Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-13-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
Matt Chavie
aspiring breakdancer...

Singing Critique/LF Advice

Song

this is me singing Constant Knot by City and Colour. I'm looking for pointers on how to sing good/better. Anything is helpful. I would really like to become a decent singer, so thank you for your time.

Last edited by Matt Chavie : 12-13-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Matt Chavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
masterofpuppies

Your basic voice is great, but it can be significantly improved, mainly by correct breathing. You need to learn to breathe from your diaphragm, and learn how to support the note from there. Also, you produce a lot of air when singing, as you learn to correct support your note, you also need to learn how to use the correct amount of air.
masterofpuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
HotspurJr

The big problem here is that you're focused on the surface of the song rather than really digging into the notes with good technique. There are a bunch of words that should be sung strongly but are weak because you don't have the technique. Instead, you're trying (I'm willing to bet) to sound like the guy who sings the song originally.

Don't try to sound like him. Try to sound like you.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Matt Chavie
aspiring breakdancer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
The big problem here is that you're focused on the surface of the song rather than really digging into the notes with good technique. There are a bunch of words that should be sung strongly but are weak because you don't have the technique. Instead, you're trying (I'm willing to bet) to sound like the guy who sings the song originally.

Don't try to sound like him. Try to sound like you.

I started singing really incorrectly, even more so than I do now. I don't say in my head "sing it like him" but I am not exactly sure how I should sound or what I sound like or how I'd even figure that out. I relax my throat, and my throat doesn't get tired after singing or sore which seems to be the goal. I appreciate the feedback though!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
Matt Chavie
aspiring breakdancer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofpuppies
Your basic voice is great, but it can be significantly improved, mainly by correct breathing. You need to learn to breathe from your diaphragm, and learn how to support the note from there. Also, you produce a lot of air when singing, as you learn to correct support your note, you also need to learn how to use the correct amount of air.

I feel like this is asked constantly but how do I sing through my diaphragm? I thought I was I guess, so I am unclear as to how I'd do that, or how sing with less air. I will start reading up on it. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
RealUnrealRob
Lazy Physicist

You know how you can breath either into your chest or into your belly, giving yourself a bit of a pot belly (Maybe just me, heh)? You should try to breath using that lower area. If you're hitting high notes and 'pushing' your voice, you should feel it in your abs.

Actually, just read the stickied "Welcome/Important Info" post's tips on using the diaphragm.

Also, fun visual. Take a balloon or big bag or whatever, and blow it up breathing the first way. Then blow it up breathing the second way. You'll have a lot more air the second way.

It sounds like you don't have a lot of air when you're singing, so that might be it. Make sure you take deep breaths before each section, you have to take in a lot of air, not just a little gasp. Open your mouth and breathe!

[example, listen to any muse song. You hear him take a breath before every line basically]

Last edited by RealUnrealRob : 12-17-2012 at 01:04 AM.
RealUnrealRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: