy, explain what the problem is, and either give him time to improve or firing him outright and hoping he doesn't hold a grudge.
koslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by koslack
Or you can choose not to be passive aggressive and just talk to the guy, explain what the problem is, and either give him time to improve or firing him outright and hoping he doesn't hold a grudge.
This, quite honestly. Don't beat around the bush.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
diabolical

Tell the soundguy to mix him low/make sure he's got a bad amp that projects less.

Rate This Thread: