Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #17501
DamienEx1021
PC Police
 
DamienEx1021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEvilWalrus
Oh sick. Not bad at all. Yeah I realize it's not top of the line but I'm just happy with a decent upgrade right now. Assuming I can get the parents to grab me those for Xmas I might be able to just get a GPU myself. What would you recommend as far as GPUs go for $200 or less?


GTX 760, GTX 670, R9 270X, or R9 280. They all have ROUGHLY the same performance. The AMD cards do much better at 1440p and 4k then the nVidia cards but other than that they are all just about equal.

If you can find a R9 280 for that price point, then take that over the 270X. I don't know off the top of my head if the GTX 760 or the GTX 670 preforms better so I can't tell you which way to go there.
__________________
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
PC police strike again
DamienEx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #17502
DamienEx1021
PC Police
 
DamienEx1021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Completely off topic, but since page 868, I have either been the first or second post every single page (with the exception of page 872.)

I love this thread.
__________________
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
PC police strike again
DamienEx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:44 PM   #17503
AnEvilWalrus
UG's Lone Fern
 
AnEvilWalrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The sunny beaches of Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by behind_you
your gpu isn't that bad

but if you do feel like upgrading and dont know what to do with your old one >.>

yeah it's mostly just being slightly limited by my cpu but regardless I could use a new one

I have my old AMD Radeon something card I'll probably sell when I get a new card but I'll probably keep my 650 Ti as a backup sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienEx1021
GTX 760, GTX 670, R9 270X, or R9 280. They all have ROUGHLY the same performance. The AMD cards do much better at 1440p and 4k then the nVidia cards but other than that they are all just about equal.

If you can find a R9 280 for that price point, then take that over the 270X. I don't know off the top of my head if the GTX 760 or the GTX 670 preforms better so I can't tell you which way to go there.

I've been leaning towards the GTX 760. My main monitor is 1080p and I really don't care about going any higher than that right now so that shouldn't be a problem.
__________________
The truth will cut you down to pieces
184, let's burn it down
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Shackleford.
Glad to see the sex king getting some action I think it might be time for me to pull him out again tonight and take him for a spin around the rift.
AnEvilWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:52 PM   #17504
DamienEx1021
PC Police
 
DamienEx1021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEvilWalrus
I've been leaning towards the GTX 760. My main monitor is 1080p and I really don't care about going any higher than that right now so that shouldn't be a problem.


Well I guess I should let you know the R9 280 beats out the GTX 760 at the end of the day. I just checked a few more benchmarks and well... just trust me. If you can find the R9 280 for $200, get it.
__________________
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
PC police strike again
DamienEx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #17505
AnEvilWalrus
UG's Lone Fern
 
AnEvilWalrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The sunny beaches of Canada
I'll take your word for it. R9 280 it is.
__________________
The truth will cut you down to pieces
184, let's burn it down
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Shackleford.
Glad to see the sex king getting some action I think it might be time for me to pull him out again tonight and take him for a spin around the rift.
AnEvilWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM   #17506
uziyourillusion
cemetary gates
 
uziyourillusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Any ideas on what kind of performance increase we can expect next year from new Intel CPUs? Looking to upgrade asap as my current i7 920 is running into heat issues thanks to my motherboard. 6GB of ram is also starting to hit its limit and open world games like FC4 are really taxing me. I sorta want to jump on the $250 i7 4970k come BF and new mobo/ram deal if I can find one, but I'd hate to upgrade to a platform thats at its end with the new DDR4 and stuff coming sometime mid next year. Will DDR4 and the new intel CPU be an incremental speed increase or can we expect a big jump in performance?
uziyourillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM   #17507
Watterboy
UG's 'Yes, Man'
 
Watterboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienEx1021
I just checked the Newegg prices and this site has them wrong. You will actually go to about $550 based on the price differences. So I would check the other sites individual prices prior to getting excited about this build.

Oddly enough, the price is close to what I ended up with (once you factor in instant savings and mail in rebates.)

RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) 1600mhz DDR3
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A
CPU: FX-6350
HDD: 1Tb 7200RPM 64mb Cache SATA III
CD/DVD: ASUS CD/DVD Burner
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid ATX
PSU: Rosewill 500w PSU
GPU: Sapphire R9 280

Total Price: $724.92
Total with Sale Prices: $583.61
Total After Rebates: $538.61

If you are willing to spend the extra bit, you will reap the benefits. If you can wiggle your way up to $550 in price, we can get you an even better processor too. Let me know what you want to see tweaked and I will make it happen.


Are these parts pretty reliable in terms of functionality? Ive been watching tutorials and what not, but this is my first time doing this. If something is malfunctioning I imagine Im gonna have a tough time troubleshooting whatever the problem is, unless you guys have any pointers. The assembly itself doesnt seem too bad
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabestoner69


Watterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM   #17508
behind_you
(° ل͜ °)
 
behind_you's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by uziyourillusion
Any ideas on what kind of performance increase we can expect next year from new Intel CPUs? Looking to upgrade asap as my current i7 920 is running into heat issues thanks to my motherboard. 6GB of ram is also starting to hit its limit and open world games like FC4 are really taxing me. I sorta want to jump on the $250 i7 4970k come BF and new mobo/ram deal if I can find one, but I'd hate to upgrade to a platform thats at its end with the new DDR4 and stuff coming sometime mid next year. Will DDR4 and the new intel CPU be an incremental speed increase or can we expect a big jump in performance?
X99 is the only intel chipset that can handle DDR4 ram, and its fockin expensive (It already came out)

and its only worth if you're a professional computer something, if you're just gaming the rather negligible speed difference does NOT justify the price jump
__________________
ʕ••ʔ ALL BEARS GO TO HEAVEN ʕ••ʔ


( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )*: sʀɪʜ
behind_you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM   #17509
DamienEx1021
PC Police
 
DamienEx1021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uziyourillusion
Any ideas on what kind of performance increase we can expect next year from new Intel CPUs? Looking to upgrade asap as my current i7 920 is running into heat issues thanks to my motherboard. 6GB of ram is also starting to hit its limit and open world games like FC4 are really taxing me. I sorta want to jump on the $250 i7 4970k come BF and new mobo/ram deal if I can find one, but I'd hate to upgrade to a platform thats at its end with the new DDR4 and stuff coming sometime mid next year. Will DDR4 and the new intel CPU be an incremental speed increase or can we expect a big jump in performance?


This first generation of Intel DDR4 has given us amazing CPU's that show promise in gaming, but nothing that is worth upgrading to. I was originally going to jump the gun on some DDR4 stuff but the more info I came across, the more of a glorified product it appeared to be. As of right now, sticking with high end Intel and AMD is the way to go. You don't but 8gb of 1600mhz RAM for gaming anyway, and that is just about the most you will need for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watterboy
Are these parts pretty reliable in terms of functionality? Ive been watching tutorials and what not, but this is my first time doing this. If something is malfunctioning I imagine Im gonna have a tough time troubleshooting whatever the problem is, unless you guys have any pointers. The assembly itself doesnt seem too bad


I never recommend anyone anything I wouldn't buy myself. Most of the time I am even hesitant to recommend anything that I haven't used personally or at the very least, used many of the manufactures products.

I've always had luck with ASUS, no matter what I got from them. Sapphire is the EVGA of AMD GPU's. I've used three Rosewill power supplies and all of them have worked great. I use to like Corsair RAM but then I found G.Skill. G.Skill overclocks better and provides identical performance to Corsair, often times for much cheaper. Cooler Master has amazing cases and their best line are the HAF 900 series cases. Unfortunately we had to cut prices somewhere in your build and the case was the first thing to be axed.
__________________
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
PC police strike again
DamienEx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM   #17510
Watterboy
UG's 'Yes, Man'
 
Watterboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008


thanks man- i appreciate all the help. Same with you, Behind You. Ill post some pictures if/when i get everything and if i succeszfully complete the build
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabestoner69


Watterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #17511
Confuse-a-Cat
The Jackson Guy
 
Confuse-a-Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Leicestershire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienEx1021
Completely off topic, but since page 868, I have either been the first or second post every single page (with the exception of page 872.)

I love this thread.


I reckon I would post in here a more often, but every time I see somebody has asked a question, chances are you've already answered it! Marvellous thread.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Watterboy
thanks man- i appreciate all the help. Same with you, Behind You. Ill post some pictures if/when i get everything and if i succeszfully complete the build


We'll look forward to seeing them.

Not that you need another endorsement, but that selection of parts will do you really well, should be a solid machine that'll last a good while. I'd have put together a similar looking list if those guys hadn't beat me to it.
Confuse-a-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #17512
DamienEx1021
PC Police
 
DamienEx1021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuse-a-Cat
I reckon I would post in here a more often, but every time I see somebody has asked a question, chances are you've already answered it! Marvellous thread.

We'll look forward to seeing them.

Not that you need another endorsement, but that selection of parts will do you really well, should be a solid machine that'll last a good while. I'd have put together a similar looking list if those guys hadn't beat me to it.


You know, it is nice to have someone else come in and say "Hey, that guy has an awesome list put together for you." Not only will the question be answered twice, but there is confirmation that I am not talking out of my ass

..... that and it helps me with my insecurities.
__________________
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
PC police strike again
DamienEx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM   #17513
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.
 
captaincrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienEx1021
You know, it is nice to have someone else come in and say "Hey, that guy has an awesome list put together for you." Not only will the question be answered twice, but there is confirmation that I am not talking out of my ass

..... that and it helps me with my insecurities.

and it bumps the thread
__________________
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM   #17514
awp28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Hello fellow UGers,

I would like to request your advice/recommendations for a new computer...I'm looking to buy a new computer dedicated strictly for audio production (recording, mixing, etc.). I've been out of the technology loop for a few years and consequently haven't kept up with recent trends (quad cores, etc.) since I was holed up away at school, but now that I'm out in the real world and have some money coming in I want to get back into music production stuff ASAP!

At first I was thinking about buying a laptop for the portability (among other things for recording remotely away from my in-progress home studio), but increasingly I've been entertaining the idea of getting a desktop since it seems that for the same price point you can buy a more robust piece of gear (this may be an antiquated generalization, however...do please correct me if I'm wrong here! ).

Basically, I'm not looking for bells and whistles such as killer graphics, etc., all I really want is a machine with a lot of computing/processing power to run the applications such as the DAW (Pro Tools 10 in my case), plugins, etc. fairly smoothly. I bought a laptop for this purpose a couple of years ago, but it really wasn't up to snuff for running large sessions in Pro Tools and whatnot, so it ended up becoming/devolving into my all-purpose personal computer and has continued to fulfill this role into the present.

My budget is roughly 500-1500 USD (ideally 700-1000, though I'm aware that you get what you pay for!). I'm partial to Windows PC's since they are generally cheaper for the same/comparable specs than Macs, and I've grown up on the Windows OS/platform for better or worse. If you can't recommend a specific computer, model, etc. I would still appreciate advice in terms of general specs (processor type, RAM, etc.) for the aforementioned goals and/or your anecdotal experience with your current home studio setup. Thanks in advance!

(Note: I originally posted this as a separate thread in the Pit and was quickly directed here...definitely a n00b mistake! :P)

Last edited by awp28 : Yesterday at 09:28 PM.
awp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #17515
DamienEx1021
PC Police
 
DamienEx1021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp28
I've been entertaining the idea of getting a desktop since it seems that for the same price point you can buy a more robust piece of gear (this may be an antiquated generalization, however...do please correct me if I'm wrong here!


Still true now. If you want a lap top, we can build you a desk top that is as powerful and half the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp28
My budget is roughly 500-1500 USD (ideally 700-1000, though I'm aware that you get what you pay for!).


Sir with that kind of budget, we could build you a semi-high end gaming machine. You will have no problem getting a wonderful piece of hardware for all your recording needs.

So first thing is first, laptop or desktop? You already know the benefits of each, but that is your call to make, not ours. You make that decision and we can move on.
__________________
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
PC police strike again
DamienEx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM   #17516
awp28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
DamienEx1021 Thanks a lot for your response! I've been glued to my monitor for the past hour or so trying to read up on what's out there...I feel like a dinosaur now getting back into it, but I guess better late than never!

I'm starting to lean heavily towards desktop at this point; let's just fix that design choice for the sake of argument.

Here's what I've gathered so far (please recommend/correct away, computer pros!):
- sounds like a solid-state drive will be ideal, at least for loading the OS and perhaps as "workspace" drive, maybe complemented by a large-sized traditional 7200 rpm HDD for long-term storage (e.g., completed projects, etc.)
- still not sure about the processor, seems like quad-core should work and looks like there have been some pretty impressive leaps in this area (among others) since I've last looked at a computer spec sheet (won't mention how long ago that was so as to spare my own dignity)
- RAM is another contentious point...seems like 8-16 GB should work??

I think a bigger piece of the puzzle I lack the insight to address is how it all fits together...I'm vaguely aware that matching up the right specs can be more important than single components in and of themselves (e.g., getting a lot of RAM that is ultimately underutilized with other poorly selected "bottlenecks").

Also, I should probably provide more elaborate desired performance specs, as "audio production" is a rather nebulous description. Overall, I'm thinking something in the ballpark of running ProTools smoothly with 30-50 tracks together with plugins, virtual instruments, etc., possibly going up to 100 tracks or so with perhaps less plugins (the latter being a less practical and more overkill/stress-test case). As always, your help is much appreciated!

Last edited by awp28 : Yesterday at 10:40 PM.
awp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM   #17517
DamienEx1021
PC Police
 
DamienEx1021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Few more questions then I can show you a build.

-How many plug-ins do you think you would be running?
-How much TOTAL storage space will you need?
-How many monitors will you run?
-Do you need USB or Firewire ports and if so how many?
-Do you have any add on cards you need ports for (PCI or PCI-e)?
-Do you have wired or wireless internet connection?
-Do you have a particular case color preference, lights, no lights, don't care, etc?
-Would you be doing any gaming, even light gaming, on this machine? (This will dictate how much cash we need to put into a GPU)

Answer these and I can have a build for you in no time at all.
__________________
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
PC police strike again
DamienEx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM   #17518
awp28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienEx1021
Few more questions then I can show you a build.

-How many plug-ins do you think you would be running?
-How much TOTAL storage space will you need?
-How many monitors will you run?
-Do you need USB or Firewire ports and if so how many?
-Do you have any add on cards you need ports for (PCI or PCI-e)?
-Do you have wired or wireless internet connection?
-Do you have a particular case color preference, lights, no lights, don't care, etc?
-Would you be doing any gaming, even light gaming, on this machine? (This will dictate how much cash we need to put into a GPU)

Answer these and I can have a build for you in no time at all.


Here is a line-item rundown...
- plugins: roughly speaking, I'll guess around 2 plugins on average per DAW mixing track/channel, so up to around 80+/-20 or so plugins running at a time in the background requiring varying degrees of computing power (geesh just doing this quick n' dirty calculation made me realize why my laptop couldn't hang )

- total storage: I'm thinking 1-2 TB TOTAL should be plenty...that's why I'm leaning towards a smaller-ish SSD "workspace" perhaps complemented by a larger HDD to make up the difference (I also have a couple of extra external hard drives for longer term storage). As a matter of fact, taking the external storage drives into account (or purchasing extras down the road if necessary), I'd be willing to sacrifice total on-board storage to leave more room in the budget for higher performance either in the processing, or even to be able to incorporate the SSD in the first place and then maybe just skimp on the extra internal HDD or just forgo it altogether

- monitors: not likely more than two, if even that...the two spares I have currently available are both (now) old-school flatscreen 15-pin VGAs, which should do the trick for my purposes

- ports: I will be relying primarily on USB ports for my audio interfaces, and really have no need for firewire; I think 4-8 USB ports should be plenty (including tucked away in the back of the tower)...I may be a little premature with this venture ahead of the widespread proliferation of thunderbolt and other forthcoming next-gen ports, but I don't have any devices for these anyways and with technology I already know going in that I'll be behind the times within months as soon as I buy something, which I already accept as a fact of life (fortunately, this most likely won't affect my home studio aspirations in the near long term)

- add-ons: I have an old PCI audio interface card with breakout cables (m-audio delta 1010lt) that I wouldn't mind trying on this hypothetical machine, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker to exclude it...otherwise, I have no need for PCIs or PCI-e's, though I would consider including either and/or both if it didn't contribute a large variable cost for a potential future use (these are obviously faster than USB considering they're wired in directly to the board)

- internet: I'm currently running everything wirelessly, though these days I'm guessing CAT-5 ethernet cards are practically free

- case color: absolutely no preference (though neutral/primary colors such as black, blue, etc. are preferred to say pink or purple); also, no need for an epileptic-seizure-inducing laser show every time I fire the thing up...a single-color rectangular box of sheet metal and/or plastic should suffice!

- GPU/other uses: I'm planning to get this thing STRICTLY for the audio production stuff, and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE!!! I have my trusted laptop to (ab)use for all other purposes! (I would like to be connected the internet, however, for uploading tracks, referencing info, etc.); also willing to sacrifice graphics to contribute a larger proportion of the budget towards pimping out the other specs such as memory, processing power, etc.

Sorry for the novels! Looking forward to what you can turn up...thanks again for your help!!!

Last edited by awp28 : Today at 12:39 AM.
awp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:37 AM   #17519
behind_you
(° ل͜ °)
 
behind_you's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp28
- GPU/other uses: I'm planning to get this thing STRICTLY for the audio production stuff, and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE!!! I have my trusted laptop to (ab)use for all other purposes! (I would like to be connected the internet, however, for uploading tracks, referencing info, etc.); also willing to sacrifice graphics to contribute a larger proportion of the budget towards pimping out the other specs such as memory, processing power, etc.
pro tools 10/11 'highly recommends' a dedicated gpu for whatever reason, so I think you should still get one
__________________
ʕ••ʔ ALL BEARS GO TO HEAVEN ʕ••ʔ


( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )*: sʀɪʜ
behind_you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:43 AM   #17520
awp28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by behind_you
pro tools 10/11 'highly recommends' a dedicated gpu for whatever reason, so I think you should still get one


point well taken...I guess I'm not opposed to including a reasonably good gpu, but I definitely don't need something high-end in this department akin to what a FPSlvr6969 would require
awp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:57 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.