14 Fender strat HH

Jet City JCA50H
Zilla Small Vintage 2x12 v30/G12T-75

Pedals
Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #22
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

It all comes down to whether you are a "Strat" or a "Les Paul" guy. Is this your first guitar purchase or do you already own some guitars?

What genres are you going to play? What amp do you have?

You could also buy a HSS Strat so you get both humbucker and single coil sounds in one guitar.

Have you tried these guitars? If not, go and try them. Only you know what you like.

A video might make it easier to choose...

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #23
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Two extremes, if you don't know either, I'd go for something in between really. A super strat HSH. Might as well go for the 24 frets and FR too!
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #24
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust

I myself am a Gibson man...how I know this, on my right forearm i have a 25cm SG and on my left I have my LP.....I will be a gibson man until the day I die....this is how much I really love my Gibsons. But hereīs the thing...thats my choice....and an LP mabye isnīt whats gunna get your mojo working. Your question is like saying "I want a pet....should I get a cat or a dog"

....best thing to do is first narrow down what tone your looking for, write down a list of guitarists you enjoy listening too and then find out what gear they use....that should really narrow it down

...then go in and play the damned thing....you may find yourself having a Little to much fun with the guitar thats not your first choice...itīs really all about finding the one that feels good in your hands and your ears.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #25
samuraigoomba

Gotta agree with blackst4r. Gibsons just don't feel right for me, but a nice tele or strat fits in my arms very comfortably.

Try lots of models of each.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #26
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Oh, and don't buy anything blind just because somebody here suggests it. You need to go and try it by yourself. Because you are the only one who knows if it feels good in your hands and sounds good to your ears.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Old 10-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #27
Fumble fingers

I would make it a goal to get both !! ...... one won't replace the other , some stuff you need a strat , some stuff you need a LP ..... yes they have different kind of feel from each other , plus all the different neck styles you can get just from one Brand , but just like your acoustic they will all feel different but still should be no problem getting used to each guitar with a little bit of playing time .....
my LP is just a copy for now till I get the "real deal" LP but each design is great in there own right , get both and don't look back , you can never have too many guitars in the arsenal , just like amps the more the merrier , no one amp does it all just as no one guitar does it all

Last edited by Fumble fingers : 10-15-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Fumble fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #28
RockAddict311
RockAddict311

BOTH

Anyone who tells you one is better than the other is probably just a plain ignoramus.
RockAddict311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #29
gregs1020
Hi mom!

get a tele.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #30
RockAddict311
RockAddict311

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
get a tele.

+1

Jimmy Page is partial to teles as well for all you Zep lovers. Quite a few tracks involve the tele.
RockAddict311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #31
Danny McMartin

I was in the same position a few years ago. I had to step back and think what do my favourite guitarists play?

While I love Red Hot Chili Peppers for e.g. where their guitarist mainly uses Fenders, I couldn’t but think that so many of the bands I had listened to over the years and the fat sound they produced all come from a Les Paul.

The Les Paul weighs a LOT more. Much heavier so takes a little to get used to when standing while playing. Yet almost 5 years on, I’m happy with the purchase.

In summary which guitar do you think?

1) Looks cooler?
2) Feels more user friendly to play?
3) Has the sound you want?
4) Is used by your influences?
Danny McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #32
nonjonron

Pretty much was Rico said except I don't think the Gibson is necessarily better than the strat. He's right about getting a higher end les paul as opposed to a cheaper one I think. These days I believe it is the Les Paul traditional (non chambered?). You should explore chambered verses non-chambered and decide what is best for you. The chambered is a newer feature from Gibson that I am unsure about.

I also agree with everyone else who says get both. A good American made strat will probably cost you less money than the Gibson. So make sure the Les Paul is at least a standard or the strat is American made.
nonjonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #33
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

The thread is a couple of months old so I think TS has already made his decision.

So TS, what did you get?

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Old 12-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #34
HotDan!

Most everything has been covered here in that you've 'narrowed it down' to two iconic guitars with two totally different sounds. I'll throw in this...why not both? Well sort of or at least as close as you can come for a trial of each for little money. Go get yourself a Chinese made Tokai Love Rock (I recently got one and they're not bad) along with a Squire Classic Vibe Strat (these are better than not bad, in fact...very good and I have one of these as well). You can get these for around $350.00 or so each. They will give you extremely good insight as to which direction you wish to go from there and you can upgrade to your tastes from that point for little initial outlay money wise.

Last edited by HotDan! : 12-23-2013 at 12:06 AM.
HotDan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #35
jtees4

Very different guitars. If you really have no idea which type you'd prefer or which suits your style....then I'd suggest an Ibanez, Yamaha, LTD, Carvin, "insert other".
jtees4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #36
Fumble fingers

every guitarist should have a LP , a Strat and Tele in the rack at the minimum ... seriously , would any of them collect dust ? ... not at my house
Fumble fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: