Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #21
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
at the risk of looking like I'm sitting on the fence, I also agree with what you're saying.

There's a certain level of crappiness where it makes you not want to play (let's call it the MG factor). Then there's the level where it's good enough to make you still want to play. Then there's awesome, which is noticeably better than "good enough", but which often costs an absolute load of more money. It's a judgement call as to whether "awesome" is worth the premium over "good enough". (obviously that's a bit of a simplification, it's a continuum rather than discrete ratings)

in my experience, anyway.
As I've become older and my tastes have transformed, so has my disposition towards buying expensive gear. Yet, even if I did have the extra cash to spend on a Diezel Herbert and Hufschmid 8-string, I wouldn't. I'm just not 'ready' for that much responsibility and fuck-off-ness. I should be quite happy with the Soldano, a few pedals, a good small amp, and whatever else I can throw in their that's cheap and spontaneous.

That seems a lot actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuailman
The Soldano has you spoiled.

Nah, seriously, I get were you're coming from. I'm like that with pedals, my distortion box is worth twice as much as my amp.
It's just that when it comes to amps and speakers, it doesn't cost that much to get a good one anymore, while getting a great one is disproportionally more expensive. It's a problem with most audio equipment. I wouldn't want to practice with equipment I didn't like, but I don't need it to sound absolutely perfect to my ears, just good enough to be fun to use, and I can get that from cheapish stuff most of the time.

But hey, everyone's different in that case. If you want something that offers 100% professional tone for practicing and you want it now, I wouldn't bother with the Cub.
Don't you have to actually have the amp to be spoilt by it?

A great amp, when buying new, is definitely disproportionate from other gear, and will cost you the earth. Like I said, I personally am not at a stage, even if I did have the money, where I would spend everything I had on one item.

I don't think I'll ever have the perfect set-up. So I'm the same as you, in that as long as it encourages me to play I'll be contented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguskilminster
I bought the Cub10 a few months ago, I really like it. BUT, at 10 watts, it's still very loud, far too loud to get above 2 on the volume with the gain on about 7. I've found that, in my opinion, it sounds better plugged into my 1x12 closed back cab with the gain coming from my BOSS DS1 (which I thought sounded like sh1t before this) rather than the overdriven valve sound of the amp. The clean sound is pretty good for a cheap amp though
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
yeah, i completely disagree with cheaping out for home gear. I only play at home, and I want to have good tone for me. Obviously if I gigged I'd want good gigging tone too, but if it came down to it, I'd not really care if some random dude at the pub whom I don't know thinks I have good tone (if he is even qualified to tell).
At the moment, I'm only playing for myself and for the possibility of recording myself one day and writing an album. And even if another band cropped up at some point, I'd still have the Soldano. I will always have a high-gain, loud-as-fuck amplifier--they sound great, after all.

Quote:
that being said, with powerscaling, you don't really have to choose any more. And those "low wattage" amps aren't overly crankable at home anyway.
If the amp sounds sweet at any volumes, regardless of why, I won't need power-scaling or low wattage.
I mean, Matamp's loud amps still sound wonderful at low volumes. Same goes for Bogner, Diezel, Soldano, etc. It's just a general rule of thumb that the louder it is, if you need to keep it quiet, the more the amp will fizz and poop out on you.

Quote:
i still want that vht, though. but it's something of an anomaly, in that it's cheap and handwired, and has triode operation for (slightly) lower volumes. and also (with any luck) voiced the way I want.

EDIT: I haven't tried the laney yet.
I thought the Laney had similar features. That's why it caught my eye. I thought it might interest you as well, as someone mentioned before that it had a distinct Blues Junior vibe to it.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #22
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah. I looked into it when i was looking into that fame, but i discounted it for some reason. I think I wasn't super-impressed by the clips. and now that the vht has come along, i figure i might as well get a handwired amp for 120 as a non-handwired (though that might be a fallacy, if they've had to cheap out on the parts in the vht to accomodate the extra cost required in handwiring it... but certainly looking at the gut shots the parts look decent).

I think I've gone off spending tons of money, too (at least until i have an awful lot more money than I do now ). I think having a good amp has shown me that, almost nomatter how much you spend, you'll never have an amp which does everything perfectly, and that you can get good one-trick ponies for not all that much (though that's not as true for the high-gainers, to be fair).

I agree that a lot of the high-end high gainers sound great at low volumes. I still prefer a more vintage amp with power scaling for vintage tones, though (but obviously said high gainer will own those types of amps for the high gain tones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 03-27-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #23
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Quote:
^ yeah. I looked into it when i was looking into that fame, but i discounted it for some reason. I think I wasn't super-impressed by the clips. and now that the vht has come along, i figure i might as well get a handwired amp for 120 as a non-handwired (though that might be a fallacy, if they've had to cheap out on the parts in the vht to accomodate the extra cost required in handwiring it... but certainly looking at the gut shots the parts look decent).

I think I've gone off spending tons of money, too (at least until i have an awful lot more money than I do now ). I think having a good amp has shown me that, almost nomatter how much you spend, you'll never have an amp which does everything perfectly, and that you can get good one-trick ponies for not all that much (though that's not as true for the high-gainers, to be fair).

I agree that a lot of the high-end high gainers sound great at low volumes. I still prefer a more vintage amp with power scaling for vintage tones, though (but obviously said high gainer will own those types of amps for the high gain tones).
I hope the gut-shots that we seen aren't like what you see from a Big-Mac picture at McDonalds. I mean, when you actually get it, the appearance is not quite the same.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #24
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #25
'93

would this amp be loud enoughto jam with a drummer...

my halfstack is hard to lug around when i go for a one time jam
'93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #26
Crohny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian hawkins
Hmm,looks interesting.I think Laney are very under-rated and a nice alternative to Marshall.
TS,is your avatar picture of Josh Homme from the Green Machine video clip?

they are super underrated. i was going to get a jcm800 then i found a gh50l head for a steal on ebay. i figured itd be on par with the marshall atleast. ended up blowing the marshall out of the water. more agressive tone to it without the drive circut engaged, but once you engage it it just destroys the 800s for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Crohny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #27
TheQuailman
Dan says I like poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by '93
would this amp be loud enoughto jam with a drummer...

my halfstack is hard to lug around when i go for a one time jam

The Cub12 and 12R should be worth a look.

Quote:
,__(^<
\___)

TheQuailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #28
gohan1

So, between the Laney cub 8 for 125e and the Cub12R for 200e which one would you buy?
gohan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: