Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Hardcore
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 04-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #381
InstantAXonHero
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
I can't believe this is still going on.
__________________
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
InstantAXonHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #382
Nietsche
Registered Hoover
 
Join Date: May 2009
Dunno if it's already been mentioned, but when the 'what counts as metalcore' topic has come up in the past on metal archives, it was mentioned that the earliest use of the term metalcore was to describe crossover thrash bands. Couldn't find any actual sources, apart from one line in the wiki article on crossover, but considering that swapping out the 'hard' in hardcore for 'metal' isn't the most imaginative of portmanteau's it wouldn't surprise me if there was some ancient zine's lying around in someone's attic somewhere which described DRI or Cro-Mags as metalcore bands. It is a fact that 'Deathcore' goes back as far as '87 after all.

No idea if you guys would consider any crossover bands to genuinely have one foot in hardcore. But you at least can't deny that Cro-Mags would make any sensible person want to mosh like there's no tomorrow.
__________________
.
Nietsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #383
asator
whatever
 
asator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
Shoegaze-core would be hilarious.

__________________
My name is Danny. Call me that.
asator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #384
datskramzkid
HxC Sun God
 
datskramzkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookpizza
Why aren't any of the real regs (the guys that post) in the hardcore forum, people that actually listen to hardcore (know what they're talking about)? I swear there is no voice of reason anymore (Danny, Nash, Joey, I'm looking at you (there's too much Stephen and Andrew)).

Ugh

Good dude, but Mike, why don't you contribute instead of sitting there bitching about who is and who isn't?
__________________
Shotty you're a ten, I wait for your drunk dials at 2:30 AM
datskramzkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #385
blake1221
‭‭
 
blake1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Probably because they saw that the thread was about Metalcore and decided to keep their distance.


I'm pretty sure we all listen to both genres since they're pretty fucking related to each other.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #386
Geldin
Registered User
 
Geldin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
^
Not a bad guess.

[GELDIT]
Now to contribute something actually useful to this discussion:

I'm all for calling any crossover of metal and hardcore "metalcore", regardless of if it's hardcore with metal influence or metal with hardcore influence. Where the problem begins is when you see bands like Trivium and Bullet for My Valentine get labelled as metalcore. God forbid you call stuff like BVB or Asking Alexandria "metalcore".

I think a lot of the confusion is that a bunch of elitist metalheads started labeling anything they didn't particularly like as metalcore even when there was no evidence of metal influence. This trend appears to have gone to the extreme in which any kind of poppy metal is called "metalcore" by elitist metalheads even when said bands are really just watered down radio rock with screaming vocals and breakdowns. I've seen BVB, Asking Alexandria, and Five Finger Death Punch all labeled as metalcore by metal forums and websites. It's kind of adorable.
__________________
I have an album. Listen to it.
The Sleeping Fury

The album is streaming here

Last edited by Geldin : 04-22-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #387
lookpizza
Party Hard
 
lookpizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by datskramzkid
Ugh

Good dude, but Mike, why don't you contribute instead of sitting there bitching about who is and who isn't?

I did and have been contributing. No one listens to what I have to say (including you apparently). The questions in this thread have been answered and dumb people just don't read.
__________________
I'm an asshole.

Last edited by lookpizza : 04-22-2012 at 01:54 PM.
lookpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #388
synestershadows
UG's Misery Signals Fan
 
synestershadows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by asator

I actually liked that. Am I alone in this one?
__________________
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimebagLivesOn
Well you're wrong and stupid and I don't like you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nashawa
You know who's a good troll? Me. Because I'm secretly in love with Pandy.
synestershadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #389
technicolour
Banned
 
technicolour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
there was nothing to discuss after jose's first post. This thread should have been closed 19 pages ago
technicolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #390
asator
whatever
 
asator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by synestershadows
I actually liked that. Am I alone in this one?

I like Dead Swans and I like My Bloody Valentine, but I thought they pretty much ruined it.
__________________
My name is Danny. Call me that.
asator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #391
synestershadows
UG's Misery Signals Fan
 
synestershadows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
I think it's kind of ridiculous how long this and that sprsrscore thread have lasted. Jay, can you just close these damn things already?
__________________
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimebagLivesOn
Well you're wrong and stupid and I don't like you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nashawa
You know who's a good troll? Me. Because I'm secretly in love with Pandy.
synestershadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #392
blake1221
‭‭
 
blake1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolour
there was nothing to discuss after jose's first post. This thread should have been closed 19 pages ago


This.

Because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Hey, the Metalcore thread was far from terrible.



eehhhhhh. JxD had it covered within his first post. Metalcore has a concrete definition.


And then it turned into a Mis Sigs shit show/side conversations about numetalcore.

Last edited by blake1221 : 04-22-2012 at 02:06 PM.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #393
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
 
Morphogenesis26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
^
Not a bad guess.

[GELDIT]
Now to contribute something actually useful to this discussion:

I'm all for calling any crossover of metal and hardcore "metalcore", regardless of if it's hardcore with metal influence or metal with hardcore influence. Where the problem begins is when you see bands like Trivium and Bullet for My Valentine get labelled as metalcore. God forbid you call stuff like BVB or Asking Alexandria "metalcore".

I think a lot of the confusion is that a bunch of elitist metalheads started labeling anything they didn't particularly like as metalcore even when there was no evidence of metal influence. This trend appears to have gone to the extreme in which any kind of poppy metal is called "metalcore" by elitist metalheads even when said bands are really just watered down radio rock with screaming vocals and breakdowns. I've seen BVB, Asking Alexandria, and Five Finger Death Punch all labeled as metalcore by metal forums and websites. It's kind of adorable.


Despite their last 4 albums, Avenged Sevenfold still get called Metalcore. I've never heard someone call FFDP Metalcore though, but I guess that's to be expected when people call LoG and Chimaira Metalcore to.

Metal Archives got it right though.
__________________
When life gets tough and you don't know what to do, then just keep






Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #394
The Charm
King Platypus
 
The Charm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
MBV are awesome. I just thought I'd throw that out there.
__________________
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
The Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.