Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 AM   #1
Natrone
UG's Festive Brad Paisley

Native Wood Guitar

Just thought I would pick the GB&C minds on an idea I recently had.

At some point I want to a Telecaster that is themed around my home state of Kansas. To go beyond simple aesthetic theming, I thought it would be cool to build the guitar with native woods. The problem is the lack of trees in Kansas. Essentially we have cottonwood, birch, and elm trees. Would any of those woods be suitable for an electric guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Natrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
LeviMan_2001

I think birch is similar to maple in hardnes and such.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Birch or elm would work for the body, Id go with elm for the neck as its quite dense and would make a fair replacement for maple.

Not sure you'd be able to find any local timber that would be suitable for a dark fretboard, but you could use birch for that too. I've seen guitars with arctic birch fretboards, highly figured, looks pretty amazing.

I'd avoid the cottonwood as I think its a fairly low quality timber used for basic box making and stuff like that. Wikipedia says its fiberous and coarse, so probably one to avoid.
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
RndyW0

I've gotta say, though I don't have much knowledge at all on wood density.

This is a really awesome idea man! Love how you want to make a guitar based around where you are from, combining 2 elements of your life together and in such a unique way!

As I said I can't really help answer your question but I just had to say that the idea is just lovely! Best of luck with building it!
RndyW0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
zeek7pc

What part of Kansas? I spend lots of time in Southeast Kansas and I would make a neck out of a damn hedge apple tree. You will need some industrial tools to cut and shape that stuff, but you won't find a stronger wood. As for the body Kansas is full of Locust and Hackberry, both very dense hard woods. Also red maple, white oak and hickory are native and very plentiful. Maybe a red cedar top to make it pretty?

Last edited by zeek7pc : 01-14-2013 at 10:31 AM.
zeek7pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Natrone
UG's Festive Brad Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RndyW0
I've gotta say, though I don't have much knowledge at all on wood density.

This is a really awesome idea man! Love how you want to make a guitar based around where you are from, combining 2 elements of your life together and in such a unique way!

As I said I can't really help answer your question but I just had to say that the idea is just lovely! Best of luck with building it!

Thanks so much! This idea kind of came out of moving to Texas for college and realizing both how much I love where I'm from and how much of an impact it has had on my life. I'm really looking forward to getting to work on this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek7pc
What part of Kansas? I spend lots of time in Southeast Kansas and I would make a neck out of a damn hedge apple tree. You will need some industrial tools to cut and shape that stuff, but you won't find a stronger wood. As for the body Kansas is full of Locust and Hackberry, both very dense hard woods. Also red maple, white oak and hickory are native and very plentiful. Maybe a red cedar top to make it pretty?

I'm from Wichita, so more south-central. Never thought about using a hedge apple tree! All the times I've thrown those green monstrosities at my friends, you'd think that'd be one of the first things to come to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray

Last edited by Natrone : 02-05-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Natrone is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: