User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-31-2014, 10:08 AM   #21
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar/bass95
I've heard that Schecters have a really fat neck, so I'm a bit skeptical, but if I can find one I'll try it.

They're not. They're average. They just seem thick from the perspective of kids that have played nothing but Wizard III necks their whole life.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #22
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

I've sanded down every neck i've ever owned lol. I hate glossy sticky necks too, at least as much as you hate them, and literally 3 minutes with sandpaper fixes the problem altogether. Dont be so close-minded about it, if you ask me it's silly to give up the guitar you really want because you cant be arsed to put a little love into it. we're talking about a few minutes of work here, it's not like it's going to take you hours of work or tons of money.
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #23
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
They're not. They're average. They just seem thick from the perspective of kids that have played nothing but Wizard III necks their whole life.

Okay, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acϵ♠
I've sanded down every neck i've ever owned lol. I hate glossy sticky necks too, at least as much as you hate them, and literally 3 minutes with sandpaper fixes the problem altogether. Dont be so close-minded about it, if you ask me it's silly to give up the guitar you really want because you cant be arsed to put a little love into it. we're talking about a few minutes of work here, it's not like it's going to take you hours of work or tons of money.

It's not about me having to work, it's about my inherent ability of destroying any wood-based material by botched attempts of carpentry. But since there seems to be a zero margin for error, I might try it. Just don't make it sound like I'm too lazy to do it since that isn't really the case, I'm genuinely afraid that I'd screw the whole thing up.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
guitar/bass95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:39 AM   #24
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

Quote:
It's not about me having to work, it's about my inherent ability of destroying any wood-based material by botched attempts of carpentry. But since there seems to be a zero margin for error, I might try it. Just don't make it sound like I'm too lazy to do it since that isn't really the case, I'm genuinely afraid that I'd screw the whole thing up.

Sanding a neck to a satin finish is not woodwork. All you're doing is putting fine, shallow scratches into the clearcoat of the finish. The only way you could possibly make a mistake, is if you tape the area of the neck to be sanded, but then sand the whole body down instead.

If you have half a braincell, you can do this. There is nothing to be scared of. Nada. Zero.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 07-31-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #25
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Sanding a neck to a satin finish is not woodwork. All you're doing is putting fine, shallow scratches into the clearcoat of the finish. The only way you could possibly make a mistake, is if you tape the area of the neck to be sanded, but then sand the whole body down instead.

If you have half a braincell, you can do this. There is nothing to be scared of. Nada. Zero.

Okay okay I believe you. Some of you said that it's a useful thing to do with every guitar, would it make a difference if I sanded my Ibanez for practice? I mean, even if it already has a satin neck.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
Old 07-31-2014, 11:26 AM   #26
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

It wouldn't do any harm.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:32 AM   #27
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Okay, might give it a go. Thanks for all the help everyone, I'll try to find some Reverends, Schecters and Hagströms to try out too.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
Old 07-31-2014, 12:26 PM   #28
dspellman

Quote:

The reason newbs do this is that they don't want to put up with the stickiness for the first few months. Playing it in will eventually eliminate the stickiness all by itself (unless you buy something like a Gibson with that crap "traditional" nitrocellulose lacquer finish), and for the same reasons that you lightly sand the finish (the green Scotchbrite pads seem to be a favorite over sandpaper and 0000 steel wool these days). As you play, over time you introduce microscratches, and that reduces the surface tension (think gecko feet) that keeps you from sliding.

An additional factor here is technique and finger strength. The lighter your fretting hand grips, the less likely you are to stick. I'm usually only touching the back of the neck with a small portion of the pad of my thumb. If you're a thumb wrapper, if you're an occasional player, or if you have small, weak or arthritic hands, you're more likely to be worried about the neck being sticky.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: