Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #21
Bikewer

When Ovation hit the market, they very heavily went out to promote their product. They gave instruments away to prominent musicians, gave them away to open-mic clubs, etc.
The club we used to hang out at got two of 'em....They were the "house" guitars for years.

Prominent artists like Glen Campbell and Cat Stevens used 'em.

They have always been a durable instrument that sounded very good through a system. The acoustic sound was generally...Meh.... But for professional musicians they were very durable to tour with and when plugged in they were as good as anything else.

Also, they tended to be very "playable".... Noted for slick actions and necks.

Sure... PITA to play seated....Acoustic sound OK at best... But a lot of very good performers used and endorsed them for quite a while.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:37 AM   #22
Christianic

why hate? because it is too expensive.
Christianic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #23
Captaincranky

Why hate Ovations, you ask? This is old business, but the two I had were mediocre at best. I was informed I shouldn't judge the line based on my experience. So, what should I do, buy 6 more and see if they suck too?

To be fair, my "Matrix" 12 string, was quite easy to play, even tuned to concert pitch.

But yeah, yeah, yeah, they're great plugged in. The "Adamas" series is way cool by any definition of standard.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 07-30-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:03 AM   #24
Fret Frier

Its The Rounded Back
Fret Frier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #25
gogonias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret Frier
Its The Rounded Back

I haven't tried or heard an ovation (I am a novice in the guitar world), but isn't this rounded back supposed to be an advantage?
I mean sonically, the rounded back is supposed to have better projection right?
It may not be very practical or comfortable for the player, but it has other advantages to the sound it produces, or so I've read.

However, it is hard to imagine myself connecting with a synthetic, odorless instrument no matter how technologically advanced it may be. At least not at the same degree as I could connect with a wooden guitar.
The smell and the feel of natural wood is hard to beat.

Also, if an acoustic instrument sounds better when plugged in, then something is wrong in the first place and it's a big fail in my book.

That's the main reasons I pass on Ovations every time I search the net for my next guitar-love.

However, I would really love to get my arms around one of these, or similar guitar:
http://www.muratsezenguitars.com/ga...ring/index.html

Anyone has experience with wooden round-back-6-steel-stringed guitar?
Please share. . .

Last edited by gogonias : 08-01-2014 at 09:08 AM.
gogonias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:45 PM   #26
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogonias
I haven't tried or heard an ovation (I am a novice in the guitar world), but isn't this rounded back supposed to be an advantage?
I mean sonically, the rounded back is supposed to have better projection right?
It may not be very practical or comfortable for the player, but it has other advantages to the sound it produces, or so I've read.
Yes, that's the theory. Because of the parabolic shape of the back, arguably the sound is focused toward the sound hole. Ovations are tough for the player to hear because of that. Then, they also lack the inherent resonance of the typical wood body. So, is a sense they don't, "love you back", in the same way as a wooden instrument

Quote:
However, it is hard to imagine myself connecting with a synthetic, odorless instrument no matter how technologically advanced it may be. At least not at the same degree as I could connect with a wooden guitar.
The smell and the feel of natural wood is hard to beat.
Oh, not to worry, fiberglass stinks like hell, at least when it's curing.

Quote:
Also, if an acoustic instrument sounds better when plugged in, then something is wrong in the first place and it's a big fail in my book.
You're hung up in the idea of playing alone, acoustic only. IMHO, every thing sounds better when it's plugged in. If only for the fact you can shift your venue to a cathedral via time delay and reverb effects, instead of the average, crappy, sonically dead, living room.

Quote:
That's the main reasons I pass on Ovations every time I search the net for my next guitar-love.
You should probably be thinking in terms of Ovation guitars, as a working musician's tool. They have a unique sound, with it's roots in acoustic guitar. However, they have very fast playing necks, which are similar to an electric.

But..........., modeling techniques have progressed to the point where when you want to sound like you're playing an Ovation, you can most likely have your sound guy simply dial it up on the mixing console, and your Stratocaster will be none the wiser I mean really, a cross section of the audience would be mostly oblivious to what, or why, you sounded like you did.

Quote:
Anyone has experience with wooden round-back-6-steel-stringed guitar?
Please share. . .
Well, most of those people played lutes, and are long, long dead. But, there are "contemporary" instruments which are round backed. For example the middle eastern "Oud": Here's Godin's synth access version of an electric oud: http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmultioudambiancep.htm

Different tunings notwithstanding, guitar players are constantly being bombarded with gimmick instruments, engineered to be tuned like a guitar, saving us the trouble of learning anything different. Google, "banjitar". And expand your horizons with this Wiki page on the Oud: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oud

The part that everyone seems to have missed is this thread is a necrobump. I have been here long enough to be able to recount the reason for its existence.

"Gingerlocks", the TS, bought an Ovation, and was thrilled with it. So, in his overly stimulated manic state, set himself to the task of proselytizing vigorously on Ovation's behalf, and also rooting out infidels and non-believers who would speak against them.

OK look, I don't have a problem with that. Hell, I even get really excited and possibly overly so, when I buy a new guitar. But, the reality is, this thread was made for trollin', and is long past it usefulness, however pure of heart our TS may have been when he created it.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 08-02-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #27
1abpetegreen

My lovely wife bought me an ovation a few weeks ago,..and dya know what I love it yes they do slip n slide a bit till you get the hang,but for the the money I think they are not bad value at all...peace brother's.....mick.
1abpetegreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: