Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: How Many Guitars Do You Own?
1 13 6.53%
2 24 12.06%
3 32 16.08%
4 20 10.05%
5 27 13.57%
5-10 54 27.14%
10-15 14 7.04%
15-20 6 3.02%
20-25 4 2.01%
25+ 5 2.51%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #61
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
I don't even know how people can be happy with a bunch of junk guitars.

Have you ever had a filet minon? Do you still eat hamburgers?

Cheap guitars can sometimes have charm that their pricier brethren lack.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #62
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
You're farther down the path that I'm traveling: 1 classical, 3 acoustics, 1 A/E fretless bass, and 7 electrics...with 2 customs in the works and a guitar in Cali half paid for.

at one point i was around 35. i sold all but the classicals and maybe 5 electrics. so i went to 10 and basically traded and sold up get higher quality. i was a craigslist stalker and it treated me really well. i bought my way up again to where i am now. but much happier with what i have.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #63
dannyalcatraz

Of all the ones I own, the one most likely to be sold/traded is my classical. To be honest, while I enjoy classical/classical style tunes & progressions, I don't actually enjoy playing nylon stringed guitars as much.

But I haven't taken any steps towards ridding myself of it...

Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #64
Silver Hilton
Old enough

I had three when this thread was started, up to four now, and I see the fifth calling to me in the store.

Seriously, I have a nice strat, a nice humbucker axe, a nice semi-hollow body, and a mexican strat that I have at work so I can practice while a computer job runs. That's really enough for me. I don't see the collection increasing - if I get another one, one has to go. I don't have enough storage room, and I've got a four bedroom house with a two car garage.

I completely understand about the guys who have more, though. I love gear.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Silver Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:38 AM   #65
nightowl2011

Just bought my sixth guitar and will probably have my seventh one very soon.
nightowl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #66
meard

I have 7 electric and one acoustic,
i love guitars and playing them that much i decided to collect them, ......
which reminds me, i got to get the list added to my profile soon.

always on the hunt for my next guitar, i want more, .. more, they look sooo nice in my living room, ... i guess im lucky to have a very understanding wife

Thanks for listening
meard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #67
thehikingdude

Currently I have 8. I'd like to make it 9.
thehikingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #68
dannyalcatraz

And my insanity continues: just pulled the trigger on Reverend Flatroc 15th Anniverasry in blue meal flake, #5 of 12.

http://www.tulsaband.com/Reverend_1...lue_Metal_Flake

Old 01-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #69
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Going to buy a thinline 72 today. Too many? Never. Variety is the spice of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #70
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

I have 3 guitars and I only play one of them. For me, 3 is too many. Dunno what to do with them, though.

I don't understand how people with 10+ guitars find the time to play them all. I can't even justify owning the ones I have. Seems to me that some people are more interested in buying new stuff all the time than playing it (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Last edited by sashki : 01-26-2013 at 02:02 PM.
sashki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #71
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Going to buy a thinline 72 today. Too many? Never. Variety is the spice of life.

ooh, what color? nice
Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #72
Confuse-a-Cat
The Jackson Guy

This question to me is very similar to when you see questions popping up along the lines of "Am I good enough to buy X guitar", where people think they need some level of skill to justify buying an expensive guitar.

My answer is the same. The only way you can have 'too many' guitars is if you're bankrupting yourself to buy them, or your kids are going hungry because you just had to have that new axe instead of buying food. So long as you can afford them and want to buy them, there's no such thing as too many.

I don't play anywhere near as much as I should, but I still get hit by GAS pretty hard. Only have one acoustic, three electrics and a bass at the moment, but I could easily see myself buying more.
Confuse-a-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #73
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
I don't understand how people with 10+ guitars find the time to play them all.

I don't- some I play all the time, some I rarely play. I AM contemplating getting rid of one or two...but don't hold your breath!
Quote:
I can't even justify owning the ones I have.

Each one I own is a bit different in some way.

First of all, I play in 2 different tunings (Standard and New Standard Tuning, a.k.a. NST), and I have guitars that are exclusively tuned to each one so I don't have to change tunings all the time. Also, since different kinds of guitars have different uses, I maintain guitars of those different kinds for each tunings.

So to start off, I have an acoustic, a solidbody electric and a hollowbody electric for each tuning. That makes 6 right there.

I only have one guitar with a tremolo- a solidbody, currently tuned to Standard. The Reverend I just purchased has a Bigsby, as will one of the customs I am having built. One of those will become the guitar I use for tremolo work in NST. That's 9.

At this moment, I only own one semihollow, one classical and one acoustic/electric fretless bass, all in Standard tuning. (11.) However I do not intend to add another classical or bass to my arsenal.

In addition, one of the customs I'm having built has a HB in the bridge with a P90 in the neck, and I'm having one of my other, older solidbodies converted to that configuration. One of them will be tuned to NST.

One of my guitars is a Fernandes Ravelle with a Sustainer, just gotten for my birthday in a October, tuned to Standard. Love it! However, I'm not sure at this point whether it will remain tuned to Standard or get re-tuned to NST. At this time, I have not decided whether I LIKE having a Sustainer enough to want one for both tunings.

Then we get into areas where there is a bit of overlap...but even there, nuances exist. For example, I have more than one acoustic tuned to Standard. However, my Tacoma Roadking is much better unplugged, and my Jon Kammerer- despite decent projection and tone- is a thinline designed to be used with an amplifier.

And at this time, I'm considering broadening my horizons into tunings like DADGAD and Open G. If I like any of those tunings enough, I'll need to cover my bases...

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-27-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #74
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
The Reverend I just purchased has a Bigsby...

I spoke too soon- the place I ought it from (online) apparently sold it in store before they looked at their online orders.

They've offered me a different color of the same (limited edition) guitar but I'm not 100% sure I care for it.

(Yeah, I know it will SOUND the same, but...the mojo would be different.)

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-27-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #75
fc89konkari
UG Addict

I read that Keith Richards has bought a plane hangar for his 1500+ guitars.

I've got two and I'm selling the other one. I can play all styles with one guitar and I just want to upgrade the pickups for more versatility. I like having one guitar or 2 more than having many. That way those 1 or 2 can be just excellent (and over the top lol) rather than having many mediocre guitars.

The biggest thing though is that I've created a really tight relationship with my #1 guitar. I know every square millimeter of it and every way it reacts to everything I do. It's like a long relationship with a woman. You'll know where to touch her and what makes her crazy, what pisses her off and which things will give her that every-day-happiness. Having just a couple of guitars and not changing your rig too often makes the guitar a part of you.

My 0.02
-Jonathan

http://soundcloud.com/joneh
My Youtube channel: /JoonatanH96
fc89konkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #76
MetalheadA7X
Funeral Thirst

I've got 5 including my Jazz bass and I play most of them on a regular basis. My S series is in Drop C for my band, my seven string is in B standard for blasting out Unearth tunes and my 770 is in E for general rock and roll playing. My 4th guitar is an Encore strat which currently has no strings and resides under my bed.

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
MetalheadA7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #77
iFender69

You can never have too many...i have six right now, and play them all....No7 won't be long away....
iFender69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: