Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
ExDementia
UG Freak

Who's idea was this? (ICT700)

So I just bought an Iceman ICT700, it was a factory second on ebay for $580 shipped with a ICT100c case (great deal).

I pull it out and it's just a beautiful guitar. The only problem is some shoddy paint on the binding along the fretboard, but it was a factory second for a reason right? I'm cool with that.

My complaint, is the location of the strap buttons, namely, the one closest to the neck. If you look at the picture below, you can see that the strap button is up about where most guitars strap would be, barring the Iceman's unique shape (this is a problem).

This makes the guitar very neck heavy while using the strap. It constantly wants to tilt the neck down which is very annoying. Also, it puts the strap at an angle that looks like it will drop at any time. Not a big deal, strap locks are cheap.

If you look at the IC400, it puts the strap button flat on the back of the guitar, just behind the neck:

This is much more comfortable, because it doesn't want to dip the neck down all the time. I don't understand how the people at Ibanez strapped this up and thought it was good to go. It's terrible placement.

My question is; would I be hurting anything by adding a strap button in the same spot the IC400 does? Is there anything special I need to know to do this, or would I be better off taking it to a shop? (I'm a fairly handy guy, but I don't want to mess up this guitar's beautiful tone.)

Thanks

EDIT: Or is it the back strap button that makes it lean forward so much? Now that I'm looking at it, it looks a little high up on the back of the guitar...

Last edited by ExDementia : 06-28-2012 at 04:00 PM.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

don't quote me (i could be completely wrong ), but i would imagine if you got a pro luthier to do it it wouldn't adversely affect the instrument (though it may affect resale value- any changes from the stock configuration, even if they're upgrades, pretty much reduce an instrument's resale value).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Strap Locks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
cemges
Banned

That's a frequent issue with this guitar. Strap lock indeed
cemges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
ExDementia
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
Strap Locks.

Did you even read the post? That's not the problem.

The problem is the placement. It makes the neck dip forward, forcing you to hold it up while on stage. Very annoying.

Last edited by ExDementia : 06-28-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
VanTheKraut
How tough am I?!

I'd make sure I wasn't drilling up too high (know how far youre going to need to drill, based on the length of the screw you're using). Wouldn't wanna go drilling and hit the fret board or neck pup cavity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Old Country. Old Blues. Old Rock. Old Metal. Gangsta Rap.
VanTheKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

You wouldn't be the first to move the lead strap button on an Iceman. It isn't a hard job - just drill the proper hole. But if you are worried, have a good repair tech do it for you. It is a very inexpensive and easy modification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
ExDementia
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
You wouldn't be the first to move the lead strap button on an Iceman. It isn't a hard job - just drill the proper hole. But if you are worried, have a good repair tech do it for you. It is a very inexpensive and easy modification.

I found a good luthier in my area. He quoted me a pretty reasonable price that includes setting up the action and intonation - which I wish I would have known last night because I spent about 2 hours dialing it in, lol.

Maybe it's just because it was a factory second, but this guitar came setup the worst I've ever seen on a high-ish end Ibanez. The action was high, the neck was a tad bowed, and the intonation was off just enough that it took me a while to really figure it out.

Oh well. It plays great now.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
archangelseren

can you post a pic of the new strap button placement?
archangelseren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

If you're going to sell the guitar on later, don't do this. It'll ruin the resale value.

However, if you want to keep it, go right ahead. The only things that you need are a means to measure (so you can get the button right in the middle of thickness of the body), a countersink bit to help guide the drill bit into the guitar so it doesn't slip and destroy the finish, and then finally the drill bit itself. wrap the drill bit in tape up to the length of screw you're going to be using so you don't end up drilling too deep.

Measure up, mark the spot, countersink the hole, drill the hole to depth, fit the button, profit.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 12-10-2012 at 05:58 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
If you're going to sell the guitar on later, don't do this. It'll ruin the resale value.

However, if you want to keep it, go right ahead. The only things that you need are a means to measure (so you can get the button right in the middle of thickness of the body), a countersink bit to help guide the drill bit into the guitar so it doesn't slip and destroy the finish, and then finally the drill bit itself. wrap the drill bit in tape up to the length of screw you're going to be using so you don't end up drilling too deep.

Measure up, mark the spot, countersink the hole, drill the hole to depth, fit the button, profit.

I came here to post exactly this. Seconded.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #12
sk8board3r
Just call me Gary

Just drill a new hole, its only wood. Plug up the old hole and get black paint or nail polish and dab the spot a little, you'll never notice. It's not like its an American PRS or something, no biggie. Also, if I'm not mistaken that's the SG placement of a strap button.
BOSS
Deltalab
Orange
Hughs & Kettner

https://soundcloud.com/gary-vanluling
Check out some of my home stuff !
UX1 & Ez Drummer

(listen to the Ode to Tarantino!)
sk8board3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:11 AM   #13
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE

is good in theory, but i sometimes the tape moves up and you drill deeper. i haven't done it a guitar, but i did on a cabinet when i was younger.

just be careful. or as stated take it in.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: