Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
NapalmBreakfast

Exclamation What are some good tips for writing choruses?

Generally, I'm fine writing verses and pre-choruses but when it comes to the chorus, I find it more difficult to write it without sounding pretentious. Maynard James Keenan and Jim Morrison can be my biggest influences in lyric-writing. Hence, what are some good tips for writing choruses?

I'm a drummer and I need my guitarist! See profile.
NapalmBreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
seventh_angel
So-Called New-Age(d) Poet

Moving this to S+L Techniques. Cheers !
seventh_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
NapalmBreakfast

Needed to bump.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
KidCanary

Well the chorus is generally intended to sum up and bring together the elements of the verses, so you need to find what your verses are about and go from there.

There's no reason why your writing should be any more pretentious for choruses than it is for verses.
KidCanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #5
FistOfMichallin

Choruses are something that, if good, can't be explained as to why they are.

In other words, sing in the shower. Stop thinking about a chorus, and let it come out of you. Catchy shit always comes up when i'm taking cold showers.
FistOfMichallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
ladiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistOfMichallin
In other words, sing in the shower. Stop thinking about a chorus, and let it come out of you. Catchy shit always comes up when i'm taking cold showers.

That's an interesting tip! could hot shower give the same result?
ladiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
NapalmBreakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCanary
There's no reason why your writing should be any more pretentious for choruses than it is for verses.

I meant repetitive, not pretentious. Sorry

Old 06-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
Of_Wolves
Silver Satellite Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCanary

Well said. Many artists even use "completely unrelated" stanzas in each chorus section. That's something to play with too.

I've found the catchiest choruses I've written come from thinking about the melody first. I'm of the opinion that the tune the mind goes to first is probably the best (with obvious exceptions). From then on its just a case of locking in the words.

As for catchy turns of phrase in a chorus stanza, I like to play with different flows and ways of rhyming, staying away from end rhymes if I can at all help it. At some point you'll happen upon something that flows just right.

... but then again I don't feel like I've gotten this down yet myself. I'm horrible at writing catchy melody. Everything else I'm fine with, more or less.
Of_Wolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
kthxbi
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of_Wolves
As for catchy turns of phrase in a chorus stanza, I like to play with different flows and ways of rhyming, staying away from end rhymes if I can at all help it. At some point you'll happen upon something that flows just right.

this is interesting --- i've always aimed for the chorus to be the simpler of the two, and this extends to rhyming scheme. obviously there's no 'right' or 'wrong' way of doing it and i myself am veeeery much still learning.

i guess the point i'm making is that you're going to find as many people disagreeing as agreeing. it's not a science.

FREE SKATERSKAGG1 AND CORYKLOK
kthxbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
FistOfMichallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladiva
That's an interesting tip! could hot shower give the same result?

Hot showers put me to sleep.

Cold showers stimulate my brain. If you jump into a pool of ice cold water, you act on instinct. You apply this idea to getting ideas in a cold shower and it makes sense -- at least -- to me.
FistOfMichallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
Em J

I'm a lyricist myself. I tend to write whatever comes out of my head - simple. Sometimes, I don't have choruses - I just have a lot of verses. Or sometimes they're not in complete stanzas, but just little bits. If I do use choruses, sometimes they're the same, sometimes I've altered a line or two - depends on what I wanted to write at the time.
Em J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
A. Beck

I am certainly not an expert but here are a few cents from me...

(Edit: apologies if you where only looking for lyrics advice, although my reply is more related to song writing specfically, point number two, or both, might give some ideas. I think for the chorus in particular keeping it simple is always good so maybe be sparing in the amount of lyrics you use there. I find that works for me often as it can often be more "catchy" and can free you up to play around with melody.)

1. A VERY easy and (maybe too) simple trick used in songs with a more simple structure is to "invert" the verse. So for example if you're verse is alternating between C and F (I and IV), when you get to the chorus stay on the F and play F to C instead. It is essentially a key change but it is a simple trick, used often, that can lead to some very powerful melodies and ideas, that might lead to more ideas....

2. The Chorus is often the theme of the song both in content and in theory, you often get that feeling of it all coming home or coming together at the chorus which is why it often feels so satisfying. In these instances you are often returning to basics of the key you are in; so for a simple example in the key of C again ending the chorus with a C will normally give that feeling of coming home and unifying the song.

All the best with your writing, maybe post some on here for some feedback....

Last edited by A. Beck : 08-19-2013 at 08:23 PM.
A. Beck is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: