Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #21
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcagger
lovely tone man, hngd

Thanks.

Anywho, I decided to do a clip with a distortion pedal if anybody was curious about how they sound. I changed the settings a bit (Lower volume, on the dark setting now and plugged into the accordion input). Same guitar.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #22
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R

I'm kind of curious as to what causes the rattle in these things. Probably just loose screws and stuff?

it can be a number of things... there's a thread on tgp where some people ripped the thing apart and put it together again (with padding and stuff like that), which seemed to work. some other people got lucky and the rattle stopped when the preamp valves were changed. that actually fixed mine, but the tremolo was dodgy too so i had to send it back... the tremolo worked when it returned but then it rattled nomatter what preamp tubes i had in there. at that point i figured i'd cut my losses EDIT: nice new clip. i thought it took pedals pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 02-09-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #23
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
it can be a number of things... there's a thread on tgp where some people ripped the thing apart and put it together again (with padding and stuff like that), which seemed to work. some other people got lucky and the rattle stopped when the preamp valves were changed. that actually fixed mine, but the tremolo was dodgy too so i had to send it back... the tremolo worked when it returned but then it rattled nomatter what preamp tubes i had in there. at that point i figured i'd cut my losses EDIT: nice new clip. i thought it took pedals pretty well.

I see. Hopefully it doesn't rattle if I decide to get better tubes. I'd be pretty gutted if I was stuck with the Chinese ones.

Haven't had any problems with my tremolo yet. What happened with yours? I'm guessing it was cutting out and stuff?

Thanks. It's not a bad sound but I should definitely use something better than a FAB distortion next time.

Quote:
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #24
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah it'd be worth trying different tubes- there was nothing obviously wrong with my tremolo with the stock tubes, but then when i put in different preamp tubes there was just no tremolo.

rattle shouldn't be a worry with the new tubes i don't think (unless they're microphonic i guess, but then you could just get different non-microphonic ones).

lol about the pedal. some cheap pedals can be pretty nice. a lot are clones of dearer pedals now

Quote:

Old 02-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #25
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Yeah, I wouldn't mind picking up one of those JOYO Sweet Honey clones. It'll complete my Chinese rig of doom

I'll probably keep the amp for a bit and see if it lasts. If I don't run into any problems, I'll probably consider upgrading the speakers and getting some nicer tubes

Quote:

Only at times, though.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #26
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah the sweet baby seems quite nice (though i haven't tried the original). suffers slightly from "that sounds really nice, now what can i use it for?" syndrome, lol, but it is a nice od pedal and if a ts is too midhumpy or smooth or light on the bass but a timmy or bluesbreaker or something like that is too transparent then it might be worth a try. kinda reminds me of a treblier/edgier ocd (or more accurately a brighter joyo ultimate drive, as i haven't tried the original).

for the 17 or whatever silly price i paid for mine from ******** in china it's hard to go wrong, lol.

EDIT: i can't remember if i tried it with the excelsior, though i don't see why it wouldn't work. Most of my time with the excelsior was spent troubleshooting

Quote:

Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #27
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
yeah the sweet baby seems quite nice (though i haven't tried the original). suffers slightly from "that sounds really nice, now what can i use it for?" syndrome, lol, but it is a nice od pedal and if a ts is too midhumpy or smooth or light on the bass but a timmy or bluesbreaker or something like that is too transparent then it might be worth a try. kinda reminds me of a treblier/edgier ocd (or more accurately a brighter joyo ultimate drive, as i haven't tried the original).

for the 17 or whatever silly price i paid for mine from ******** in china it's hard to go wrong, lol.

EDIT: i can't remember if i tried it with the excelsior, though i don't see why it wouldn't work. Most of my time with the excelsior was spent troubleshooting

I probably remember the pedal differently but I thought it had kind of a Marshallesque flavor no? Seemed like something I could use as a standalone unit or a boost depending on the situation.

I might have to keep looking

Quote:

Only at times, though.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #28
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah possibly a bit. Much more so than a tubescreamer, anyway. and that focus control almost turns it from a smooth od into an edgier distortion (in terms of tone, anyway), so depending on where you have it set will affect how it sounds. I'd say more of a vintage marshally type of thing, though. i don't think you'd do hotrodded 800 tones with it, lol. and if you wanted early van halen tones the hot plexi would be better (though can be very bright).

don't get me wrong, it's a nice pedal (the sweet baby). Plus i don't tend to tweak much so i probably didn't give it as much of a try as i should, lol.

Quote:

Old 02-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #29
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Sounds perfect for me. Van Halen is almost too much gain for my tastes these days so I'd rather something JTM or even early plexi-ish in terms of gain.

Also, the Excelsior loves old Crybaby pedals. I'm having a blast with this thing

Quote:

Only at times, though.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #30
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah sounds good for what you want

Quote:

Rate This Thread: