Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #21
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Seems necessary.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #22
jasonSG

Yes it certainly does lol. Well im not going to argue with you anymore toodeepblue in my experience the prophecy sg far beats any gibson sg for the price your opinion obviously differs which is fair enough seeing as its your opinion. But to clear up one thing when i say the quality of the build that includes everything from the quality of the woods the level of the fretts all of that stuff and i am very aware of the different ways of construction that is employed across the epiphone and gibson lines as i said i make an informed opinion. But never the less its always nice to meet someone out there that challenges your opinion
jasonSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #23
SteveHOC
Used Register

Jason, I was actually agreeing with you in my previous statement. We're definitely on the same page here. I've played crap Gibsons more often than crap Epiphones, and I'm one to enjoy seeking out a nice low-mid price guitar, as I can get great sounds out of any of them. I didn't want this to be an Epiphone vs Gibson thread, but I guess that's what happens.

I realize that Gibsons are highly respected guitars, but Jason is right, you're seeing artists abandon them in lieu of their cheaper counterpart - Epiphone. Hell, if they're good enough for Jim Ward, they're at least worth a try.

All this said, I currently own three Epiphone electrics, so clearly I'm already sold on them.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #24
jasonSG

Yeah im sorry about that man. These conversations always seem to go this way lol and i appreciate that agree with me and see that i have some valid points. Thank you . Toodeepblue does seem rather knowledgable its just a difference of opinion between us but he does have some very goods points. When is all is said and done i hope our heated discussion help you in some way and you get the sg you want be it an epiphone or a gibson. Let me know how you go ok?

Last edited by jasonSG : 10-12-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #25
SteveHOC
Used Register

No worries! Hard to discern tone and such on the Internet. I will definitely let you know what I end up with, and hopefully it'll be within the next couple of weeks. I appreciate the help, man! Thanks for all the advice, TooDeepBlue, as well!
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #26
jasonSG

I wish my hagstrom viking baritone thread got this much action not a single reply lol
Old 11-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #27
ClaesCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
Nothing wrong with Gibson, and if I play one I like, I'll get it, but I've gotten past the name on the headstock and find that Epiphones are becoming my go-to guitar brand.

...yes, POSE VALUE. UK band Oasis have played Epiphones while certainly being able to buy '58 Les Pauls. There's a "workingman's guitar" aspect to be considered - an anti-Gibbo stance due to the high costs of those. I got some from both stables, but Epis sound different from their sister Gibson models. Example: Epi SG Jnr with dog-ears. Strummed acoustically, it sounds a bit like a Tele - going electric, it retains some of that while supplying much fatter chords. It's great for open tunings, power chords at full blast and slide. That specific SG is... Made in Indonesia! Adapt and adopt the sound of a guitar rather than trying to make it unnatural.

Gibsons also have an inherent pose value... but that you already know.
ClaesCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #28
samuraigoomba

Low-end used Gibsons cost like $500. That's really not so expensive for a quality guitar of any brand. Try buying a good guitar with absolutely anything on the headstock without at least getting into that neighborhood. A lot of the epiphones I see people really getting into are near that price.

At this particular moment in time (with the economy being down,) I don't see how used Gibsons are that expensive.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: