User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #3801
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
It's a simple fact that distortion + chords with more than three notes don't sound ALL that great, that's ALWAYS been true and always will be.

While this is true to a certain extent, you can work with it and get it to sound "better" rather than "worse".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmastamitch
Definitely start with a low pass filter, trying out different "fall-off" points and slopes, but if the fizziness persists I'd try different cabs or a different setup with your impulses. I never blend different cabs together because I usually can get where I want with EQing.

Well, here's my "go-to" EQ settings for rhythm guitar. This tends to be good for "meaty" riffs but isn't fairing well with riffs that use extended chord voicings.

So, basic low pass and high pass and some cuts to reduce that "Djent-y" tone (lol). I'm halfway tempted to let the highs roll off later. Thoughts?

Quote:
My "magic" metal impulse is Amplitube's Fender Super-Sonic, which sorta weird because it's a V30-loaded open -back 1x12 and that wouldn't be something I'd expect to be awesome for metal, but alas it is.

Seems an odd choice, but if it works...it works.

Quote:
I hate to plug my own stuff, but I recently did a Haunted Shores cover full of intricate chord voicings you can check out here.

I wouldn't mind taking an impulse of that cab and posting it if anyone's interested

I'd be interested in that myself. Sounds great. You got grit and cleaner sounding chords, which is kind of what I'm going for here, lol. I mean, I might crank the distortion up a tiny bit, but yeah.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 04-18-2014 at 10:41 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #3802
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Well, here's my "go-to" EQ settings for rhythm guitar:

So, basic low pass and high pass and some cuts to reduce that "Djent-y" tone (lol). I'm halfway tempted to let the highs roll off later. Thoughts?

I do exactly that, but I additionally take a narrow notch out from the ~250Hz range where things tend to get boxy & muffled. That probably won't help with any fizz problems, but it doesn't hurt to try it anyway :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
I'd be interested in that myself. Sounds great. You got grit and cleaner sounding chords, which is kind of what I'm going for here, lol. I mean, I might crank the distortion up a tiny bit, but yeah.

Thanks! Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jkgnv1kp8...c%20Impulse.wav
bassmastamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:28 PM   #3803
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
I do exactly that, but I additionally take a narrow notch out from the ~250Hz range where things tend to get boxy & muffled. That probably won't help with any fizz problems, but it doesn't hurt to try it anyway :P

Good idea. Thanks!

I messed around a bit with my impulses, and it seems to work better if I used higher presence impulses. I was just using the basic one. But I'm getting a clearer sound. Now, to tighten the tone up a bit more!

Awesome! Thanks.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #3804
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

With most tube amps it doesn't seem much of a problem for me, but with VST's it's harder.

I often lessen the gain to the balance point of clear/too-clean.

It's also seems partially psychological. I played some riffs with chords on my guitar, but found it to sound too scruffy. I then handed my guitar over to the other guitarist in my band to listen to it from his perspective and it hardly bothered me at all, especially with the bass playering and drummer playing as well.

You mentioned higher presence impulses.. I also found cutting low and boosting certain upper mids increased the clarity. It's a chord by chord basis though and it depends on which chords you play and where up the neck you play them.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/xdarrenx

Who's Andy Timmons??

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 04-20-2014 at 07:54 AM.
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #3805
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

I'm not someone who thinks pickups are always super integral to your tone, but they can certainly be a factor when it comes to note definition and clarity. It's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable when a pickup is a wee bit too muddy.
bassmastamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #3806
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:
I'm not someone who thinks pickups are always super integral to your tone, but they can certainly be a factor when it comes to note definition and clarity. It's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable when a pickup is a wee bit too muddy.

Definitely makes a difference imo.

It also becomes (obviously) more apparent the louder you play.

When you play soft it's less noticeable, but when you play at "band" volumes there's most definitely a big difference.

I always cut through better, and my guitar seems to have a less broad but more focused sound spectrum wise.

My other bandmember plays an SG with standard pups, and his sound always seems so scratchy and undefined.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/xdarrenx

Who's Andy Timmons??

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 04-20-2014 at 12:08 PM.
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #3807
AmonMortem
VONDSKAPENS MAKT!

So, I plugged the interface in, and I had it recording in Audacity, but the volume was really low. I tried different things, and nothing really worked. Also, how do I get my other things (amp sim, cab sim, effects, etc.) I downloaded to work in Audacity?
AmonMortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #3808
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdarrenxx
You mentioned higher presence impulses.. I also found cutting low and boosting certain upper mids increased the clarity. It's a chord by chord basis though and it depends on which chords you play and where up the neck you play them.

Well, for the sound I want, I want a fair bit of mids and lows. My bridge pickup is fairly low/mod heavy, so I don't tend to raise those ranges. But I've got the tone pretty much where I want it. I have bite and clarity now, depending on how I play. I've been playing long enough to know that a lot of it is how you play a riff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmonMortem
So, I plugged the interface in, and I had it recording in Audacity, but the volume was really low. I tried different things, and nothing really worked. Also, how do I get my other things (amp sim, cab sim, effects, etc.) I downloaded to work in Audacity?

Turn the gain up on the interface until it clips. (There should be a light somewhere on the interface that says it's clipping). Then, turn it down by tiny increments until it's just before where it clips. Then, play a bit and make sure it isn't clipping when you palm mute or whatever and turn it down a tiny bit more if it is.

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 04-20-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Rate This Thread: