Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
BDeister86

Help me with my tube amp!

Okay so my amp shut off mid show, got home, replaced the fuse, turned it on, and sparks started flying so I immediately shut it off. So then I replaced the tube that was sparking, and now my amp powers on, but the standby switch doesn't light up, and when I flip the standby switch, it doesn't play or make any noise at all. My amp has indicator lights on the back that tells me when a tube is bad and none of them are lit. Anyone know what my problem is?
BDeister86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Dick Foster

Probably took out a supply if not another fuse somewhere.
Don't know the amp or have a schematic i.e. not enough info for anyone to go on. All you've said is that it's a tube amp. Not even which tube it was that arced.
Are the tube filiaments lighting up? Sometimes pilot lights and tube filaments use a common supply voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDeister86
Okay so my amp shut off mid show, got home, replaced the fuse, turned it on, and sparks started flying so I immediately shut it off. So then I replaced the tube that was sparking, and now my amp powers on, but the standby switch doesn't light up, and when I flip the standby switch, it doesn't play or make any noise at all. My amp has indicator lights on the back that tells me when a tube is bad and none of them are lit. Anyone know what my problem is?
Dick Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
BDeister86

It's a bugera 6262 infinium. Had it about 2 months. Another classic crappy bugera case. The tubes are lighting up. And it was a stock 6L6GC tube that went bad. I shouldn't say blew because it didn't break the glass, but it lit up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Foster
Probably took out a supply if not another fuse somewhere.
Don't know the amp or have a schematic i.e. not enough info for anyone to go on. All you've said is that it's a tube amp. Not even which tube it was that arced.
Are the tube filiaments lighting up? Sometimes pilot lights and tube filaments use a common supply voltage.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

There are fuses on the inside if the amp as well...
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #5
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ +1

There are probably at least 3 fuses in there if not more.

I thought Bugera fixed all of their issues? Moreover, isn't the 'Infinium' technology supposed to alleviate these kinds of things?

TS - don't mess with it. Get it replaced under warranty. If it is still new get your money back.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Man. That blows dude. Was it at least cool sparks? Or like, shitty little sparks?

But yea, hit the warranty up on that or get your money back. Me personally, I would get my money back and run
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:32 AM   #7
Volcz
The Vox Dude

Uh-oh..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

You've had it two months, get it replaced. don't do anything else to else you may void it.

SPARKS? BUGERA? Hmm...
Old 11-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #9
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
I thought Bugera fixed all of their issues? Moreover, isn't the 'Infinium' technology supposed to alleviate these kinds of things?

Come on now 311, you know better than that!

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #10
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

If it sparked that badly it could have hurt the bias circuit or power tube resistors. If you can get it exchanged for another one I would try to do that instead. You don't want a damaged resistor hiding for a while and then popping its ugly head during a show.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

This is totally normal. Bugera has fixed their reliability issues. I mean what brand of amps don't shoot sparks out the back from time to time?
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
Dick Foster

If it's only two months old don't mess with it, just take it back to were you got it from and leave the problem with them. That's what a product warranty is for.

Quote:
It's a bugera 6262 infinium. Had it about 2 months. Another classic crappy bugera case. The tubes are lighting up. And it was a stock 6L6GC tube that went bad. I shouldn't say blew because it didn't break the glass, but it lit up.
Dick Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #13
BDeister86

Yea about that... I kinda messed up and bought it off amazon, cause it was $100 cheaper. But their warranty only works if you buy it from a licensed Bugera dealer. I wish I could return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Foster
If it's only two months old don't mess with it, just take it back to were you got it from and leave the problem with them. That's what a product warranty is for.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:35 AM   #14
chatterbox272

Quote:
Yea about that... I kinda messed up and bought it off amazon, cause it was $100 cheaper. But their warranty only works if you buy it from a licensed Bugera dealer. I wish I could return it.

Unless consumer rights are different where you are (I'm in australia so I don't know) then if it was brought new and it hasn't run for an acceptable amount of time (2 months is not acceptable) then you are entitled to warranty. Whether you bought it from Amazon or a music store should have no impact on that.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #15
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH

TS - don't mess with it. Get it replaced under warranty. If it is still new get your money back.
Good advice.

Legally, you're entitled to a warranty regardless of where you bought it*. Contact Bugera.

*In most civilised countries, UK, USA, Australia, Canada etc. If you live in Durkaddurkastan or whatever, you might be out of luck.

Last edited by kyle62 : 11-17-2012 at 02:33 PM.
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Don't forget to put the old tubes back in before you return it. Keep the new ones for yourself.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: