Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #11501
Will Lane
's valveking rocks
 
Will Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
I see.

Personally, I'd email Peavey or ask on their Forum on their web site. They are real good about getting back to people quickly.

What is your ultimate goal here? More volume? Dispersion? Does the amp have a Ext Speaker out?

Just to extend my tone, and for kicks.

It does have a extension port, but the internal speaker cuts off if that port is used.

I could make an entirely separate cab for the two speakers in series that way, then... c:
__________________
The only rules to music are the ones you set yourself.
https://soundcloud.com/celestialcannons
Washburn X-30, Valveking with Retro 30 Speaker, Roland 20X, all the pedals

Last edited by Will Lane : 01-08-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:10 AM   #11502
Cap47
Registered VK 112 AbUser
 
Cap47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Panasoffkee, FL
You could just jumper the switch tabs in the jack and you don't need to add a box. When the jack is plugged the contact is broken to the internal speaker so a jumper across it leaves it on. You would then have a non switching jack. If you use a two speaker cabinet it has to be wired for 16 ohm, 8+8= 16 in series. Anything else is a risk to your Output Transformer. Do not use two 16 ohm speakers in the external cab. You could use a single speaker cab with one 16 ohm speaker.
__________________
Charlie 5e3 Build
08LPRobo,08 Fnd Strat DLX,07LP
11Fnd Tel MIM Dlx W/Tronical Tune
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
Cap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:52 AM   #11503
Cap47
Registered VK 112 AbUser
 
Cap47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Panasoffkee, FL


It appears your jack is the plastic type. You will have to find the switching mechanizm and jumper it. Red and Black are the speaker wires in this picture of a VK112.

Anytime you are working inside the chassis you have to make sure the Capacitors are discharged because there is danger of coming in contact with a stored high voltage. The WIKI has the info to do that.

__________________
Charlie 5e3 Build
08LPRobo,08 Fnd Strat DLX,07LP
11Fnd Tel MIM Dlx W/Tronical Tune
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI

Last edited by Cap47 : 01-09-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Cap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #11504
MatsEriksson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Hum in fx loop if in stereo

Hi folks!

I have a strange problem with my effects loop on VK112, which is quite stock, apart from a speaker swap. I connect the effects loop to have two returns, one back into the vk112 at the return, and another one to - say - a left amp from a stereo delay/reverb pedal to produce stereo. In the other amp, there's loud hum, but not in the VK112. Now for the strange thing:

1. When the second amp is on, BUT NOT THE VK112 (it is turned off! Not even standby), it still hums.

2. The hum at the second amp stops only when I remove the mains contact from the back of the VK112. I e even when it is turned off. Everything goes to the same ground, and through a Furman conditioner. If I plug it back in, without turning the vk112 on at all, the hum comes back. If I remove the fx loop cables, it stops.

3. It has worked without problems before. This has crept up recently!

4. When using a MONO return, i e only back into the VK112 and no extra external amp, it has no hum at all, and everything works like it used to.

Ok, all cables and such things has been checked. I've also tried different auxillary amps for the "left" amp in stereo.

I wonder what to look for inside the VK112?

Last edited by MatsEriksson : 01-13-2015 at 06:34 PM.
MatsEriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #11505
Sox0690
Telecaster User
 
Sox0690's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: America
I am thinking about changing the preamp tubes in my 112. I'm hoping to brighten up the amp a little and was wondering what suggestions you guys have that have swapped tubes before. I've gone through the wiki but all I really got from that are combos for hard rock (which I guess the VK is geared towards, but not necessarily what I'm hoping for) I'm hoping to use relatively cheap tubes and curious what you guys have tried with both good and bad results.

I mostly use the clean channel and then dirty things up with pedals. Thanks for any input you guys have.
__________________
Guitars:
Single Humbucker Partscaster
MIM Tele (P90 Neck, GFS Hot Rails Bridge)
Gear:
GGG Fuzz Face > Bad Monkey (Removed C5) > OCD > MXR '78 > D.onner Tutti Love > NS-2 > Joyo D-Seed > Hotone Verb > Fish n' Chips > VK 112 (JCM800 Mod)

Last edited by Sox0690 : 01-13-2015 at 11:42 PM.
Sox0690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #11506
Cap47
Registered VK 112 AbUser
 
Cap47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Panasoffkee, FL
You only have one return and one send. I don't see how you could run two amps unless you split the "send". I use a stereo effects pedal. The "A" Send is connected thru pedal to "A" Return and the "B" Return goes to the second amp front input.

As for the hum, make sure jack nuts are snug at both amps to be sure of grounding.
__________________
Charlie 5e3 Build
08LPRobo,08 Fnd Strat DLX,07LP
11Fnd Tel MIM Dlx W/Tronical Tune
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI

Last edited by Cap47 : 01-15-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Cap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #11507
Cap47
Registered VK 112 AbUser
 
Cap47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Panasoffkee, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox0690
I am thinking about changing the preamp tubes in my 112. I'm hoping to brighten up the amp a little and was wondering what suggestions you guys have that have swapped tubes before. I've gone through the wiki but all I really got from that are combos for hard rock (which I guess the VK is geared towards, but not necessarily what I'm hoping for) I'm hoping to use relatively cheap tubes and curious what you guys have tried with both good and bad results.

I mostly use the clean channel and then dirty things up with pedals. Thanks for any input you guys have.

VK112, 212 and 100 Tube Suggestions
Power Tubes I like: Only power tubes need to be biased.
TAD 6L6WGC-STR, Sovtec 6L6WXT+ and for 112 only Tung-Sol KT66. RCA 6l6gc black plate
KT66 is too large to fit side by side in the four tube socket spacing.
Preamp tubes: Balanced triode are unnecessary for a guitar amp.
V1 TAD 7025 Highgrade, Tung-sol 12ax7 R.I.. RCA or real Mullard 12ax7, Telefunken smooth plate
V2 Penta 12ax7 9th gen, Mullard 12ax7 R.I.. RCA
V3 Sovtec 12ax7 LPS low noise for PI. RCA long plate
Vendors:
http://www.mojotone.com/
www.thetubestore.com
www.dougstubes.com
http://www.kcanostubes.com/
__________________
Charlie 5e3 Build
08LPRobo,08 Fnd Strat DLX,07LP
11Fnd Tel MIM Dlx W/Tronical Tune
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
Cap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:20 PM   #11508
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
Charlie, do you not care for JJs in a VK? Too dark? Thoughts?
__________________
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:21 PM   #11509
Will Lane
's valveking rocks
 
Will Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
So here's a (lengthy) sound demo of the Retro 30. I was using a shoddy USB mic so a decent amount of the sound quality is probably gone :/. Live, she sounds superb though. Gorgeous sparkle, punch, and low end tightness. I recommend.

Sorry for the jpegs, I tried uploading on Soundcloud but it wouldn't let me. Oh well.

I used a variety of pedals/effects at a variety of times, I can't be bothered to list/remember where I used them. I do know that the EQ was flat the whole time (except for the "Panama" section, that was dimed), I had the resonance off (I use it on live, just not with my mic) most of the time and the texture was at full most of the time. I had my Soul Food set to mildly heavy overdrive both by itself and to push the amp's lead channel. I had the RAT set to more or less a "fuzz" kind of distortion.

Before amp: Washburn X-30, Micro POG, Soul Food, RAT, amp input #2 (dummy jack in 1). Effects loop: RP-155, The Analogizer, Hotone Liftup.

Also, I made this silly amp stand for the VK. It looks like a vacuum cleaner nozzle.
__________________
The only rules to music are the ones you set yourself.
https://soundcloud.com/celestialcannons
Washburn X-30, Valveking with Retro 30 Speaker, Roland 20X, all the pedals

Last edited by Will Lane : 01-15-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:41 PM   #11510
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
Nice demo!

It took me a bit to realize that the amp pic was just a pic and not a video

I love your logo



Also....I don't understand your amp stand
__________________
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:53 AM   #11511
Will Lane
's valveking rocks
 
Will Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
^tbh I don't either. It works though as long as the flooring is carpeted. I wouldn't dare use it on hard-wood/vinyl/tiling. Thanks though c:
__________________
The only rules to music are the ones you set yourself.
https://soundcloud.com/celestialcannons
Washburn X-30, Valveking with Retro 30 Speaker, Roland 20X, all the pedals
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #11512
MatsEriksson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap47
You only have one return and one send. I don't see how you could run two amps unless you split the "send". I use a stereo effects pedal. The "A" Send is connected thru pedal to "A" Return and the "B" Return goes to the second amp front input.

As for the hum, make sure jack nuts are snug at both amps to be sure of grounding.


Checked the jack nuts properly.

Well, like this then. I have a Strymon Blue Sky Reverb pedal. The SEND from VK112 goes into the INPUT jack of the Strymon which is ONE input. Say the left, or mono. The OUTPUT jacks from the Strymon Reverb goes ONE (LEFT) back into the VK112 RETURN, and the OTHER (right) output from Strymon goes to another amp. So the left output will be heard in the VK112 and the right on another amp. The other amp it goes into the input jack and not any fx send/return loop there.

So the Strymon Blue Sky Reverb is the splitter you asked for. Don't need a splitter, since the Strymon divides the mono input signal into a full stereo output with both L & R.

NOTE: It has worked before, so some hum has suddenly occured. Tried 3 other amps, and about 6-8 other cables. Have run it through outboard mixers line input too, just for checking things.

Last edited by MatsEriksson : 01-16-2015 at 10:28 AM.
MatsEriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #11513
Sox0690
Telecaster User
 
Sox0690's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: America
I did 65SG's JCM mod on my 112 yesterday. If you're doing this mod and are freaking out because the clean channel and one gain channel aren't working, you probably didn't make the cut on the board completely (don't ask how I know). Unfortunately I haven't had much time to play with it besides knowing that it works.

Besides that I've got new 12AX7 tubes on the way (V1 Tung Sol, V2 JJ, V3 Sovtek LPS) and I'm ordering a WGS Retro 30 today. I'm looking forward to hearing how it'll sound in the next week. Hopefully not too bad for a total of $315 ($200 for amp, $45 for tubes, $70 for speaker)
__________________
Guitars:
Single Humbucker Partscaster
MIM Tele (P90 Neck, GFS Hot Rails Bridge)
Gear:
GGG Fuzz Face > Bad Monkey (Removed C5) > OCD > MXR '78 > D.onner Tutti Love > NS-2 > Joyo D-Seed > Hotone Verb > Fish n' Chips > VK 112 (JCM800 Mod)
Sox0690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:07 PM   #11514
Cap47
Registered VK 112 AbUser
 
Cap47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Panasoffkee, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Charlie, do you not care for JJs in a VK? Too dark? Thoughts?

I tried the preamp tubes they sell, both versions and didn't care for them. Guess they were dark. It has been a few years since.
__________________
Charlie 5e3 Build
08LPRobo,08 Fnd Strat DLX,07LP
11Fnd Tel MIM Dlx W/Tronical Tune
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
Cap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:47 PM   #11515
Cap47
Registered VK 112 AbUser
 
Cap47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Panasoffkee, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Lane
So here's a (lengthy) sound demo of the Retro 30. I was using a shoddy USB mic so a decent amount of the sound quality is probably gone :/. Live, she sounds superb though. Gorgeous sparkle, punch, and low end tightness. I recommend.

Sorry for the jpegs, I tried uploading on Soundcloud but it wouldn't let me. Oh well.

I used a variety of pedals/effects at a variety of times, I can't be bothered to list/remember where I used them. I do know that the EQ was flat the whole time (except for the "Panama" section, that was dimed), I had the resonance off (I use it on live, just not with my mic) most of the time and the texture was at full most of the time. I had my Soul Food set to mildly heavy overdrive both by itself and to push the amp's lead channel. I had the RAT set to more or less a "fuzz" kind of distortion.

Before amp: Washburn X-30, Micro POG, Soul Food, RAT, amp input #2 (dummy jack in 1). Effects loop: RP-155, The Analogizer, Hotone Liftup.

Also, I made this silly amp stand for the VK. It looks like a vacuum cleaner nozzle.

That Retro sounds excellent!
__________________
Charlie 5e3 Build
08LPRobo,08 Fnd Strat DLX,07LP
11Fnd Tel MIM Dlx W/Tronical Tune
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
Cap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:53 PM   #11516
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap47
I tried the preamp tubes they sell, both versions and didn't care for them. Guess they were dark. It has been a few years since.

I see. Just curious.

I really like them in my current amps. They are cheap and seem to last a long time.
__________________
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:57 PM   #11517
Cap47
Registered VK 112 AbUser
 
Cap47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Panasoffkee, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsEriksson
Checked the jack nuts properly.

Well, like this then. I have a Strymon Blue Sky Reverb pedal. The SEND from VK112 goes into the INPUT jack of the Strymon which is ONE input. Say the left, or mono. The OUTPUT jacks from the Strymon Reverb goes ONE (LEFT) back into the VK112 RETURN, and the OTHER (right) output from Strymon goes to another amp. So the left output will be heard in the VK112 and the right on another amp. The other amp it goes into the input jack and not any fx send/return loop there.

So the Strymon Blue Sky Reverb is the splitter you asked for. Don't need a splitter, since the Strymon divides the mono input signal into a full stereo output with both L & R.

NOTE: It has worked before, so some hum has suddenly occured. Tried 3 other amps, and about 6-8 other cables. Have run it through outboard mixers line input too, just for checking things.

I understand now and it is basically the same as I do with a stereo effect pedal. They have "A & B" Inputs and Outputs!
__________________
Charlie 5e3 Build
08LPRobo,08 Fnd Strat DLX,07LP
11Fnd Tel MIM Dlx W/Tronical Tune
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
Cap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:04 AM   #11518
Cap47
Registered VK 112 AbUser
 
Cap47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Panasoffkee, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsEriksson
Checked the jack nuts properly.

Well, like this then. I have a Strymon Blue Sky Reverb pedal. The SEND from VK112 goes into the INPUT jack of the Strymon which is ONE input. Say the left, or mono. The OUTPUT jacks from the Strymon Reverb goes ONE (LEFT) back into the VK112 RETURN, and the OTHER (right) output from Strymon goes to another amp. So the left output will be heard in the VK112 and the right on another amp. The other amp it goes into the input jack and not any fx send/return loop there.

So the Strymon Blue Sky Reverb is the splitter you asked for. Don't need a splitter, since the Strymon divides the mono input signal into a full stereo output with both L & R.

NOTE: It has worked before, so some hum has suddenly occured. Tried 3 other amps, and about 6-8 other cables. Have run it through outboard mixers line input too, just for checking things.

Check to see if all Pots are tight also, The nuts under the knobs. There are grounding teeth on each Pot that dig in when the nut is tightened.
__________________
Charlie 5e3 Build
08LPRobo,08 Fnd Strat DLX,07LP
11Fnd Tel MIM Dlx W/Tronical Tune
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
Cap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #11519
Will Lane
's valveking rocks
 
Will Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
I'm trying to replace the LED in my Valveking 112. I just want a different color, that's all. I did some reading on it from the wiki, but I'm not sure how to measure what I need to know/what to get/how to do it. I imagine I'll need to open up the chassis. Do I need to drain the caps? What else should I know?
__________________
The only rules to music are the ones you set yourself.
https://soundcloud.com/celestialcannons
Washburn X-30, Valveking with Retro 30 Speaker, Roland 20X, all the pedals
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2015
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.