Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #21
Keth
Contrapunctalist
 
Keth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Tell me, how long will you do about spelling an A#7 chord in first inversion with that app?

I had it spelled out in my head within 0.2 seconds, not kidding.
__________________


Keth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #22
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
 
AeolianWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamza hashmi
As for me i know chord construction theory but i wont want to waste my time building them myself, because i can do more important stuff in that time.


okay, then. you can go ahead and use external resources -- the rest of us will be busy utilizing our own skill.

you bring up the analogy of using the calculator - would you advocate using division on a calculator to somebody unable to do division by themselves? you probably would.

by the way - if you really knew chord construction theory, you wouldn't be wasting any time. anyone here worth their salt can build any chord in a matter of seconds. the fact that you refer to it as a waste of time shows me that you do not know it to any satisfactory degree...

...and therefore, you do not own the information.

you're welcome to argue and debate with me as long as you like, but you can't conceal the fact that you're using resources like the ones you're touting to cover up for a marked lack of knowledge and skill. your argument is flawed from its basic logical premise -- i advise you to think it through a little more. as convenient as it is for you to make your points to try to draw attention away from the fact that your understanding is poor, there are still large holes in your argument that i think you should reconsider before debating with me (or pretty much anyone on this forum).

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonamarthmetal
what do you mean by mathematical craft exactly?


look at the counterpoint of bach. the symphonies of mozart. the fiery compositions of beethoven. the role of musical form plays a tremendous part in all of those masterworks (and, no, i do not consider a composition with the form of "intro verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus" to be a masterwork of ANY kind in musical form).

outside of form, look at the process by which sound is made - an elementary understanding of acoustics will contain mathematics as complex as a high school trigonometry class.

not to mention the concept of a beat. it's so basic and so fundamental that i won't even discuss it.

math is everywhere in music, and there are a lot of people who would try to get around it and take shortcuts -- and they're the people who end up cut short.

TS, you can do one of two thing to solve your predicament. you can do as i and many others have suggested and learn to create arpeggios - this will allow you to be in complete command of your instrument, and you will be able to create what you need when you need it.

you can also rely on external resources to "save time", and cover up your own misunderstandings.

it all depends on which is more important to you: would you rather be good at what you do? or would you rather seem good at what you do?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister A.J.
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elintasokas
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
i smell a theme.
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #23
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr
 
J-Dawg158's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I fail to see how:

Brain → fingers → computer → internet → eyes → brain → fingers

is in anyway more efficient than

Brain → fingers

Sure, when learning how to construct chords it would be, but you should eventually wean yourself off of it rather than relying on it. It's one thing to use tools to learn and benefit from, but it's another thing entirely to depend on it as a crutch.
__________________
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #24
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
 
Sleepy__Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Butt****, SY
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamza hashmi
lol ill use my cellphone app.


If your cellphone dies that's an inconvenience.
If your brain dies all the apps in the world won't make any difference.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #25
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
 
AlanHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canberra, Australia
Yes the brain is faster than Google.

More to the point if you can construct for example major arpeggios, you can do this for every major chord, rather than googling multiple times for different chords and voicings.
__________________
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
AlanHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #26
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
 
mdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
TS, since you're so fucking lazy, you could always get us to do this for you.

Have fun...
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:42 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.