Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
Sliide90027

Lukather on the Biz

This is an excerpt on the Music Biz purportedly from Steve Lukather in May of 2012 on the discussion of the means of which Musicians are paid for their work.

and I begin here...

"Have you done the breakdown on what an artist get PER tune on iTunes? Pitiful.
Now IF you are with a label its even worse cause they take a huge share of that. The breakdown after all is said and done for most it's pennies.
TOO many people can make records. Period. No catalog artists are made these days. One hit wonders galore. Sad really.

Now rec. co's don't give budgets like the old days when the great records were made cause they cost MONEY!! They want to make money for nothing and own you for life and a piece of EVERYTHING an artist does. You can sell a million and still OWE them!
My 25 year old son has buddies who have platinum records living in a one room studio apt! Broke.

Of course back 'then' rec. companies cared about MUSIC and nurturing artists for a LONG term career and long term money.
Sure they got the Lions share but then they invested, believed and promoted it so there was SOME justification.

Now its ' Beats' and how many facebook hits or Youtube hits you get .. ALL which either make NO money or short term dog-shit money with no real way to account for it and truly suck for the most part.
What the **** ? People want to be famous NOT good!

It is TOO easy to play 'pretend pop star' now. With all the fakery and auto tune-time correction -cut and paste etc.. **** most young people don't know how to play a song from top to bottom in a studio in tune and in time and with feeling?? Rare.
I am in the studios all the time and hear the stories from the producers and engineers.. and yet NO ONE cares that ' so and so' who sold a shit load of records ( how much IS that these days? ) cant sing or play.
They make 'McRecords' for people who don't even really listen. It's background music for people to either find a mate or shake their heads while texting or skyping or doing other things.
Environmental noise for the multi-tasker.

Gone are the days of loving , dissecting, discussing the inner workings of 'AN ALBUM"... sitting in silence while it plays.. looking at the liner notes and the few photo's IN the studio .. imagining what a magic place it music be to make such music...
Gone.
You need a ****ing jewelers eye to read the credits IF one even cares. Most don't.

So if you keep blaming the 'old antiquated artists' who are the only REAL ones left.. who MAY make a great record once in awhile but may be overlooked cause the media chooses to care more about who is super gluing meat to their bodies and other ridiculous HYPE and bullshit to get attention rather than LISTENING hard to the music being made we might be in a different place.
When we were kids ( yes I will be 108 this year) there were only a handful or artists and they WERE great cause they HAD to be.
You could choose not to like some but outside the teenage fodder most deserved their success and NO ONE sounded alike ! No one!

We live in a McWorld that moves way too fast and now even the drugs suck. I mean when I was young and got high I never got naked foaming at the mouth and tried to eat someone's face off.

Time to put on Dark Side of the Moon and chill.
Have a nice day and may real music come back and fill our ears. ( there IS some great stuff but you know what I mean ..)
REAL music played by REAL musicians.
They ARE out there. They just don't get a lot of press anymore, or at all.

Luke
(Steve Lukather)

...end

Inspiration is the only road to actual satisfaction.

Pursue it.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

It's things like this that make me want to start a label and do things the right way. But with so much corruption around and so many big labels swallowing everything else up it certainly wouldn't be easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
GAPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
J3G2

That's a good read. My band and I are recording bass and guitar tracks tomorrow in some crappy freezing rehearsal studio. We're taking our rigs down there and recording "DIY" style. Got all the equipment we need between us and this post is pretty damn motivating!

There'll be nobody to butt in with their opinions and we'll do it our way, which was the plan all along. Don't care what other people think about our tunes cause we don't owe anybody jack shit!

We've got a good little community, as far as bands go in the local area and we help each other out with gigs. All the "pop music artists" around here just get shunned and the only chance they've got of making it big is through bullshit like the X factor and britains got talent(yeah right, more like Britain HAD talent). Our part of London has musical history and that means a hell of a lot more than the 10 minutes of fame that everybody else wants these days.

Keep it real guys and do what YOU want to do, not what you're expected to do.

Cheers for that post Sliide!
J3G2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Sliide90027

J3G2,

Thanks!

I just really posted it for the eating someone's face line.

Kind of makes Facebook look differently.

It's not a Social Networking Site! It's a Menu! Really!

I thought that this had some stand alone relevance, in light of what I learned from the Fender Thread that was closed and then re-opened. It was really depressing to me (is that all there is?) and explains why I was run off the other chat site.

I will take your words as an encouragement to not just stop coming here.

Still I cannot shake this feeling I have gotten from the other exchange that:

The average IQ's of Human Beings is 100 or less in 75% of the Population.

55% of Bassists play the same brand and design that has been around for 50-60 years.

In my efforts to be optimistic I was wondering if that meat that Basssists are 20% smarter than 75% of the Population?

Steve reveals his annoyance that music now is COMPLETELY about Popularity and Mediocrity (like Salieri) and not Talent (Mozart).

What is to endure if talent does not get out and is not performed?

It is like we have to hunt down the producers of the 60's to the 80's that have been driven out of view and get them to do our projects to re-inject their Ear and Magic Touch that pulls the hearts of people. Or do we all have to face the specter of irrelevancy of actual music in the face of Glorified Kareoke Competitions? That is vanity.

Fame is so fickle and fleeting. I was in Life magazine, National Commercials when there were only 3 networks...It means nothing and does not pay the bills. It is self-delusion.

I just want to play something for people that they get into, to have that synergy of the performance.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #5
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Luke is a wise man who knows the ins and outs of the business. Sadly, the entire music business is in a state of chaos. Here in La La Land, even the old hands have no idea how this mess is going to resolve itself. No one knows how the business will turn out. As the Chinese say, we are "living in interesting times." I wonder how the industry will emerge from the current mess? Stay tuned, denizens of the Low End. It is likely to be a wild and bumpy ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
QPC_Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliide90027
Steve reveals his annoyance that music now is COMPLETELY about Popularity and Mediocrity (like Salieri) and not Talent (Mozart).

No it isn't. The music businesses might spend most of their effort on cheap to mass-produce stuff that is easy to market. Because they're a business.

But there is plenty of great music being made out there, and it's not tough to find. You do have to do a bit of looking because, as Lukather says, they don't get the most press. They get some, though.

Might not be to your taste, but NPR's tiny desk concerts have a wide range of styles showcased and I often find people there I've never heard of before. Take this guy:

http://www.npr.org/event/music/1601...ny-desk-concert

There'll be a blog out there for every kind of music which will give you links to bands. Half of whom you won't like, but some of whom you'll think are great. Be satisfied you found them, tell the people you think might be interested and don't be upset that they aren't number one every other month.

Rate This Thread: