Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Bug Reports
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
bookstorecowboy

How do you preserve your original formatting?

Hi, I have a problem when submitting chords with lyrics: the chords and words don't line up right. For example, I put "A" for the chord, and when it goes to preview, it has moved. Also, weird symbol strings show up -- e.g., ;1827 or some such -- in place of returns, apostrophes, and quotation marks.

I have tried using TextEdit, and I understand the problem might be with my word processor using HTML codes or some such. What I would like is a workaround, say, a font that will match up and not produce any changes from my original.

I use a Mac. I don't know if that makes a difference. I don't think so, since I seem to recall similar problems when I used Microsoft Windows.
bookstorecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
whoomit

If you use TextEdit, and format it to Plain Text then you should be fine.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
Mysher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookstorecowboy
Hi, I have a problem when submitting chords with lyrics: the chords and words don't line up right. For example, I put "A" for the chord, and when it goes to preview, it has moved. Also, weird symbol strings show up -- e.g., ;1827 or some such -- in place of returns, apostrophes, and quotation marks.

I have tried using TextEdit, and I understand the problem might be with my word processor using HTML codes or some such. What I would like is a workaround, say, a font that will match up and not produce any changes from my original.

I use a Mac. I don't know if that makes a difference. I don't think so, since I seem to recall similar problems when I used Microsoft Windows.

Please do not use any complicated text processors (like MS Word) to create your tabs, because it will add lots of extra system tabulation symbols to your tab. Use just simple standard Notepad and set the font to the one in which all the symbols have the same width -- "courier new", for example. So that you'll be able to see how your tab would look like when you copy-paste it into submit tab box on the site. Use a "preview tab" button. And make sure your tab is not wider horizontally than the templates we provide:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/subm...bs_template.txt
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/subm...bs_template.txt
Mysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Spaztikko

have you tried using tux guitar? Not only will it be easier to view but you can also export to text.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #5
bookstorecowboy

I tried using TextEdit, and that gets rid of the weird symbols. (Thank you, Whoomit.)

But when I paste the song into the window at UG, the spaces still aren't right, and the line breaks aren't right, either.

But it's further along.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:57 AM   #6
whoomit

Well like Mysher said, you need a simple program that uses the same amount of space for each character.

Not like this.

Code:
More like this.

I use NotePad on Windows, I'm not a Mac user so I had to look up what program was like that, and that was my first find. See if you can find a NotePad-like program.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
bookstorecowboy

That would be TextEdit, but there are still problems. I will try Tux Guitar.

Rate This Thread: