Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #261
Geldin

Pretty much. Their early material sucked ass, but their most recent record is solid, if unexceptional, deathcore.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #262
slayer_rule_\m/
Poo....AND wee \m/

JFAC were alriiiiight when I saw them. I like most of their stuff...even doom
But yeah this is The Ocean thread not the JFAC thread so I shall ask my Ocean related question...So I'm a fan of the big sound they had in songs like The Origin of Species/Origin of god, can anyone recommend any of their earlier (or later?) material in the same vein as said songs?

Thank you kindly gentlemen.
slayer_rule_\m/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #263
Geldin

Basically, Pelagial is the logical evolution of what they were going for on Heliocentric. I can't think of any songs they've done that are structurally similar to Origin of species/Origin of god, but as far as "big sound", Pelagial has you covered.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #264
ruker
the iconflict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer_rule_\m/
So I'm a fan of the big sound they had in songs like The Origin of Species/Origin of god, can anyone recommend any of their earlier (or later?) material in the same vein as said songs?

Thank you kindly gentlemen.

Not sure about same vein, but the first earlier song with a big sound possibly similar to the Origins I thought of, was The Greatest Bane...

ruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #265
ManInTheBox14
In lesbians with you

JFAC were tolerable when I caught their set on Summer Slaughter last year, but the only good part of that 2011 show was when they and The Ocean guys ran on stage and danced around during the bluegrass part of "Ants of the Sky."

I'm finally listening to Pelagial for the first time, and imo it's pretty good. There are parts of it I'm really liking, and the only thing occasionally bothering me is that Loic kinda sounds like Maynard a lot at some points and I've never been a big Tool fan at all. Still, it's miles better than Heliocentric and I'll probably wind up liking it more in the long run than Precambrian.

I'm dying.
-Is it blissful?
It's like a dream.
-I want to dream.

Blog I Write For

Last edited by ManInTheBox14 : 05-07-2013 at 08:00 PM.
ManInTheBox14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:54 AM   #266
The Virtuoso
L'…tranger

Listening to Pelagial right now because my friends and I have a game going on right now where we recommend each other albums and then comment on them in detail.

I've never listened to this band before, and I'm not to familiar with the genre (I've listened to some Cult of Luna and Neurosis, but nothing substantial).

I am enjoying the new album so far. Does that rustle anyone's jimmies?

Edit: I think it's funny that Duncan mentioned a connection to BTBAM in his review, because one of my other friends involved recommended Alaska (I've never listened to BTBAM either), but I still don't hear the connection too well, obviously because I am not familiar with either of the bands.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.

Last edited by The Virtuoso : 07-31-2013 at 03:02 AM.
The Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #267
las7
Me Shuggah!

Location: Where Parabol and Parabola meet is where Iam currently living
I don't know it's fairly obvious that there are some elements taken from other bands but it's difficult to say which ones, the one band I find similar is Burst specially on Origo and Lazarus Bird. There were some songs on Pelagial which sounded a bit like Mastodon while others were more giving a different vibe altogether. Even though the Ocean tends to place different elements in their albums I still feel they sound pretty unique and I personally enjoy most of their newer albums and I don't like Aeolian while I've listened to Precambrian so much that it has worn out.

Burst has always been a favorite of mine

Last edited by las7 : 08-01-2013 at 11:16 AM.
las7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #268
The Virtuoso
L'…tranger

I saw The Ocean live in a warehouse last night. They played for like 50 people, and the entrance fee was $5. They sounded great live, and the band members were really cool. I definitely recommend seeing them live if you get the chance.

The singer kept climbing up onto the speaker stacks and crowd diving while singing/screaming; it was awesome.

Edit:

Live set from The Ocean El Paso. Great stuff if you like the band.

Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.

Last edited by The Virtuoso : 03-21-2014 at 02:15 PM.
The Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: