Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

Dat sense of wonder

When I got my first electric guitar, it blew my mind that I was playing an actual electric guitar. It didn't matter that the amp sounded like a box of bees. It was new and exciting. These days, I can play a PRS through a Mesa Boogie and say "meh".

Learning even the simplest AC/DC riff felt like a huge achievement, and I could feel a sense of accomplishment in creating music from scratch. These days, that feeling no longer exists. I can't remember exactly when it disappeared, or for what reason.

Seems to me like people of my age tend to accentuate the negative aspects of everything. No-one's ever impressed by anything. Of course, dissatisfaction is what drives us to improve and make progress, but I think there's some value in being able to really appreciate the things around you.

What does The Pit think? Is there any way to get dat feel back?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
WhiskeyFace
:^)

Buy a new instrument?
WhiskeyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
LostLegion
resurrected

No.

LostLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
Smoking a shit load of pot might help.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Harvey Swick
UGs Token Native American

keep learning new material. i get that feeling every time i nail that riff i have been working on.
or when i write something totally new, regardless if others think its cool, i always feel like it is.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Nickpocalypse
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashki
Seems to me like people of my age tend to accentuate the negative aspects of everything. No-one's ever impressed by anything. Of course, dissatisfaction is what drives us to improve and make progress, but I think there's some value in being able to really appreciate the things around you.

Agreed
Nickpocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
guitarist41
DiscoSucks****Everything

Man, way back when I was first learning, learning a new song was ****ing amazing. I tried to learn every song I liked.

Long gone are those days.
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
guitarist41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

I just love playing guitar. If I ever stop loving it, I'll quit.

FenderBender72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
guitarist41
DiscoSucks****Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender72
I just love playing guitar. If I ever stop loving it, I'll quit.

I don't even really consider myself "a guitar player" now.

However, I think I'm actually way better than I was when I used to love playing guitar. Weird.
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
guitarist41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
henrihell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Swick
keep learning new material. i get that feeling every time i nail that riff i have been working on.
or when i write something totally new, regardless if others think its cool, i always feel like it is.

This! Find something challenging and learn it! There's always gonna be things that you can't do yet..

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
henrihell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
AmirT

Look for challenges.

That's all.

I have my electric for almost 2 years now and still have no amp.
I play a Danelectro through a Danelectro Honeytone connected to some 5 portable speakers (don't even dare to laugh lol) Damn fantastic drive-tone! Really! Clean when fingerpicked, fat-overdrive sound when really rocking with the pick!

That makes me look for challenges, like getting THAT kind of tone from THAT song. The only 3 settings I have on the Honeytone is a non editable Reverb+Delay, on/off and distortion I rarely use because of the "analog built-in distortion" of the cheap speakers.

Not comparable to a Marshall Stack or so, but for the total money I payed for these three things (less than 300) it's awesome!
I've played through good amps of my friends etc, but at that point I was like; "If I buy this one, I'll be just bored"

I don't know even why, I was bored several times, but not when playing through my ghetto-style vintage sounding gear lol.

I'm planning to buy a Greta or a Fender Blues amp. Just to get more excitement from it and not spend too much money, even though I'm not financially disabled to buy a good amp.

I'd suggest to go to lower tiers, learn to appreciate low tier gear again.
Then start over, higher and higher.

Last edited by AmirT : 11-20-2012 at 05:40 PM.
AmirT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
jrcsgtpeppers

Branch out and listen to New music and learn new music. If you like metal listen to jazz. If you like punk listen to metal. If you like jazz listen to prog house. If you like house listen to classic rock. of you like classic rock listen to psychadelic. If you like psychadelic listen to shoegaze. If you like shoegaze listen to metal.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
donender
Get back to work

In regards to actually playing new guitars, i prefer to try quirky and vintage guitars (not too expensive, otherwise i would be watched like a hawk in guitar stores) because i know that if i play a guitar with a good reputation, there is no surprise when it is actually good, whereas with an old cool looking guitar that i have never heard of, it might have amazing tone and/or playability. Having said that, i do like to cut loose sometimes and just try out a really nice looking common brand, and i own an Epiphone and Gretsch Electromatic, and they are great, but not too adventurous.

As for getting the feel back for actually playing, i find that listening to new styles helps. I was in a massive rut a couple of months ago, and couldn't come up with anything good, then i started playing more acoustic and then bass, and i got the feel back for it, so maybe changing your repertoire would be a good thing?

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
donender is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: