Password
Search:

Old 12-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #21
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
Hit the nail on the head!

...but I'm basically asserting that composers do NOT think about scales, in the same way that we don't think about the alphabet.

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #22
chronowarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
...but I'm basically asserting that composers do NOT think about scales, in the same way that we don't think about the alphabet.

We're in agreement here.

My issue is that it has become a trend on this forum to pretend that scales are useless and that modes don't exist. I understand some have adopted these highly fringe positions as a reaction to the inordinate amount of time that is wasted discussing basic, building block principles ad-infinitum. However, it's nice to see someone (you) demonstrate that you realize and understand the purpose these concepts serve, but at the same time realize that far too much time is spent fixating on them.

Go re-read your post and meditate on how much MORE HELPFUL it is than "scales and modes are useless and don't exist".
Old 12-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #23
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Go re-read your post and meditate on how much MORE HELPFUL it is than "scales and modes are useless and don't exist".

*looks at my sig*

looooooooooooooooool

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #24
chronowarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
*looks at my sig*

looooooooooooooooool

the ironings.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #25
ArtistLion

So when playing a scale I should view it as a mere physical exercise that lets me identify/find notes on the fretboard. What have I been playing scales FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!!! (cookies for the one getting the reference).
Another interesting question popped in my mind. If 1 consonant chord/tone and 1 dissonant/tone are played at the same time(for ex. 1 guitar chord and 1 bass chord), will they combine into a consonant? If not, can they reach consonance by modulation or transposition?
As for scales, when may I stop learning them? I'm currently learning the A minor pentatonic (all positions), G major pentatonic (all positions) and C major (all positions). I can play the Am and G on a current max. of 125 bpm. The C major sounded a bit sloppy on that speed, I estamate my playing speed of that scale would be like 115-120ish bpm.
I'm seriously thinking about replacing scale practice for licks or riffs >_>. I use 15 minutes on them O_O.
ArtistLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #26
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Try going up and down scales by intervals other than 2nds.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #27
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Hey, thanks for telling me what you DON'T and DO do when you compose.
Do you have any books on the subject, or a breadth of musical works that I could refer to as a reference? If you're prescribing the rules by which one is allowed to compose, I'm sure you're an authority on the matter.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the composers have an idea in their head when they compose and don't just randomly play scales up and down. That was my point. You can compose however you want but if you let your fingers do the composing, you'll end up playing the licks your fingers remember. And you'll end up sounding the same all the time. Usually composers have a good ear and they can compose without having an instrument near them. I wasn't trying to say it's the only way to compose and there are some rules. No, there are not. You misunderstood my post. Sorry if I was unclear.

And I didn't even say scales are useless. They are a good tool if you want to find the notes you are looking for. If you have a melody in your head, it usually belongs to a scale and if you know the scale, finding the notes is easier. But usually the only thing every guitarist thinks is "what scale does this solo use." They don't think about the chord progression or the key they are playing in, just the scale. They don't see the big picture of the song, they only see the guitar solo part and what scale it uses. The question shouldn't be what scale, it should be how to use the scale. You can make a major scale sound good and you can make some epic mode sound bad. It's about how you use it, not what scale you are using. Many guitarists think that you will sound like Jimi Hendrix if you use same scales as Jimi Hendrix.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 12-14-2012 at 04:29 PM.
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #28
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistLion
So when playing a scale I should view it as a mere physical exercise that lets me identify/find notes on the fretboard. What have I been playing scales FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!!! (cookies for the one getting the reference).
Another interesting question popped in my mind. If 1 consonant chord/tone and 1 dissonant/tone are played at the same time(for ex. 1 guitar chord and 1 bass chord), will they combine into a consonant? If not, can they reach consonance by modulation or transposition?
As for scales, when may I stop learning them? I'm currently learning the A minor pentatonic (all positions), G major pentatonic (all positions) and C major (all positions). I can play the Am and G on a current max. of 125 bpm. The C major sounded a bit sloppy on that speed, I estamate my playing speed of that scale would be like 115-120ish bpm.
I'm seriously thinking about replacing scale practice for licks or riffs >_>. I use 15 minutes on them O_O.

Wat.
That doesn't make any sense
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #29
fearofthemark
UG Fanatic

Quote:

Dude. The pentatonic scale is the same in every key. there are five shapes that fit together and can be moved around wherever you want. Stop learning them when you know them. Then play them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

fearofthemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #30
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearofthemark
Dude. The pentatonic scale is the same in every key. there are five shapes that fit together and can be moved around wherever you want. Stop learning them when you know them. Then play them.

The scale is not the same in every key. The shape is.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #31
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
As for scales, when may I stop learning them? I'm currently learning the A minor pentatonic (all positions), G major pentatonic (all positions) and C major (all positions).

You're wasting your time. It's advisable to learn diatonic chord progressions in a major key, and standard blues form.

The next issue is whether you understand the word "diatonic" or not. Cuz otherwise what I wrote above is utter pointless, and thus a waste of MY time, also. Albeit 30 secs worth.

Last edited by mdc : 12-14-2012 at 08:08 PM.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #32
fearofthemark
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
The scale is not the same in every key. The shape is.

thanks for not being pedantic. You know what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

fearofthemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #33
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearofthemark

thanks for not being pedantic. You know what I meant.

You're welcome
Old 12-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #34
Hail
kill both bass players

what ever happened to, y'know, just writing what sounded good

that ability comes from intuition, which in turn comes from an understanding of the machinations of whatever music you're inspired and challenged by

but i don't think of notes or intervals when i play, i just go by sound and feel and experiment. maybe i'm too liberal for this crowd, i mean, how in the world would i go about improvising a solo over a series of rapid-change jazz chords while somebody held a gun to my head and the song was written 10 years in the future and brought back in time just for that context so it was impossible for me to think about it before seeing it?

i guess i just can't fly in the real world, but hey, it's just my hobby i guess
Hail is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: