Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #101
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^

yeah if matchetts has one in stock you could try it. dawsons in bangor (last time i was there, which was a while ago) had a fair few of the cheaper gibsons in stock so might be worth a look, too. I'm not as anti-buying-online as a lot of people, but gibson does have a bit of a rep for all-over-the-place QC. I'm not sure i'd buy a gibson online, in other words.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #102
digman50
Pardew can **** off

You can't do your own set-ups?

It's not hard to learn. It's doing fretwork that's an issue, even changing the nut shouldn't be beyond your average guitarist...
digman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #103
JJlespaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcagger
i know pete, he did a great job stoning and polishing the frets on my ibanez a while back. He's a good guy and if you still want it done, get him to do it.

Also, I know for a fact machett's have one of those LP Studio 50s guitars in store; or they did when I was in a couple of weeks ago

Once I get the cash for my guitar I'm for sure gonna give him a call to completely set it up.

Also they do have a 50 tribute in stock, but it has p90s, and I wanted the humbucker model
JJlespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #104
JJlespaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegadethFan18
They are hand assembled (or built as this guy put it) but the CNC machines get the wood to the stage where a person can "build" it into a guitar. It makes no sense to have a machine assemble them. Measuring a neck pocket and cutting it in the right place to the right dimensions, depth and is some cases angle is difficult, which is why a machine does it. Putting a machine head into a hole that a computerized machine drilled is not difficult, which is why people do it.

I don't get why people think machines are bad when it comes to making guitars, they are very accurate, consistent and save a lot of time. Even "handmade" stuff is at some degree made with the aid form machines, for example using a machine made neck pocket template.

Exactly man. My Epi was made in china but it is FAR better quality than my Gibson out of the box (in terms of already set up, nice finish, Smooth frets which dont cut my hand etc.) Finish is outstanding and it sounds very good
Old 12-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #105
JJlespaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by digman50
You can't do your own set-ups?

It's not hard to learn. It's doing fretwork that's an issue, even changing the nut shouldn't be beyond your average guitarist...

I understand the concept of setting it up yourself and I can do the practical side of it, but it never translates into results. Like when I first tried to set intonation, moving the saddles back and forth had NO effect on the intonation whatsoever. It just seems to never work for me
Old 12-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #106
JJlespaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^

yeah if matchetts has one in stock you could try it. dawsons in bangor (last time i was there, which was a while ago) had a fair few of the cheaper gibsons in stock so might be worth a look, too. I'm not as anti-buying-online as a lot of people, but gibson does have a bit of a rep for all-over-the-place QC. I'm not sure i'd buy a gibson online, in other words.

Sadly the one they have in stock isn't the humbucker model, it has p90s if they had the one I'm after I would definitely at least go and try It out

And ever since this happened to me I've been reading about issues with brand new gibsons. Very disheartening, I can agree with you on them having a rep regarding QC. Not to say they don't make amazing guitars... Just sometimes
Old 12-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #107
griffin888

I don't understand this whole "traditional" or "handmade" argument. To not take advantage of modern technology and equipment because you like to "hand make" an inconsistent product just because it was how it used to be done doesn't make much sense. They built their guitars back then the way they did because they didn't have access to what is available today, that's it. Too many get all hyped up over this "handmade" thing.
cause you feel an urge to get some wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
it could turn the wangcaster into a bass.
griffin888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #108
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck

You need to check out the threads on Fastfude.org - a NI music forum. You will find luthiers and techs on there. Good friendly community.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC

My Band, RedEye:

http://redeyeband.weebly.com/
RubberSoul54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #109
JJlespaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin888
I don't understand this whole "traditional" or "handmade" argument. To not take advantage of modern technology and equipment because you like to "hand make" an inconsistent product just because it was how it used to be done doesn't make much sense. They built their guitars back then the way they did because they didn't have access to what is available today, that's it. Too many get all hyped up over this "handmade" thing.

I guess some people are led to believe that a completely handmade guitar will sound better, and I can't se the logic in that
Old 12-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #110
JJlespaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSoul54321
You need to check out the threads on Fastfude.org - a NI music forum. You will find luthiers and techs on there. Good friendly community.

Thanks man I'll check that out
Old 12-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #111
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJlespaul
Sadly the one they have in stock isn't the humbucker model, it has p90s if they had the one I'm after I would definitely at least go and try It out

And ever since this happened to me I've been reading about issues with brand new gibsons. Very disheartening, I can agree with you on them having a rep regarding QC. Not to say they don't make amazing guitars... Just sometimes

ah right. i suppose it'd let you see if yours is a particularly bad one or not. But yeah if you want hums you wouldn't be buying it.

and yeah, that's the problem, i think. if you get a good one it's killer... but (and this is IMO) at the prices they charge, there shouldn't be anywhere near the number of QC problems there seem to be.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #112
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJlespaul
I understand the concept of setting it up yourself and I can do the practical side of it, but it never translates into results. Like when I first tried to set intonation, moving the saddles back and forth had NO effect on the intonation whatsoever. It just seems to never work for me

That is scientifically impossible, lol

Anyways if you have a decent tuner it's very easy, I can't understand how people can pay for a setup (not that you are) instead of learning how, playing around a bit. Just don't be stupid and you won't hurt anything.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #113
JJlespaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe
That is scientifically impossible, lol

Anyways if you have a decent tuner it's very easy, I can't understand how people can pay for a setup (not that you are) instead of learning how, playing around a bit. Just don't be stupid and you won't hurt anything.

I know it seems extremely simple and it's very easy to do in theory. But I swear to god, when I moved those saddles there was NO intonation change. None at all. I ended up replacing the bridge (the metal retainer wire was rattling and pissing me off anyway) and that solved it and it was very easy to set the intonation.

When I get my new guitar im still gonna pay for a full set up. Just so i can completely rule out the fret buzz being temp and humidity fault
Old 12-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #114
JJlespaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
ah right. i suppose it'd let you see if yours is a particularly bad one or not. But yeah if you want hums you wouldn't be buying it.

and yeah, that's the problem, i think. if you get a good one it's killer... but (and this is IMO) at the prices they charge, there shouldn't be anywhere near the number of QC problems there seem to be.

It's quite annoying seeing an amazing guitar with all the specs you want then seeing it has mini h buckers or p90s -_-

And I couldn't agree with you more on that second point, but there's many people who disagree and bash you on it
Old 12-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #115
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah (though of course the reverse is also true, for people who already have humbuckers having the option of p90s or mini-hums is a bonus).

And agreed regarding gibson. If you're saying, "gibson sucks, even the epiphones are better", then i agree, you're just a hater. But if you're pointing out that there shouldn't really be lemons (or at least, anywhere near the number of lemons) at the prices gibson charges, I don't see why that makes you a hater. Sure, you can try 50 and buy the best one. But (a) you shouldn't have to and (b) that also only really works if you're somewhere with a good enough guitar shop which actually has 50.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #116
JJlespaul
Banned

Had 7 calls about my guitar and amp already! Studio here I come

Rate This Thread: