Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Capt_Clarkson
Dance With The Penguin

Removing sanding marks

Hey guys I've decided to relic a Squier Strat

I have sanded some of the paint away on the body where it would wear away but now I have little white scratch marks surrounding areas where Ive worn the paint away.

If I wet the area the marks disappear and the guitar looks how I want it to but as soon as it drys the marks come back.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What do I need to do?

Cheers
Capt_Clarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
sstony

Well thats one way to make your guitar look like shit.
sstony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Capt_Clarkson
Dance With The Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstony
Well thats one way to make your guitar look like shit.

thanks for the input douche
Old 06-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
rhythmkillingMo
UG Newbie

You could try buffing the scrathes out, its been done before. Also if you plan on doing more like that, you could try buffing the finnish off the guitar which sometimes mimics natural wear and tear. Otherwise you could use chemical compound like Nitro-morse which lifts laquer and paint. it can be brushed on in specific areas, but its a bit drastic in some cases, i hope this "input" helps
Old 06-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
Capt_Clarkson
Dance With The Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmkillingMo
You could try buffing the scrathes out, its been done before. Also if you plan on doing more like that, you could try buffing the finnish off the guitar which sometimes mimics natural wear and tear. Otherwise you could use chemical compound like Nitro-morse which lifts laquer and paint. it can be brushed on in specific areas, but its a bit drastic in some cases, i hope this "input" helps

thanks for the help I shall give it a try

Its my first attempt at doing something like this so I'm still figuring stuff out
Old 06-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
sstony

It looks like it had a nice finish, just wondering why you would try to make it something that itīs not. Sand paper doesīnt make a relic, Every scratch, dent or ding has itīs own story youīre sweat, smoke filled bar gigs, drunken roadies and playing rock n roll will give your guitar character.
sstony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Invader Jim

you'll have to sand with progressively higher grits until it is smooth, then do a spot-refinish.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader Jim
you'll have to sand with progressively higher grits until it is smooth, then do a spot-refinish.

This
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
Controlpanel
qɐuuǝp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
This

I recommend against that,,,those are scratches into the finnish now...if you want that area to match the entire guitar..you'll have to sand the entire guitar that way...progressivly smaller grits...

The way I solved it was just sand the damn thing all the way down and start fresh with new paint+finish
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Controlpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Invader Jim

That would pretty much defeat the purpose of what TS did though..
Old 06-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #11
Doonan
Unregistered User

what jim said, just sand progressively higher, and then buff it.

the scratches are to do with light reflection (refraction? whatever)
basically, the less grooves in the finish, the less marks you see or something. so go up in sandpaper grades to like 2000 or something, and then use a buffer at the end. but as someone else said, its still going to look off, because it'll look different to the rest of your guitar. but you're relicing it, so probs doesnt matter.
Doonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:33 AM   #12
LeviMan_2001

Let me say that if that's a relic, that's a really awkward spot for wear. Unless the person had a tumor that popped out right in the middle of the contour and played like that for 50 years. Also I suggest you wetsand that area up to higher grits of sand paper, then smooth the wood out there (as it'll probably get funky with water) and stain it a grey color or something that sweat soaked wood would look like. Also it may be a good idea to sand the whole guitar with like 1000 or 2000 grit and then buff it back. It'd dull the paint a bit (if you're not great at buffing) and make it look older. Don't forget your random dings and NEVER FORGET TO AGE THE HARDWARE! As well as the pickgaurd.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
prinzollo

I know it's kinda resuming an old thread, but I'm in a similar situation as Capt_Clarkson and since I'm learning from this experience I'd like to get more info about.
In attached you can find the situation of my squier after sanding (from 120 to 800 in the images) after that I sanded till 2000 grit sandpaper but I still have a duller and discoroed area around the arm wear. As Capt_Clarskson said, when I wet the area the color gets the same, but when it dries I get a blotch in light as shown in the photo.

As someone suggested I wanted to sandpaper all the body till 2000 grit sandpaper, and then buff it.
What I don't know is:

- can you specify what kind/kinds of compund should I use?
- what's the order of operations to take with those compounds?

I'm a beginner in this kind of works, so more detailed you are and the more I get.
Thanks everyone who helps
Attached Images

Last edited by prinzollo : 05-05-2013 at 02:44 PM.
prinzollo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: