Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
jvan1991

new to tube amps...need some advice

So this is my first post and would like some opinions/advice etc...
I just recently bought myself a new Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro with alnico classic pro pups. I currently am playing through a peavey vypyr 15 and I like it and all but ever since I tried my friends tube half stack I have been in love with the way tubes sound compared to digital/solid state amps. Anyway, I don't really know anything about tube amps and their maintenance and upkeep and all that. I am looking for an amp that is capable of me getting really crisp clean tones, a warm heavy crunch and high gain where I can get tones similar to Disciple's original guitarist Brad Noah. His setup was a Gibson les paul standard through a splawn quickrod and a zakk wylde wah pedal and zakk wylde overdrive. The sounds he was able to achieve were amazing to me. Anyway, i was looking at a Bugera 333xl infinium but tons of reviews told me that bugera was famous for their amps being 50/50 where some would short out after a year or less and some would work fine. I would love to get this amp but would like some experienced opinions and such from people who have owned or do own this amp and if the reviews i read are accurate or if there is a better amp out there that would better suit my wants and sound expectations. Also i would like some info, for when i do get a tube amp, proper maintenance and care for the tubes and different tube types and anything relatable to a noob lol. Anyway thank you for any and all suggestions and comments and please let me know anything that would help me.
jvan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Plenty of Bugera hate here due to their perceived unreliability, but few (if any) have complained about their sound.

I personally think the unreliability issue exists, but is overblown, but that's a determination you have to make for yourself. If I were in the market for yet another amp, I wouldn't count them out because of it.

Tube amps aren't difficult to maintain, stick around, search and read a few threads and you'll figure it out pretty easily.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

The 333xl sounds nice!

The unreliability stories mostly come from years old models when bugera's qc was shite, but it looks like they got the thing a lot better in recent years.

Keeping a tube amp is mostly a matter of replacing tubes, which may cost you some money if you decide to go for the standard everyday tubes or a lot if you go for gold-plated-pins, NOS philipps tubes.
The everyday ones sound just fine though, so you shouldn't have to worry.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
Robbgnarly

I owned a 333 for almost 4 yrs, it sounded great for the price. The reliability was horrible. It was in the shop at least 1 time a year for different things (input broke, cold solder joints on every tube socket, broken kettle lead pcb). I take great care of my gear, but that amp just sucked for reliability. I never gigged with out a backup amp and I had to use it several times.

Never buy a used Bugera, if you have to buy one get a new one with a warranty because you'll need it.

Give us:
Budget?
location?
new or used (you can get great amps used for cheap)?
gig or home use?
current gear?

and we can help you much better.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
GeetarHeero
Philosophizer of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Give us:
Budget?
location?
new or used (you can get great amps used for cheap)?
gig or home use?
current gear?

and we can help you much better.

This. Welcome to UG

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
GeetarHeero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Bugera are made by Behringer - 'nuff said.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
jvan1991

My budget is flexible because I am going to save up for it but I would like to stay around $1500 if possible. I live in georgia about an hour south of atlanta. And new or used doesn't matter as long as a used one will be just as reliable as a new one. And for now just home use(I have a barn I am going to play in so I will be able to push the master and really get the tubes going). I hope to get my band back together and if so then we will try to get some gigs going. My gear as of now is a fender squier strat model( I am going to Change the pickups and the the hardware on it for more of a southern rock kinda guitar) and an Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro with alnico classic pro pickups( I may change those out for some EMG's tho(81/85) but not right now. I'm also going to get a 7 string here in a few months as well(not too sure If I want a shecter, ibanez, or LTD yet)
jvan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

JSX maybe?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:33 PM   #9
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
JSX maybe?

Agreed.

Also, Splawn QuickRods (EL34) or ProMods (KT88) sometimes show up for ~$1000. I imagine those would be pretty common in your neck of the woods. Check your CL and GC Used.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #10
Robbgnarly

I can't link it because the site is down, but there is a 50 watt Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 and 1960 cab for $999 on GC used

Used peavey JSX is another great choice.

If you can find a Splawn, you'd be doing great. They are made in Dallas NC and are exceptional quality.

I did notice used JCM2000 DSL's are starting to fetch more than the $500 that was standard for the last year or two. They seem to be $600-$700 now
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #11
classicrocker01
Hit the Lights!!

The JSX, Splawn, and DSL are all excellent choices. Splawn is one of my all time favorites. They're not a lotta people's cup of tea, but I really dig the Blackstar Series 1 amps too.
PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniv.
Squire Tele
Krank 1980/Marshall MF400 4x12
Krank Rev Jr/Mesa Recto 4x12
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Call me Dylan
classicrocker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #12
TheJawsOfDeath

A buddy of mine has the 50w blackstar combo and a JCA100h. I've got a 1w blackstar and JCA22H. The friend also used to have a bugera...don't know which model exactly, it was a 100w head. Out of all of them, I like the JCA22H the most, the 100H sounds pretty much identical to me but obviously louder. Next runner up is his 50w blackstar. You'll have to pretty much just try out as many of them as you can, but I can tell you this, the Jet City amps just rip. Granted I ended up using a clean boost (bbe green screamer) with the OD channel on my jet city, needed it to tighten up the bottom end. I love it though, best tone I've ever had from my gear.
TheJawsOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #13
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

Looks like you're looking for a hot-rodded marshal sound. Laney makes one (gh100 maybe or is it the AOR?), I believe the peavey VTM is supposed to be too. If you want even cheaper, a peavey Windsor head replace the tubes with JJs and get a Marshal 1960 cab and a TS style boost. This is assuming a smaller budget though, if you have the money, there are plenty of amps that we can rec.
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, and deeelay
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
bluestratplayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: