Password
Search:

Old 06-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #21
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaaash
5 hours? Holy smokes...

If you ever join a cover band most of your gigs will be 4 hours. It may be hard to remember all your songs at first, but as you'll generally be playing the same songs every gig, they get easier to remember.

With these gigs I still don't bring any reference material to the stage. I'm under the impression that you either know a song ir you don't, and if you need a piece of paper to play it, then you don't know the song.

An exception goes out to classical musicians of course, as their songs tend to go on forever and their "setlist" changes regularly.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #22
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

Yeah 4-5 hours is how you get paid as a working band. It's easily 80+ songs -

Bottom line...a working band...works.

Best,

Sean

An Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Stuck? I Mentor Guitar Players for Free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I offer a free Skype-based Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #23
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
If you ever join a cover band most of your gigs will be 4 hours. It may be hard to remember all your songs at first, but as you'll generally be playing the same songs every gig, they get easier to remember.

With these gigs I still don't bring any reference material to the stage. I'm under the impression that you either know a song ir you don't, and if you need a piece of paper to play it, then you don't know the song.

An exception goes out to classical musicians of course, as their songs tend to go on forever and their "setlist" changes regularly.

Also, classical pieces are usually a lot more complex - I mean, they progress a lot more and are a lot more technical than basic pop songs that are usually just four or five chords and three or four different parts. You just need to remember the chords and structure (and most songs have really similar structures). I would say there's way less to remember in ten basic pop songs than in one classical piece (of course this is just generalizing - there are more simple classical pieces and more complex pop songs).

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #24
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ I agree that classical songs are also complex. However I think if they were (a) shorter and (b) the orchestra had to play the same song over and over without change, that the musicians would not require sheet music by the end.

However this isn't the case, with many professional orchestras not getting a chance to even listen to some songs before playing them.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #25
Hail
kill both bass players

depending on the context, yeah, for like christmas events it's usually sightread, but most orchestras get the sheet music maybe a week in advance. the issue is that they often haven't worked with the people in the orchestra before and are robbed of the opportunity of rehearsal, so they have to have their parts down, which is hard to do considering most gigging musicians with degrees also teach to supplement themselves with benefits they don't get "on the road"
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:42 AM   #26
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
depending on the context, yeah, for like christmas events it's usually sightread, but most orchestras get the sheet music maybe a week in advance. the issue is that they often haven't worked with the people in the orchestra before and are robbed of the opportunity of rehearsal

And compare this to a band, where they've probably played the same song a million times, and were first introduced to it at least a month and 4 practices earlier....

We're just agreeing with each other.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #27
Hail
kill both bass players

i thought we established by now 99% of my posts aren't disagreeing with anything just kinda extending my experience onto whatever somebody else already said
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: