Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Recommend me a bass amp

I currently own an Ampeg BA115, and now I know that 100W for bass is child's play (apparently).

I would like to spend in the $250-300 range. Used is preferable. I'm not really picky - I just want to be able to be heard in a band situation (over modern metal drumming). Looking for a combo, simply because I assume a stack with the power I need won't be happening in my budget.

I'm browsing around and saw the new Peavey Max 115 II. It's 300W @ only $300 new. Are there any opinions on that yet?

Otherwise I've also looked at a used Peavey Tour TNT115, which is 600W. Any opinions on that?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 04-27-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
cGoEcYk

Speaker area (e.g. adding an extra cab) will give you a bigger boost in volume than just the same configuration with a few more watts, though 100w SS is a little light for fighting against a modern metal drummer.

I'd hard to avoid having to spend a lot of cash to get a great metal bass rig. Getting to the volume level is one thing and then after that you'll be worrying about tone (mud vs articulation).

If you are in a pinch and need some boom fast, I'd get the 600w Peavey and use BOTH amps. 2x15 should cut it. Get an ABY switch or slave one amp (use the line out from one into the FX loop return of other, if they have FX loops). The tone will be dark but it should cause enough earthquake that the band knows you are there.

Dail in for low mids/mids (150-250Hz, 500-600Hz) for presence, not boomy lows (80Hz)... that alone could help you with the amp situation since you'll cut through more for less power.

Last edited by cGoEcYk : 04-27-2013 at 02:25 PM.
cGoEcYk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Well the bulk of the money would come from selling the Ampeg.

I prefer 15" speakers tonally to 10" speakers - is a 210 really notably louder than a 115, at the same wattage?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 04-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
cGoEcYk

I'd go with the TNT then. Try diaing in a bunch of low mids and mids with Master cranked while leaving lows flat or slightly cut on the BA and see if that helps though, maybe you can get by for longer with it.

If your guitarist is using some huge stack with a ton of low end a single 1x15 could still be problematic though (I'd just ask/force him to EQ so that you have some space in the mix). Maybe look into an affordable used extension cab down the line.

Last edited by cGoEcYk : 04-28-2013 at 12:01 PM.
cGoEcYk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I ordered a TNT, broke even on it for what I sold my Ampeg for. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully it works, but if not, I should be able to make a little profit on it. If the TNT doesn't work, then I'll have to invest more into the bass rig.

Does anyone know anything about the Peavey Mark III? Would it & a 410 cab be loud enough? I can't find much info out about it, I'm not sure how many watts it is.

That's what I've seen on the cheap, other than that I'm not sure where to go as far as stacks go. Peavey is kind of my "go-to" brand haha.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Rate This Thread: