Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
GypsyJen

Pinch Harmonics...HELP!!

I have been trying and trying and trying to play pinch harmonics, and for whatever reason I am just not getting it, so I checked out some youtube videos and found a lesson where instead of pinching the string between thumb and pick, you pinch between pick and ring finger...I have managed to get a few squeels...sorta..by doing this. My question is, should I continue to try this method, or go back to trying the correct way. I am concerned about learning it wrong, and then it limiting what I am able to do with it (if that makes sense)
GypsyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
sw4l

I did it by trying over and over again and every note changes the scale length so the pinched harmonic is in a different spot depending on the note your trying to pinch. You just gotta try it out to get it is what I did. I play chocked up on my pick a lot and when I play a pinch I just kinda follow through my picking motion with my hand. Idk if that helps but it helped me.
sw4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
GypsyJen

Thanks, I will give that a shot. I guess the problem might not be how I am pinching but where I am pinching...
GypsyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #4
winterXsolstice

You've gotta try didn't spots on the string, do it over and over till you get it then look for another spot t to try.
winterXsolstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
supersac

choke up on the pick

also where the nodes of the pinch harmoic is why alot of the time th eharmonic doesnt ring out well it takes practice to find it

also its easier to hear them if youre using the bridge pick up

if oyu can get a picnh to come out on an acoustic guitar you can get them anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

choking up on the pick over and over...eventually it becomes second nature. eventually you can get to the point where you can do them decent when ever you want. Also i'd be sure to make sure your thumb nail is trimmed because for me that will get in the way of the Pinched Harmonics.
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #7
paparoachfan17

Also if you haven't noticed/been told, it is harder to do a pinch hamonic on the lower strings than the higher ones. I find its easiest on the G string so start with that one and once you get the technique down on that one try different strings
paparoachfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

im the opposite, i can do pinched easier on the wound strings...to me i have more room to pinch, but im sure its not the same for everyone...i dunno...
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #9
steven seagull
not really a seagull

How long have you been playing and how good are your general picking skills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
WeZ-84

When I was looking into learning Pinch Harmonics, I found this Youtube vid pretty useful:
WeZ-84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
sw4l

also if you get choking up on the pick down while normally playing it will also help with muting strings above the string your trying to play later on.
sw4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Pinch harmonics aren't one of those techniques where suddenly the pin drops and you realize hey that wasn't so hard..

The "sweet spot" is different for EVERY single pinch harmonic and it is a very very slowly developing technique.
You wont be able to flawlessly pull off pinch harmonics suddenly one day. Sorry to say bro.
I learnt pinch harmonics about 4 years ago and i still don't nail them every time. I feel like everyone is the same with pinch harmonics. You will never be able to pull them off flawlessly whenever you want. It will take you many years.

Don't cheat yourself and try some other weird technique. I remember learning pinch harmonics very very well. It took me about 2-3 weeks of 5-15minute practice every day before i could play just one perfect pinch harmonic.

As i was saying about every pinch harmonic having a different spot, they can also have 2-3 and each spot gives a very distinct and different sounding pinch harmonic. Someone else playing a harmonic on the 12th fret D string could be a much different harmonic than someone else for that reason.

This is how i feel and I'm sure others will agree. Don't try rush yourself and don't get into thinking as soon as you understand how the technique works you'll be able to do them whenever you want. It doesn't work like that. You WILL fail more than you will succeed. It works the same for everyone and you wont be any different. I wont discourage you from practicing the technique of course but i think your expectations (and everyone who initially learns the technique) are too high.

Sorry for the cynicism but that's the honest truth.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112

Last edited by vayne92 : 05-10-2013 at 11:30 AM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: