Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
dale1985

Overdrive pedals with tube amps technical question

Hi Guys,

A question that's been bugging me for a while. If anyone could enlighten me I would be appreciative.

I have a 2 channel tube amp and use 2 overdrives, one for each channel. So I have clean, clean with a bit of dirt, distortion channel, and lead.

Now I set up my distortion channel overdrive with level max, gain 0. This pushes the preamp tubes giving me a bit more volume but lots more gain, all good, understood.

Here's the bit I don't understand. The overdrive I use on my clean channel is set to level 3, gain 0. This is not any louder than off but has a bit of grit to it which I like. Does this mean I'm using 'fake' distortion from the overdrive that's just been added with solid state circuitery? If so does this mean that when people have a single channel amp, set it clean and use pedals for dirt, they are using artificial distortion? What's the point of that because then your never driving the tubes to get that smooth gain...? Are you? Help!

Thanks,

Dale
dale1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Offworld92
One among the fence.

To put it very simply, an overdrive into a Fender Frontman does not sound the same as an overdrive into a Fender Twin Reverb. Think about it.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Very few overdrives, if any, produce no distortion themselves when the drive/gain knob is turned down. That's why I use a dead clean boost from my GP-8 with the overdrive effect turned off. No added distortion there, just pure clean boost.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Alesis Quadraverb

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Roc8995

There's no such thing as artificial distortion, and there's nothing wrong with getting it from a pedal rather than your amp.

It's easy to get concerned about adding solid state distortion if you're used to hearing about all these cheap, crappy SS amps, but pedals are a good example of how SS components can be used effectively. Tube distortion isn't the immortal be-all end-all sound.

Side note: boosting a clean amp with a SS pedal doesn't necessarily mean that you're getting your distortion from the pedal. A big signal into the preamp will overdrive it, so even if the pedal and amp are clean individually, when you hit the front end with a bigger signal it will start to distort. So you might have tube distortion after all.

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Yeah, but Colin, he says there's no increase in volume => it's not being boosted.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Alesis Quadraverb

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

You Heretic Bastard. That Ss Distortion You Created Is Raping Our Churches And Burning Our Women!!!!!!!

Two cheap amps in tampa area
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Blompcube
Registered User Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
To put it very simply, an overdrive into a Fender Frontman does not sound the same as an overdrive into a Fender Twin Reverb. Think about it.

+1

The amp is always adding it's own tonal qualities to the sound, regardless of what pedals you're using.
Musicman HD75
Road Kill Cabs "Stag" 2x12 with Eminence screamin eagles.
Blompcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Roc8995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Yeah, but Colin, he says there's no increase in volume => it's not being boosted.

Good catch, didn't read that closely enough. Plus like you said most pedals introduce some distortion even at zero.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

what cathbard said.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale1985
Hi Guys,

A question that's been bugging me for a while. If anyone could enlighten me I would be appreciative.

I have a 2 channel tube amp and use 2 overdrives, one for each channel. So I have clean, clean with a bit of dirt, distortion channel, and lead.

Now I set up my distortion channel overdrive with level max, gain 0. This pushes the preamp tubes giving me a bit more volume but lots more gain, all good, understood.

Here's the bit I don't understand. The overdrive I use on my clean channel is set to level 3, gain 0. This is not any louder than off but has a bit of grit to it which I like. Does this mean I'm using 'fake' distortion from the overdrive that's just been added with solid state circuitery? If so does this mean that when people have a single channel amp, set it clean and use pedals for dirt, they are using artificial distortion? What's the point of that because then your never driving the tubes to get that smooth gain...? Are you? Help!

Thanks,

Dale

If you like it, why is that a problem?

Gear:

Charvel So Cal (MIJ)
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
Roc8995

He heard on the internet that it's inferior to something else that has magic mojo and costs 10 times as much. It's called TGP syndrome.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
GeetarHeero
Philosophizer of Time

Quote:
He heard on the internet that it's inferior to something else that has magic mojo and costs 10 times as much. It's called TGP syndrome.

The history of the present illness certainly supports this diagnosis.

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
GeetarHeero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas38
You Heretic Bastard. That Ss Distortion You Created Is Raping Our Churches And Burning Our Women!!!!!!!

cAPTAIN cAPITAL. sO wE mEET aGAIN aT lAST.

...iT'S bEEN a lONG tIME....

OT: There's nothing wrong with boosting your amp with an OD.

If you like it, go for it.
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:

er....

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
ikey_

well you can boost the preamp and saturate it, in which its not going to add volume.

ie - if i boost the clean channel on my amp i get a LARGE volume boost, whereas the same boost on the dirty channel with the gain up a lot = not that much volume increase, but a definite gain increase.

good example of headroom.

to answer you question, yes and no. it all depends on the player, gear, and how they run the OD.

if they have super high headroom, low output pups, and are maxing the OD, sure, a lot is coming from the solid state pedal. the amp will still impart some of its tone.

if your are running a low wattage / headroom amp, a guitar with buckers, and using the pedal as a boost, you are driving the amp more and hearing more of the natural overdrive, and the pedal is imparting some of the tone.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: