Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Toasterpossum

Guitar vs Bass?

Hey everyone, I'm kind of a newbie to this site. I'm 13 and have played ukulele for about a year (Just Blink-182, Green Day, Sum 41 stuff) and I want to try either a bass or guitar. Since the ukulele has four strings, would a bass be better for me? Or should I get a guitar, because I like to play leads for punk songs?

I'm getting a Fender for either bass or guitar.

Thanks, guys!

(I posted this in the guitar forum, too, just so I could hear both sides)
Toasterpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Spaz91
Turd polisher

[Oh boy here we go.]

Go into a guitar shop and tell them you want to learn to play guitar or bass but haven't decided yet, they'll let you play a selection and choose for yourself.

I'd edit the thread title by the way, people get riled up by "vs" threads.
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
atira

What music do you listen to, which instrument do you like listening to?
No one can tell you which instrument to play.

About 4 strings vs 6: that doesn't really matter that much imho. If you'd choose bass and get serious later, you would buy a 5-6string bass anyway.
atira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
OtamotPuhctek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasterpossum
Hey everyone, I'm kind of a newbie to this site. I'm 13 and have played ukulele for about a year (Just Blink-182, Green Day, Sum 41 stuff) and I want to try either a bass or guitar. Since the ukulele has four strings, would a bass be better for me? Or should I get a guitar, because I like to play leads for punk songs?

I'm getting a Fender for either bass or guitar.

Thanks, guys!

(I posted this in the guitar forum, too, just so I could hear both sides)

There are no sides. There's only which voice speaks to you.
OtamotPuhctek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
Spanner93

Quote:
Originally Posted by atira
About 4 strings vs 6: that doesn't really matter that much imho. If you'd choose bass and get serious later, you would buy a 5-6string bass anyway.

Not necessarily true, I've been playing for 5 years now and I have no interest whatsoever in 5-6 string basses (Barring the new 5-string Ibby Artcore). It depends on the genre you intend to play and personal preference.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Phil Starr

I don't think you need to worry too much at this stage.

Playing guitar or bass will both be easier if you have played a uke but that is about being able to coordinate hand movements and any music theory you have picked up. It'll give you a bit of a head start but each instrument is different and you'll have to learn the tricks of each.

Bass and guitar serve different roles and attract different personalities (a bit). You can't play bass on its own really, you play bass to be part of a band. Generally bass isn't glamorous and unless you sing too you won't be the one everyone looks at. But, everyone in the band needs you and will get to depend on you. Most bass players kind of hold the band together musically. The other thing is because of the lack of the front spot there are fewer bass players and you'll find you are in more demand than most guitarists.

If you play guitar then you can play solo especially if you sing, so you don't always need to be in a band. If you are good then you can be the one everyone pays attention to, or you can join the bassist as the motor of the band by playing rhythm if that suits you better.

Most bassists can play a bit of guitar and you can pick up bass later if you start with guitar but your mates need a bassist. You won't know which you are until you've tried both.

Personally I'd say buy a guitar unless, you just love the sound of bass or you have a bunch of mates who need a bass player and you want to give it a go. Either way you won't regret it, just get out there and start playing music.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
anarkee
oh the horror!

Uke is tuned different than a bass as well.

Either instrument you'll be at square one as far as learning so the amount of strings or fretting skill really won't matter. I know quite a few guitarists that dabble in bass and visa versa (I started out on rhythm guitar and then took up bass later on). If you sing and play uke, guitar might be a better choice for what you are looking for, but either way, try them out and see what resonates with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Starr
You can't play bass on its own really, you play bass to be part of a band.

Victor Wooten would like a word with you sir
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Victor Wooten would like a word with you sir

I agree with this, but you really have to leave tjis very special cases behind when someone is asking the kind of advice this thread looks for. Yes, In some VERY specific cases you CAN play bass on your own, BUT the bassist mindset is not aimed there...

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
dseo1w
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudaka
I agree with this, but you really have to leave tjis very special cases behind when someone is asking the kind of advice this thread looks for. Yes, In some VERY specific cases you CAN play bass on your own, BUT the bassist mindset is not aimed there...

I like to Play Guitar My elder brother also play the Guitar

Fire Hoses
dseo1w is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: