Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Electric Guitar Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-29-2002, 05:43 AM   #1
power freak
Counting to infinity...

Upto Floyd Freaks

Hi evry1
Yesturday I bought a S/H Rg550
it rocks but Im having problems with the floyd this is my first guitar with a floyd and I cant tune it.
do u have to undo the nut tune then tighten the nut at evry tuning??? co I have snapped 2 sets of strings and it is pissing me off now. I think it was because I left the nut tite but I just making sure.
Cheers
Old 09-29-2002, 06:18 AM   #2
beatallica_fan
UG fluffly club member #5

Im not sure because i dont own a floyd rose guitar, i did teach someone for a while while, i always tuned that for him by undoing the nut, getting the strings in tune as best i could, locking the nut, and then using the fine tuners on the bridge for any further adjustments needed.
Member #5 of UGs fluffly club, and proud of it

Our mission - to be warmer and fuzzier than any other club

http://beatallica.dmusic.com/
Old 09-29-2002, 07:15 AM   #3
Mr Vile

Location: Where the sheeps flow like fresh Snowdon mineral water
what I do, is tune the high E and low E to the correct pitch, then work my way on string at time, constantly checking and re tuning the E strings to the correct pitch as I go, and that usually keeps the strings nice
Old 09-29-2002, 03:56 PM   #4
dmal
Fluffy Club 7

Tuning a Floyd Rose is a combination of what Beat and Vile are telling you.

Start by tuning in as close as possible at the headstock, working from low E to high E. Repeat this step as necessary until the tuning is exact. The reason you will have to repeat the process several times is because there is a system of springs in the back of the guitar that helps the bridge to float. So when you tune one string, subsequently the others will go out slightly.

When you get the tuning correct, tighten down the locks on the headstock. Then retune using the fine tuners. You will find that tightening down the locks has caused the guitar to go out slightly. Tune with the fine tuners the same as you would with the tuners on the headstock. Work from low E to high E and rep-eat as necessary.

Some hints to keep your Floyd Rose and strings in good shape:
Stretch your strings. This will keep you from tuning as much. Basic concept for any guitar, Floyd Rose or not.
Be sure to get as close as possible when tuning with the headstock. The more you use the fine tuners, the more likely it will be that a string will break at the bridge.
Keep the fine tuners as close to center as possible. Otherwise, you will find yourself unlocking and retuning at the headstock.
Change one string at a time. If you don't, your springs will go out and will need to be reset.

Remember, everything you so will effect something else when it comes to a Floyd Rose. Because the bridge is balanced between the tension of the springs and the tension of the strings, if you reset your action, intonation, or change the gauge of strings you are using, you will need to reset the other properties of your bridge. For example, when you reset the action, check the intonation. If you change to a heavier string, you will need to reset the springs in the back of the guitar. Just keep these things in mind.

Answers to your questions
Old 09-29-2002, 04:04 PM   #5
Jaguar_5
UG Newbie

Ugh... i have come to hate the floyd rose, i own a RG220B, and had the saaame problem... Let me tell you this from experience, never try to adjust the action, i did, with success, but it did take about... oh, 5 hours? Oh and same thing with using a different tuning, dont bother.

Floyd Rose is evil (the ibanez licensed version at least)

So yeah for a summary of what everyone said, loosen the locking nuts, back out the fine tuners to about centered, start tuning the low E, then what i like to do is tune alternating strings, it seems to go faster at balancing the bridge and tuning. I.E.: Tune Low E, D, B, then A, G, High E, keep doing it til your close, and dont forget when you tighten the locking nuts, its gonna displace your strings a bit! (stretching the strings and messing around with the whammy should take care of it though, then fine tune)
Old 09-29-2002, 04:05 PM   #6
Jaguar_5
UG Newbie

And another thing, when replacing all your strings, do it 1 at a time, and try to always stick with the same guage strings, if you switch, itll take a long time to re-balance the bridge springs.
Old 09-29-2002, 05:14 PM   #7
MadMax1786
Worship the god MENG!

man...all of this is making me scared of ever buying a floyd rose/tremolo thingamabob. is it worth going all that trouble? thank god for my fixed bridge.....
Marshall AVT50 amp (at home)
Marshall MG10CD practice amp (dorm)
Old 09-29-2002, 11:00 PM   #8
dmal
Fluffy Club 7

Quote:
Originally posted by MadMax1786
man...all of this is making me scared of ever buying a floyd rose/tremolo thingamabob. is it worth going all that trouble? thank god for my fixed bridge.....

yes....it is worth it.
wouldn't trade mine in.

Old 09-30-2002, 12:01 AM   #9
wickedfingers
Raving Lunatic

Location: have you ever noticed that dogs are always in the push up position?
Quote:
Originally posted by dmal

yes....it is worth it.
wouldn't trade mine in.

I agree....they can be a huge pain in the ass, but it is worth every ache....I love mine...
Old 09-30-2002, 07:25 PM   #10
whatson
Don Whatson

Quote:
Originally posted by dmal

yes....it is worth it.
wouldn't trade mine in.

Neither would I.
Really, it becomes no problem in the end, after a bit of practice things become so easy! De-tuning the thing really isn't even that hard. You just need the know-how, and most people who own em can give it to you.
UG Official night crew member #3
Old 10-01-2002, 03:07 AM   #11
Jaguar_5
UG Newbie

I agree with you whatson, but ive never learned the trick on detuning, care to shed some light? =)
Old 10-01-2002, 11:30 AM   #12
power freak
Counting to infinity...

Cheers guys the problem was the neck was bent.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:27 PM   #13
dmal
Fluffy Club 7

Quote:
Originally posted by power freak
Cheers guys the problem was the neck was bent.

cheers on a bent neck????
okay....if you say so.

Rate This Thread: