Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-06-2014, 03:36 AM   #1
wazkaz

Please suggest me an acoustic guitar under $1200

Hi folks,
My name is Kaazi, I am from India. I currently owns a Larrivee acoustic guitar, perhaps L03e( I am not sure because I bought it second handed from a guy online and model number is not mentioned anywhere)...I am planning to buy a new acoustic guitar maybe a 'Taylor 214ce' or any equivalent. My playing style is rhythm. I am looking for live gigs good for both indoor and outdoors.I play with 7 piece band.Here in India, New Delhi, shops doesn't have guitars on display to check.My brother is going to the U.S...so I am planning to get one from there.I have checked youtube for samples... but I am still confused. Thanks.

Note : I love the guitar(larrivee)it sounds great on mic and good with pickups too..just it is causing problems due to the temperature here..It got some physical damages which can't be repaired easily here, due to lakh of good luthiers.
wazkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:19 AM   #2
stepchildusmc

hi Kaazi. welcome into UG. Taylor's 214ce is a great choice. it's a little too bright if your going to strum it mostly. i got around that by getting Taylor's 324. mohogany top guitar. it's a lot warmer sounding and takes strumming better in my opinion. in your range, there are a LOT of good choices. it's hard to recommend to you what you may like. where in the US is your brother going? does he also play guitar?
sadly, with the humidity issues that you have to deal with at home, keeping a good guitar i it's case with a humidifier/dehumidifier system is a must.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
wazkaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
hi Kaazi. welcome into UG. Taylor's 214ce is a great choice. it's a little too bright if your going to strum it mostly. i got around that by getting Taylor's 324. mohogany top guitar. it's a lot warmer sounding and takes strumming better in my opinion. in your range, there are a LOT of good choices. it's hard to recommend to you what you may like. where in the US is your brother going? does he also play guitar?
sadly, with the humidity issues that you have to deal with at home, keeping a good guitar i it's case with a humidifier/dehumidifier system is a must.

Thanks mate!
My brother is going to Sayracuse,New york. Yes, he can play little bit of guitar..I'll check some more models under 1200$ on some websites for sure. my purpose is mainly for strumming.Perhaps Martins also produces pretty nice sound for strumming purposes..How do you find the pickup quality of the Taylor 214ce?..Can the pickup deliver body sound as in more defined and balanced sound when connected just with the line?
wazkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
NewDayHappy

I got my Martin D16GT for $1,250 after taxes.

It's a great guitar, something you could make your family heirloom.

My Martin is honestly my favorite piece of equipment I own.

I will probably own this guitar for the next 30 years and I won't buy another guitar.
NewDayHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

if humidity is part of the problem, any guitar you get except for carbon fiber guitars are going to sound worse there and maybe end up with other issues like bracing coming off due to the wood swelling. same with heat - no guitar is immune to the damage that high heat can cause. larrivees are good all-solid guitars, a step above the 214 (which has lam b&s), and while a guitar with laminate b&s will be a little slower to respond to high humidity, after a few days they'll have the same problem.

as far as heat high enough to damage a guitar, that would mostly be glue melting, and that applies to every guitar.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
stepchildusmc

ahh...my hometown of Syracuse ! not a great selection of music stores there unfortunately.
there's a Guitar Center just outside the city in Dewitt. my friend Tyler is the manager there.
also there's Gorham music..not a lot going on there for selection if i remember correctly. and Clark's music...but i'm pretty sure that's mostly pianos.
Patticake brings up an excellent point.. due to the heat and humidity issues where you live, a better alternative..although more costly...would be a Carbon Fiber guitar. Rainsong makes a few models just barely above your range. i have a few carbon fiber ones. great for taking out in warm, humid weather.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:56 AM   #7
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i used to have a composite acoustics cargo. it's their smaller guitar and sounds much bigger and more resonant than other guitars in its size, but they have bigger guitars, too, and they're cheaper than rainsong
http://www.compositeacoustics.com/index.cfm/guitars

i also love the blackbird rider - looks like a paddle, sounds heavenly. also cheaper than rainsong.
http://www.blackbirdguitar.com/rider_steel.html

you might still run into minor trouble if a carbon fiber guitar gets very hot as the fingerboard may be glued on, but i'm thinking it's the best bet here.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:09 AM   #8
jessesixstring

I'd take a look at Seagull acoustics.
jessesixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:10 AM   #9
Cajundaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessesixstring
I'd take a look at Seagull acoustics.

+1
Stealth tone monsters.

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:21 AM   #10
agastya.sood

I live in India too.

The Taylor 214CE is available at Furtados, in Select City Walk, Saket. (New Delhi)
Atleast it was when I went there a month back. Just give them a call and ask them.
You can go any try it out there!

Last edited by agastya.sood : 03-14-2014 at 02:33 AM.
agastya.sood is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: