Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Discomonkey33

Does miking improve sound quality?

Hey guys, been playing about 7 months so im still learning. But I was at a buddies house the other day jamming out. Now he has a small studio setup with a mixing board, studio monitors, amps, mics, etc... So I brought my acoustic with (guild d150) and we miked it so that the sound would come through the monitors. It's a small 10x7 room and we put the mic about 8-12" from the soundhole. We weren't trying to record, we were just trying to bring up my volume.

As soon as I started playing, I noticed a HUGE difference in tone quality. The bass was much more round, and the mids and highs were much more crisp. Since my playing came out of the monitors, the sound seemed to "fill" the room better and sound more even.

What I ask, is do people mic their acoustics for better tone during practicing? Or is miking more exclusive to people trying to record something? I want to get the best tone I can, like what I heard at my buddies house. I already have an electric/acoustic that I can plug into an amp, but it never sounds good to me. My guild has no plugin and sounded MUCH better miked, so I feel more comfortable doing so.

So whats a solid setup for someone like me (beginner) to mic an acoustic through monitors with. Or if someone has a better alternative to "electrifying" an acoustic, lay it on me. I don't want to have to buy a mixing board and software and all, I'm not trying to record (yet!), I just want better volume, tone, etc...I'm lost when it comes to things with plugs and wires
Discomonkey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

no, mic'ing doesn't improve your tone quality - you will get more bass if a mic is close to the soundhole, but most of the improvement has more to do with what he's doing in the amplification, quality of his mic and speakers. the tone you're hearing has little or nothing to do with your guitar. the joy of amplifying is that you can change so much about your tone without changing anything about your guitar.

btw, crappy amps, poorly adjusted equalizers, lousy mics can make your guitar sound worse.

if you're not happy with your guitar, perhaps different strings would make the tone more appealing for you. also if you want more bass, having a soundport cut in the upper side often brings lots more to the player's ear.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
Discomonkey33

Thanks for the reply patti, I know the tone is not my guitar, it's the equipment. I am plenty happy with my guitar tone, the guild d150 sounds amazing as it is.

I guess what I am looking for, is that "stereo" sound. It sounded as if I were listening to myself play through an iPod and could hear myself play better; more clear etc... I know why this is, it's because the sound is basically coming through a stereo.

I just didn't know if I people do this type of thing while jamming out. I guess nobody is stopping me from miking my guitar through monitors, I just don't want to look weird miking an acoustic for "no specific reason"...
Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
supersac

peple do lot sof things for"no specific reasons" if you like how it sounds and its worth it for you do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

Discomonkey33, sounds like a sound port might be just the ticket... that way, you hear the guitar through its soundhole and through the sound port. maybe you can find a guitar with a sound port to try. we bought a really cheap guitar (the rogue starter guitar) and my husband cut one in it to see how it changed the tone.

Last edited by patticake : 01-11-2013 at 12:31 AM.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #6
Captaincranky

TBH, you may not like the sound of the room you normally play your guitar in.

If the guitar sounds good to you, mic it through a good reverb, or a delay with pan out, to a second amp in another room. It's like having an all stone church at your disposal.

Toy with the whole concept, and use PA or Hi-fi amps. Guitar amps have too much, "personality".

Quote:
also if you want more bass, having a soundport cut in the upper side often brings lots more to the player's ear.
Really Patti, cut a hole? How come I always meet a ton of resistance when I suggest aftermarket installs of peizos and onboard electronics? (Which could require cutting holes.... in expensive guitars).
Captaincranky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:10 AM   #7
Discomonkey33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Really Patti, cut a hole? How come I always meet a ton of resistance when I suggest aftermarket installs of peizos and onboard electronics? (Which could require cutting holes.... in expensive guitars).

Hmm...that gave me an idea, il just pull out the fishman in my other acoustic it's right at the shoulder of my guitar. maybe that might open some new doors for me.

But supersac has a good point, if I like it, maybe I should just do it... I like the idea of my playing coming out of my a stereo.

Thanks for everyone's help

Rate This Thread: