Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #21
TJHague

Just curious, why did you order the diodes from China? Did somewhere like newark or mouser not have them?

Either way, totally awesome build I'm excited to see where you go with this
TJHague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #22
Toxic_Noname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity ninja
Nice builds, it's always cool to see other builders/modders gear

If you're into this in the UK it can be a bit of a bitch to get kits - very handy for beginners. The site I use also sells just PCBs for different pedals etc. so it works quite nicely if you wanna keep costs down.

I think for a full Fuzz Factory kit (Board mounted pots, pre drilled case, switch, pcb, components, jacks) it's about 40. If you bought the PCB by itself (6) and the box (~11), you could probably shave about a tenner off the overall price. If you're interested just google poodles pedal parts, it'll come up.

I promise I don't work for them, their kits have just made my life so much easier in the past and I probably wouldn't have gotten into this if not for them

Thank for your interest in my builds. Always nice to find out about other pedal builders out there.

I just checked out the site you recommended and they really have many interesting kits and pcbs. But I find it more interesting to tweak some existing pedals to what I like, so I prefer to work with many individual parts and veroboard. I'm also from Germany and not from the UK, so the shipping cost would probably be pretty high. But I really appreciate your help, thanks dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHague
Just curious, why did you order the diodes from China? Did somewhere like newark or mouser not have them?

Either way, totally awesome build I'm excited to see where you go with this

I actually ordered them on ebay, because they seemed to be a nice package and they were only like 3 bucks. Of course I could have ordered them somewhere else, but I was just being lazy.
Anyway, thank you. Glad you like it.
Toxic_Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #23
Toxic_Noname

Another update...

The rest of the parts came in the mail today:

Unfortunately they only sent me one 3PDT footswitch, instead of the 2 I ordered. But I already contacted the shop and there is another one coming my way now.

But there's more. These came all the way from Ukraine:

These are K42Y-2 capacitors. They are military graded NOS Paper in oil caps. Some people say they are the holy grail of audio caps, they are in the original pedal, too. I decided to use those because I wanted to use the highest quality parts I could get. Some people probably won't believe me, but there really is a subtle difference in sound, compared to the usual cheap poly film caps. They are a little warmer and overall more vintage sounding, which suits the pedal really well.

Well, now I pretty much have all the parts for two more of my Vintage Overdrive pedals. The second one will be used for some more testing and sound samples, the third one will be the first one that is on sale.

It will take a few more days until the paintjob of the second enclosure is finished, though. In the meantime I will measure and match all the caps for the next build. I will also measure the hfe (gain factor) of the original transistor and all the other ones I have in stock to be able to match it for the final result. I will also prepare a few more circuit boards so it won't take that much time to assemble the whole thing for my first customer.

Let me know what you think...
Old 05-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #24
Toxic_Noname

Some more progress...

The missing 3PDT footswitch arrived today and I measured and matched all the caps and transistors.

The perfect value for the caps is 0.1 uF = 100 nF, so for 10% tolerance they are pretty good. Sadly I wasn't able to measure the hfe of the transistor I used in the first build, I already cut the legs too short. But I made some tests and it should be somewhere around 420.

After that, I prepared two more pieces of veroboard:

This is how the finished circuit board looks like:

The protection diode actually fits in the old size of the board. The last empty spaces are for the wires going to input, output, the LED, +9V and ground.

This is what the enclosure looks like at the moment:

It just needs some black edging and a clear coat. It will probably be finished at the weekend, so I can start with the final assembly. How do you like the new look?

I'm also going to leave my first model at my local music school for about a week to get some people interested in it. Right now I'm calculating the pedals retail price. It should not take too long until the first one is sold.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #25
Toxic_Noname

Is anyone still interested in this?

I've encountered a problem. Even though I use a good quality 3PDT footswitch and true bypass switching, there is still plenty of signal loss. Some of the high treble is lost and it doesn't sound as 'direct' anymore.

The wiring is fine and there aren't any cold solder joints either, so I really don't see what the problem is. Could it be the kind of wire I used? Or the kind of solder?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #26
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

You may need a buffer if your experiencing some signal loss. Easy enough to build if its the case. But I know you said you checked your connections, but go over it again, change cables, amps, guitars, rule anything and everything out.

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #27
Toxic_Noname

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguitarking927
You may need a buffer if your experiencing some signal loss. Easy enough to build if its the case. But I know you said you checked your connections, but go over it again, change cables, amps, guitars, rule anything and everything out.

Thanks for your help, first of all.

I just did some more tests. All the connections on the inside are fine, I checked them with a multimeter. Changing amp and guitars doesn't make a difference really. But it definitely gets better with shorter and better quality cables. When I put my buffer first in the signal chain the signal loss seems to disappear.

When it got tested at another place, with a cheap power supply and two pretty long cheap cables, the difference was really huge...

Does that mean that there's no problem with the pedal itself at all?
Old 05-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #28
Toxic_Noname

The second enclosure is now almost finished and version 2 of the pedal will probably be finished until tuesday.

In the meantime I recorded some more sound samples of the first version of the pedal:

This time I included a little more variety in the demo. I used different guitars with different pickups and even a bass guitar. I also tried to show some other pedal settings and what the range of the pots can do.

Let me know what you think.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #29
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic_Noname
Thanks for your help, first of all.

I just did some more tests. All the connections on the inside are fine, I checked them with a multimeter. Changing amp and guitars doesn't make a difference really. But it definitely gets better with shorter and better quality cables. When I put my buffer first in the signal chain the signal loss seems to disappear.

When it got tested at another place, with a cheap power supply and two pretty long cheap cables, the difference was really huge...

Does that mean that there's no problem with the pedal itself at all?

Shouldn't be, you just need a buffer section. As much as people praise "true-bypass" you can't have everything true bypass, other wise you do have signal loss. A buffer at the beginning of the pedal chain is always a good idea.

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #30
Toxic_Noname

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguitarking927
Shouldn't be, you just need a buffer section. As much as people praise "true-bypass" you can't have everything true bypass, other wise you do have signal loss. A buffer at the beginning of the pedal chain is always a good idea.

Yes, I realized that, too. I was probably used to have a buffer in the chain. Didn't remember 6 meters of cable made such a big difference.

I'm glad that the problem isn't my fault, thanks for your help...
Old 05-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #31
Toxic_Noname

Arrow

Another update, I just finished the second prototype of the pedal.

Here is what the finished enclosure looked like:

And this is how the finished pedal looks like on the outside...

... and the inside:

Looks a little better than the first build. The flexible wire was also much easier to work with. Adding a fourth wire color also made it easier to see whats going on.

Here is a picture of the pedal family:

Two at the same time actually sounds pretty good. You can get a nice stoner rock sound by cranking the gain on the first and the volume on the other one.

Well, now that I've finished two test builds that work really great, I can finally start selling my builds.

Here are the full specs of the pedal:

- vintage voiced boost/overdrive effect
- very dynamic and transparent
- usable with a standard 9V DC power adapter (center negative)
- true bypass switching
- bright orange status LED, good visibility at every light level
- one volume and one gain control
- compact and solid metal enclosure
- protected against use of the wrong power supply
- very low noise while operating, no additional noise in bypass mode
- unique design, each pedal is hand painted and one of a kind:
- you get to choose what your pedal is going to look like
- best possible parts used (highly selected for optimal tone):
- high quality 3PDT footswitch for reliable true bypass switching
- Neutrik/Rean input and output jacks
- Alpha potentiometers
- NOS paper in oil capacitors (military graded)
- low-noise metal film resistors (1% tolerance)

Here are the links to the sound samples:

The pricing on these pedals is the following:

89 Euro ~ 115 US Dollar ~ 75 GBP

+ shipping to you.

If anyone is interested in buying one of these, you can drop me a private message anytime.

I hope you all had fun seeing the process of me building and improving these pedals. Let me know how you like the final outcome.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #32
Leon987

Looks and sounds great!
although im not sure if you can 'sell' them here...
Leon987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #33
Toxic_Noname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon987
Looks and sounds great!
although im not sure if you can 'sell' them here...

Thank you very much.
I didn't really intend on selling them here. I mainly wanted to share my experience building the pedal and messing with them with the UG community. I just wanted everybody, who is interested, to know that they can just contact me...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #34
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

I didn't take it as him selling, just showing his builds and though process which is pretty cool.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #35
SlenderMan`

if you do start selling them you might want to work on your painting
SlenderMan` is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: