Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Joining a bolt on neck as a set neck?

Hi there, I'm planning a guitar, and I have a bolt on neck, but I want it to be set. Does anyone know of how I can do that?
Thanks

Schecter Damien FR
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Set necks usually have a tenon that's larger than a bolt-on heel. So generally, you can't just glue a bolt-on neck in place. But you could add some glue and then bolt it on, but I personally would never even consider adding glue for no real reason.

Any particular reason why you don't want a bolt-on? Some people mistakenly believe that set-necks are superior, but that simply isn't the case.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Set necks usually have a tenon that's larger than a bolt-on heel. So generally, you can't just glue a bolt-on neck in place. But you could add some glue and then bolt it on, but I personally would never even consider adding glue for no real reason.

Any particular reason why you don't want a bolt-on? Some people mistakenly believe that set-necks are superior, but that simply isn't the case.

Thanks Pig
It's because I've heard they have better sustain.
Is that true?

Schecter Damien FR
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website

Last edited by Boonnoo666 : 12-15-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonnoo666
Thanks Pig
Is that true?

No it is not true.

My PRS is a bolt on and the neck joint is better than most set-neck guitars.

From my pesonal understanding a neck-tru is going to yeald the best sustain. And in all honesty sustain comes down more to how good of a vibrato tecnique you have, not the neck joint (well besides the fit and finish of the neck/neck pocket, but thats another disscussion altogether)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonnoo666
Thanks Pig
Is that true?

Nope. Honestly, it's not like you can pick up guitars with different neck joints and feel the difference in sustain. It comes more from the wood and action. But there are some that believe glue negatively affects the sustain, and screws or bolts provide a better transfer of energy. I don't know if that's true, but I see no good reason to glue the neck in, so I avoid that all together.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Nope. Honestly, it's not like you can pick up guitars with different neck joints and feel the difference in sustain. It comes more from the wood and action. But there are some that believe glue negatively affects the sustain, and screws or bolts provide a better transfer of energy. I don't know if that's true, but I see no good reason to glue the neck in, so I avoid that all together.

Ah, thanks. Also, if you have a glued neck and it breaks it'll be a bitch to replace.
/thread

Schecter Damien FR
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
Old 12-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
Roc8995

We'll put it this way. It might make a bit of a difference in tone, but certainly not enough to justify gluing in a neck that was meant to be bolted on.

I bet a lot of the difference is just down to how the wood is joined. A set neck (often) uses more surface area contact, which might affect how the vibrations interact between neck and body. Of course that means that gluing a bolt on neck isn't going to give you that sound change.

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #8
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

Consider this, but probably doesn't make one iota of difference...
When glue is wet, it soaks into the wood.
When glue dries, it is generally much harder than wood.
Would that make a difference? (Rhetorical question)
I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
It's the pit. Go away if you have standards.

Last edited by CodeMonk : 12-18-2012 at 04:57 AM.
CodeMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:45 AM   #9
Ethanb08
No one in particular

depends on the glue probably... some glues, like PVA and Alphatic resins ( your average/common white and yellow glue) are probably not gonna help with sustain. I base this suspicion on the idea that they are thermoplastic, and PVA specifically is Polyvinyl acetate... which is a rubber like synthetic... and rubber is not a good material for sustain... it prevents the transfer of vibrations... also note that some dense vinyl materials are useful in sound proofing... so I would say you average wood glues would only hinder sustain... it may not be hugely noticeable but at least with screws its all a very tight transfer of vibration between dense and vibration friendly materials.

as for other glues... its hard to say... I'm sure you could base it on a thermoplastic vs thermosetting idea whether a glue is vibration friendly... an exception being polyurethane glues (gorilla glue) because they foam up and fill gaps.. and as we all know foam is not a very good medium for transferring vibrations...

Your best bet would be epoxy... but in my professional cabinetmaking opinion I would stick with the screws, its just not worth it to glue given that you probably wont notice any gains, if there are any, in sustain...
MXR phase 90, Carbon Copy
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)
ETB Infinity
ETB Wolfgang
Ethanb08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:00 AM   #10
LeviMan_2001

Unless you want to carve the heel down I'd say it's not worth it. Anyone who tells you a set neck has a bigger tenon is not telling the truth. If you've seen an explorer tenon you'd understand hahaha. That said, naw, you're not going to notice a difference in sustain with the joint. If you'd want more sustain, I'd say get a heavier bridge, that should help.

Rate This Thread: