Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
tigerjds

Help with new guitar

Hey guys Im new to the site so I hope this is the right forum for this question. Im looking to buy a acoustic-electric in the $400-$500 range. Ive found a Epiphone masterbuilt for $399, Martin 000cx1e for $499, and a Washburn wd25 for $359. Those are just 3 that cought my eye and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions of those 3 or maybe have a better sugestion of something else in that price range. Im reletively new so all three of the above play ok to me. Just needing some advice or input to help make my mind up. Thanks
tigerjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
stepchildusmc

the masterbilt is a good guitar if you can find a good one. they seem to be extremely inconsistant in their build quality.
the martin X series is ok, i'm not a fan of HPL( martins version of plywood). it's a decent low end guitar but not something i would keep as my main axe.
the washburn i kow nothing of so can offer no opinion on them.
so that gets us down to..just what are you planning on doing with it?? what kind of music do you like, do you prefer fingerstyle music( smaller-bodied guitars are better for that) or are you planning on being more of a strummer with some fingerstyle? for that a larger body is usually better.
a couple of quick responses should be able to let us help you a little better
Old 09-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
tigerjds

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
the masterbilt is a good guitar if you can find a good one. they seem to be extremely inconsistant in their build quality.
the martin X series is ok, i'm not a fan of HPL( martins version of plywood). it's a decent low end guitar but not something i would keep as my main axe.
the washburn i kow nothing of so can offer no opinion on them.
so that gets us down to..just what are you planning on doing with it?? what kind of music do you like, do you prefer fingerstyle music( smaller-bodied guitars are better for that) or are you planning on being more of a strummer with some fingerstyle? for that a larger body is usually better.
a couple of quick responses should be able to let us help you a little better

Right now Im just looking for something to jam around the house with. Im still in the process of learning and dont really consider my self good enough to play in front of people other than a few friends. I want something i can grow into as i get better and not something im gone be tired of down the road. I mostly listen and play country, rock, classic rock, etc. I dont play much fingerstyle as it hasnt come easy in the learning process but im working on it and want to have that option in a guitar once in a while but i will be doing more strumming. Thanks for the help, hope this clarifies things a little
tigerjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
stepchildusmc

carifies it a lot. thank you.
if you can bring someone with a LOT of experience with you, the masterbilt would be a good choice if they have a few of them to choose from....keeping in mind that strings do make a huge difference to a guitars sound.
i myself would go with Yamaha's fgx720 or 730 models. they sound almost as good as a lot of the higher end guitars. they'll be able to keep up with your learning for a few years at least. i would recommend having it "set up" when you buy it. good guitars out of the box but, the action is always a bit high. plus, after sitting in a box and then on a wall for a while they'll need a little love to make them more playable.
stay away from guitars without solid woods. laminate(plywood) guitars while being able to withstand drastic changes in temp and humidity well don't have a very good tone(sound) or sustain(length of note ring). your puting enough money out there to get a decent one.
a lot of makers rely on bling to sell guitars...see Dean or Luna for examples. what they lack in good quality sound they make up for in pretty.
if you wanna LOOK good holding a guitar, they're the way to go. but if you want to SOUND good playing a guitar, stay with an all solid wood guitar.

Rate This Thread: