Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #21
Dr Sixstring
UG's Snips

If I were to start right now transcribing what would you reccomended trying? Twinkle twinkle little star, something like that? Any song recommendations would be awesome.

2007 Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose Amp
Dr Sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #22
Chorstman

You could start with something like twinkle twinkle, but I would find that really boring and either give up or just not be satisfied if I actually figured it out. It depends on what style you're in to and who your favorite guitarists are. For example John Mayer is one of my favorite guitarists and the first song i'm trying to transcribe fully is Vultures. It's definitely a little harder than what I should be starting on, but I love the song and its actually rewarding when I figure some part of it out. I would just start with an easier song by an artist that you like. That way you have motivation to actually learn the song cause transcribing isn't easy.
Chorstman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #23
deltadaz

Now starting after 23 years justin guitar has a nice free little course to get started with
Old 04-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #24
J2G
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sixstring
If I were to start right now transcribing what would you reccomended trying? Twinkle twinkle little star, something like that? Any song recommendations would be awesome.

The funny thing is I did that like my 5th month of playing and got so excited. Yes, start simple... you'll see progress like your Poke'Mon get XP... take your time on it, it's not easy but it's not nearly impossible.
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #25
J_W

I didn't start using tabs to learn songs until I'd been playing for over 10 years. I learned every song I knew completely by ear for those first 10 years.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #26
SebastianGrosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorstman
Hey Everyone,

I have been playing the guitar now for around a year and nine months. I am starting to get into transcribing things because I have heard it is one of the best ways to make progress with your playing. I'm just curious when you guys started transcribing music? After a year of playing? Two? Etc.

Also I have thought about starting to learn songs exclusively by transcribing. No tabs or online videos. I would however not be able to learn the difficulty of songs that I am learning now because my transcribing ability is pretty low. I'm guessing in the long run it would pay off as my transcribing ability began to increase though. What do you guys think?

I have started transcribing immediately because I had no access to instructional materials back when I've started. You should also read music because it will help you in your transcribing. Later you could also try to transcribe without using an instrument. This will help a lot but it's kind a difficult.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:15 AM   #27
Craig Hardie

I also started transcribing as soon as I began learning to play. Back when I started, there weren't a lot of great tabs around, and even official publications were often full of errors so I had to learn to do it myself. I can't stress enough the importance of doing this as it relates to developing your aural skills as well as improving your understanding of guitar technique generally. I also found it helpful in the early days to read a good book on music theory and learn to write simple musical notation (not tablature).
Craig Hardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #28
bondmorkret

I always advice even my complete beginner students to start transcribing, BUT to start with achievable aims (like working out the happy birthday melody or something), its such a productive way to spend your practice time!

Rate This Thread: